Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Best Concealed Handgun
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

I just picked up my Concealed Carry Permit last month.
Thanks to Bushmaster helping me on some nice reloads, I was able to shoot pretty well with my Model 36 Smith & Wesson .38 Chief's Special.
A gun like that is very easy to carry around.

I use my Banchi belt holster, and with the pistol's low profile nobody can see that I am carrying a weapon.

Another nice thing about this type of gun is that if your wife is anything like my wife, she won't go anywhere with me if I bring the gun.
Therefore, I have a ankle holster that she doesn't know that I own, so what she doesn't know, won't hurt her.

Eric

NRA Life Member
gelandangan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

In my limited opinion (since CCW is not permited in Aussie, not even a slingshot!!) a revolver is always better than an auto. Eventhough an auto may carry more pellets, a revolver especially a double action type, are definitely way more reliable than an auto.

Emotional thinker sees guns as a realisation of violence, where logical thinkers sees them as a tool. Your wife must be an emotional thinker. Try get her some brass soldered together to form a flower Smile see if that will convert her Smile

I have no problem with the old lady, she shoots both paper and warm flesh. But she is squeamish about butchering though ... Cant ask for all..

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

I love my wife dearly.
However I think that she drinks of the Cool-Aid.
We agree on everything politicly, but she is a Teacher. Sad
Teachers over here, put the check behind the donkey's [democrats] hind end.
She even laughed when our 16yr old Son and I went bonkers when the dixie chicks won at the Grammies. Mad

I just work around her liberal tendencies, and everything goes smoothly. Laughing

She is great with guns and shoots well, but thinks that the police can always be there to help. [liberal thinking] Shocked
She is from the city, and I am from the woods. Best thing that she ever did was marry a guy like me to get her to live where we can pee outside, and shoot out our back door. Very Happy
We have three hunting dogs, two four wheel drives, and a houseful of Guns, sooooo I wear the ankle holster, and she is happy, so I am happy. Very Happy

Eric Confused

NRA Life Member
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

Some Semi-Auto pistols are pretty dependable, in my opinion any good handgun be it semi-auto or a revolver unless they were produced really badly probably wont ever give a user any real problems in its lifetime. Smile

Dimitri

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

Elyboy...You really think that she doesn't know that you are carrying a weapon? Really..... Very Happy How long have you been married??? Very Happy

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Handloader

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

Regardless the choice, accuracy and speed are the goals. Most defense shooting scenarios take place in under 3 seconds and under 7 yards. A good goal is to be able to deploy and hit center mass in under one second, and, there lies the main problem. Few that carry can do this. High quality holsters and belts are a significant aid along with lots of practice.

Attend several of the premium self defense academies and they will emphasize the "dry fire" practice. Over and over. Those I personally know that can meet the one second goal can do this. Even under stress, like when 20 others are watching and jeering (simulated excercises). Dry fire practice should be periodic and many recommend a weekly session of several dozen draws. (All safety proceedures emphasized.) Muscle memory begins with 2,500 to 3,000 repetitions as does reflex or instinctive aiming. Augmenting dry fire practice with significant range time hones this essential skill. This is one major reason that accessories such as lasers and night sights are not overly common at the professional level. Whether good light, low light or no light, accuracy and speed rule.

Revolvers have the advantage of being point and shoot firearms, however, pistols such as Glock, XD, SIG etc also are point and shoot, and like a revolver, without the need to find a safety to disable. Pistols with safeties, such as Beretta and some S&W models are often carried with a round chambered and the safety "off", which duplicates SIG, Glock etal. Pistols are so good today that any concern about reliability with duty class firearms is moot, provided that the firearm has been thoroughly broken in and tested without failure.

Ammo should always be factory fresh -- never reloads. The specific ammo brand should, where possible, match that of local law enforcement. Whether one chooses Gold Dot, HydraShock, SXT, CorBon or others is not critical as long as the ammo is premium hollow point. The Marshall Sanow Index of One Shot Stops, current edition, shows Remington's Golden Sabre as the top ammo in many calibers with HydraShock and SXT getting high marks. The same index shows that 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP all range in the 92 to 96% OSS when using said ammo.
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

Been married for 20yrs this June 21, Bushmaster.
You are most likely correct. Shocked

Eric

NRA Life Member
d_hoffman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

It's long been argued that the .357 is the best defence weapon. I posted this before. You can get an airweight .357 snub nose that can easily be carried right in you front pocket of a pair of shorts along with something like a hankerchief to hide the outline of it. It could be 95 degrees out, be dressed in short, tank top and sandals and still be carriying that .357. Even though autos can carry more rounds, revolvers are more dependable.

