Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824080
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Finally, Mountain Lion #2
By Popular Demand: Discussions related to Varmint Hunting
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Handloader

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

During forty years of varmint calling I have had good success on coyote and bobcats and only one mountain lion. This year I decided to commit most calling time for mountain lion and I finally got #2.

Female, 88lbs, 22 paces, 257AI, 100gr TSX, little pelt damage. 7am. Fawn bleats.

To refine my mountain lion orientation, I placed a number of requests with several websites and got a lot of assistance and suggestions. Some were good.

It took me 14 stands to get this one. Each stand was three to four hours duration. The main challenge (other than being in an area where there are mountain lions) is being there at the right time; mountain lions have large territorials and, hey, they may not be hungry even if they are around.

Discipline has been needed to not shoot at other critters that come to the call. Coyotes, for example, often will sneak by for a peek. In the course of this calling period, one nice bobcat came in as well. Not pulling the trigger is tough when a bobcat is staring at you 40 yards away.

There are some exceptionally talented mountain lion callers in Arizona and several have suggested using mountain lion vocalizations as the best way to get a response. I chose the fawn bleat because it was easier to master but I would like to become proficient with the lion vocals and understand what they mean.

Having a mountain lion come to the call is a highpoint in calling for me. I don't want to use dogs or hire guides, so this has been doubly rewarding.

Have any of you had much success with calling lions? What suggestions do you have?
Flint54

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

Shocked My Hats off to You? Fantastic job Hnadloader. I only know of two other people that have called in a Mountain Lion over the past 25 years, you are # three! Salute I myself and my partner back in 82 - 85 were stationed in Sacramento, CA. We made our extra $$ harvesting yotes, bobcats, etc. We tried the whole time with no luck on the ML but made a healthy income off the other hides. They were fetching a premium back then. Again congratulations, Please post a pic of your trophy.
tbox61

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

Handloader:
Congrats to you! I can't imagine what a rush that would be to take a lion! I know what it was like when I took my first bobcat. Kind of puts things in perspective at that point, you are at the bottom of the food chain!
Tim

heritage1550

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

Handloader, congrats from me too. Number two is fantastic. I haven't even SEEN number one yet. I've been told we got big cats here in East Texas but you sure can't prove that by me. Of course after Rita blew through any cats we had are probably long gone.
Congrats again.
coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

Handloader,
I thought that was you on HFH.

Congrads again, my friend! Very Happy

Handloader

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

coyotehunter_1: sidenote

I appreciate your response and observation.

Obsessions are hard to moderate and that includes "the forums". Get involved and soon your TV time goes down, books get set aside and the truck doesn't get washed as often. Obsessions can become addictions; like how often does one check to see the new messages and, sometimes, feel compelled to respond. Maybe, this should be a subject for discussion?

Perhaps we talk certain subects to death. I mean when you are on the computer rather than out hunting, that is a sure sign things have gone too far. Reloading and cleaning guns still takes priority so I feel I am not too far gone.

Now excuse me I need to go to HFH, and then . . .
coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

Handloader,

Yep, your absolutely correct, a man’s got to keep his priorities in order! Laughing Very Happy

calsibley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

Hello Hadloader,

Congratulations on number two. It sounds like you really had to work for that rascal. You're passing up shots at bobcat and coyote while in my area we rarely see either. It sounds like you really know what you're doing. I envy you your expertise. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

Congrats Handloader! Cool
sniper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

WOW! That must put you in the top percentage of all varmint callers. How is the air, way up there? Very Happy That is an accomplishment to be proud of.
Handloader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

I tend to believe that calling a mountain lion is more a product of persistence and basic technique. My observation relative to coyote calling is that callers using a wide range of approaches specific to calling proficiency, time on stand, etc all have reasonable success provided they stay as motionless as possible. Evenso, I've had experience with one calling buddy that got up to take a whiz during the stand only to see two coyotes curiously observing the act. Go figure.

Lion calling (this from my limited experience) is mainly a matter of careful stand selection, staying on stand longer ( three to four hours), using different calls and being blessed with the timing of the stand. Lions cover large territories and even if they are present they may not be motivated to answer a bleating fawn or goat call. Calling any varmints successfully requires discipline, more so in the case of lions. At least for me.

But, it is a rush. And addictive. Since my post starting this thread I have been on stand five more times. The only thing I got was a few ant bites and some coyotes investigating the noise. Didn't shoot them -- another aspect of discipline. When I got the female previously mentioned, I had passed on a pair of coyotes that came in early and fast.

I'll try again during the next moon phase. Hopefully, it won't take another decade to call one in.
calsibley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

Hello Handloader,

Maybe you can answer a question for me. There was a picture on the internet on several different forums that showed a mule tossing a cougar about with its teeth. My understanding is the picture is bogus, and that the cougar was already dead when this happened. I can't picture draught animals actually killing something as fierce as a cougar. Do certain animals have an aversion to mountain lions and actually show no fear of attacking them? Thanks and best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
Handloader

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally, Mountain Lion #2 Reply with quote

calsibley: I don't know moutain lion behavior well enough to respond. Of all the animals we hunt, I believe the cats are subject to more opinion than any others. Mostly cats are reclusive and just to see one is a treat and memorable.

When I have discussed behavior with experienced and successful cat hunters, I have noted a wide range of opinion on many aspects as well as some generalized agreements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting
Page 1 of 1