Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irv S
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys Reply with quote

Put the bullet weights, velocities, and bullet diameters of common cartridges in the "Pointblank " program available here and run some Taylor Knockout values and you can get a good understanding as to what is better. Many common cartridges are useful for broadside shots up to 300 yards. For raking and longer shots look at the bigger bores and not just the magnums. The larger bore cartridges in similar cartridge cases (.358 Win vs .308 Win, .35 Whelen vs .30-06 etc) are better elk rounds. The .270 is a fine cow elk round under 300 yards, but serious elk rounds start with .338 diameter bullets. Although small bullets into the vitals are lethal, bigger bullets into the same spot will shorten the tracking and can help prevent the animal from making it down a canyon where it needs to be packed out steak by steak. A .300 Win Mag is not much better than a .30-06, while a .35 Whelen is a worthwhile step up.

(edit: I omitted the 8mms, because I have not used them, but, Boddington, who favors big bullets, endorces the 8mm mag and the new .323 short Winmag could be good).

Last edited by Irv S on Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Reply with quote

Welcome to the HuntingNut Irv S. Sit and stay Awhile Smile
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Crackshot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Irv S. This is a very nice place, grab a cup of coffee and enoy!

buffybr
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys Reply with quote

I don't think you can go wrong with a .30-06 with 180 gr premium bullets. I've shot 30 some elk over the years, all DIY hunts, most on public land, most of them were bulls (2 that scored over 330 B&C net), and most were one shot kills. I shot one with an arrow, one with a .257 Ackley (I was sheep hunting, and a big 6-pt couldn't be passed up), the rest were shot with a .30-06 or the .30-06 rechambered to .30 Gibbs.

Proper placement into the heart/lungs with a premium bullet shot within a reasonable range (250 yds) are most important.

Hunted in Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, Alaska, Canada's Northwest Territories and Quebec, South Africa's Limpopo, Free State, Kwa-Zulu Natal, and Eastern Cape Provinces, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, New Zealand, and Azerbaijan.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys Reply with quote

Some good info here! Wonder what captbrian picked?

I haven't hunted elk but I picked up a .35 Whelen, Rem 700 CDL, in case I get to someday. Ammo isn't an issue since I load my own (unless I forget it of course!). I like the idea of a bigger bore in something that won't belt me out from under my hat.

I wonder how the .338 Federal would work on elk? Anyone tried it yet?

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Handloader

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Handloader...No offence intended, but the elk run the deer off? In the Cascades of Oregon and Washington there is a very healthy elk population as well as a very healthy deer population living in the same areas. Not sure why elk would push deer of the same range as they don't eat the same thing. Elk are grazers and deer are browzers...

Hey Bushey,

It's only a personal observation, but, one shared with many that have extended experience with hunting in Arizona. Our elk herds have expanded notably over the past four decades whereas the deer numbers have been stable, slightly declining or increasing depending on specific areas. When elk begin to dominate an area, the mulies are driven to lowr elevations and hunting patterns must change to accomodate this shift.

It could be that the Cascade area you mention has enough feed to sustain both elk and deer in the same area. It could be that many Arizona areas are marginal in the amount of feed available. But, it could also be that my observations stink. Recently, though, I got bull elk #20, a nice younger 6X6 in the 340 range. This was after several days of hard hunting and glassing during which numerous elk were seen but no mulies; in 1969 I had hunted the same area for mule deer and had my pick but saw no elk.
300wsman
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Reply with quote

captbrian wrote:
i've never been elk hunting so experienced to me means if you been once when it comes to recommendations. there is a good chance i'll be going to colorado for an elk hunt next fall, and i'm in need of a new rifle. i just bought savage weather warrior in 7mm-08 for georgia whitetails, but i did get permission from the little lady to buy a new one sometime between now and when i go next fall.

that being said, i have been really, really impressed with the shooting and the price of my savage, so i'll probably be leaning towards that make. from what i understand, more important than the make of the gun is the quality of the optics. i'm not planning on skimping on the optics. now that that's covered, which caliber? i think i want a short action. after you guy's input that idea might change. i know that the old .300 win mag is a given when it comes to elk hunting, but what are the thoughts on calibers such as the .270 wsm and .300 wsm? i'm open for any other suggestions as well. i have a .30-06 as well, but it's a semi-auto and isn't particularly accurate. even if a .30-06 was the only gun allowed by law, i'd buy a new one in a bolt...catch my drift? thanks in advance.
300wsman
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Reply with quote

captbrian wrote:
i've never been elk hunting so experienced to me means if you been once when it comes to recommendations. there is a good chance i'll be going to colorado for an elk hunt next fall, and i'm in need of a new rifle. i just bought savage weather warrior in 7mm-08 for georgia whitetails, but i did get permission from the little lady to buy a new one sometime between now and when i go next fall.

that being said, i have been really, really impressed with the shooting and the price of my savage, so i'll probably be leaning towards that make. from what i understand, more important than the make of the gun is the quality of the optics. i'm not planning on skimping on the optics. now that that's covered, which caliber? i think i want a short action. after you guy's input that idea might change. i know that the old .300 win mag is a given when it comes to elk hunting, but what are the thoughts on calibers such as the .270 wsm and .300 wsm? i'm open for any other suggestions as well. i have a .30-06 as well, but it's a semi-auto and isn't particularly accurate. even if a .30-06 was the only gun allowed by law, i'd buy a new one in a bolt...catch my drift? thanks in advance.
metz3601

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys Reply with quote

Ive always been partial to my Remmington 700 chambered in the 7mm Mag. Never once has it let me down. Good flat trajectory, and will put down an elk with ease. Usually i go with the 150 grain nosler ballistic tip and 60 grains of imr 4381.
slots918

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys Reply with quote

I;ve used a 30-06 with 180 grain bullets (factory loads)for over thirty years of Elk hunting and have not been disappointed, but I think the main thing is not how big of caliber (Iwouldn't use a 243 though) but what is the gun that a person can shoot accuratly, 30 caliber or up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 4 of 4