Remington makes a really good round for that very purpose of being in places where you might be concerned about your surroundings. It's a lead hollow point that's a relatively soft lead that will deliver immediate expansion giving your attacker the full power of it. If you load your own with that bullet you can develope this round so that you get good power from it and yet you don't have to worry about a complete pass through. If for some reason you do have an errant round you don't have to worry about it blasting through walls or even windows. It'll break the window but not go much further than that.
roklok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

I agree with the small .357 being a top choice. I carried a S&W 640 .357 daily for ten years in an inside the waistband holster. Even in the heat of summer all you need is an untucked t-shirt to conceal it. Utterly dependable and easily concealable, this 2 1/8 barreled double action only revolver is also surprisingly accurate. I once killed a groundhog with mine at 128 yards(witnessed and verified with laser rangefinder). In the wintertime I carry a fullsize Kimber 1911 at times but if I could only have one concealed carry gun it would definitely be the 640. I like it so much that about 4 years after I bought my first 640 I bought an identical second one just as a spare. It remains unfired. The newer light alloy .357s would be even easier to carry but I wonder if they would hold up as well to extensive firing.
4rum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

Sometimes the best carry weapon is simply the one you have. If one is looking to purchase, there is loads of good advice already given here. But if you already have a handgun, feel the need to carry and don't have 3,4,5 hundred dollars (or more), then learn to accomodate what you have, learn to use it well, and verify it's dependability. Shoot it often as you can. Handle and store it safely in the home, and take comfort in that you CAN own it, CAN carry concealed, and are better off with the arm than without it.
d_hoffman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

Taurus makes a few ultra lights in total titanium like the mod. 617 SH2C which holds 7 rds. and weighs 19.9 oz. or the mod. 651 SHC that holds 5 rds. weighs 17.3 oz. and has a zero profile hammer, or the mod. 650 SS2 5 shot hammerless DAO at 23.9 oz. They also make a few .38spl+P rated that are ultralights. Lots of good choices for concealed carry.

PaulS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

guns from big to small, calibers that go from 25 to 50 caliber, velocities that range from 800 to 1800 and it will all boil down to two shots, fired in the dark, instinctively, at a target that you can see but not much more, emotions that run from fear of death to anger at what you are having to do.
In that compressed moment in time you have to see your target, what is around and behind your target, if there are others that pose a threat, where you can get to cover, who else might be put in danger because of your actions and make up your mind if you will pull that gun that you carry to defend yourself or others.
In a moment your life will change. It will change whether you pull your gun or not. it will change because you will find out in that moment what you are capable of doing to save your life or the lives of the ones you love.
Practice to be the best you can be. Walk through every conceivable senario that might happen in your mind. Get used to watching for cover everywhere you go. Always be aware of your surroundings. Most of all, realize that having a gun on your side is not a reason to go into areas that you wouldn't go into unarmed. Your best defense is never putting yourself in harms way in the first place. Don't take risks with your life or the lives of those you care about. Since I started carrying 35 years ago I found that I took fewer chances. I stayed on the well lit streets where the crowds were. I actually took fewer risks than I did before - because if I have to pull the gun on my hip somebody is going to die. It might be me.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
4rum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

You close with a very valid point (the whole post was excellent by the way). Some might think that the weapon's presence is deterrant enough. Maybe it will be, maybe it wont.
d_hoffman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

PaulS wrote:
guns from big to small, calibers that go from 25 to 50 caliber, velocities that range from 800 to 1800 and it will all boil down to two shots, fired in the dark, instinctively, at a target that you can see but not much more, emotions that run from fear of death to anger at what you are having to do.
In that compressed moment in time you have to see your target, what is around and behind your target, if there are others that pose a threat, where you can get to cover, who else might be put in danger because of your actions and make up your mind if you will pull that gun that you carry to defend yourself or others.
In a moment your life will change. It will change whether you pull your gun or not. it will change because you will find out in that moment what you are capable of doing to save your life or the lives of the ones you love.
Practice to be the best you can be. Walk through every conceivable senario that might happen in your mind. Get used to watching for cover everywhere you go. Always be aware of your surroundings. Most of all, realize that having a gun on your side is not a reason to go into areas that you wouldn't go into unarmed. Your best defense is never putting yourself in harms way in the first place. Don't take risks with your life or the lives of those you care about. Since I started carrying 35 years ago I found that I took fewer chances. I stayed on the well lit streets where the crowds were. I actually took fewer risks than I did before - because if I have to pull the gun on my hip somebody is going to die. It might be me.

.and all of that has to be done in the blink of an eye before you decide to whether or not to fire your weapon......... Scary isn't it?
sniper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Concealed Handgun Reply with quote

[quote="munky871"]I. I'm wondering what would be a good and small self defense gun. I'm looking to spend no more than 4 or 5 hundred bucks. And again, I want something small. /quote]

Munky: Congrats. Carry in good health. Very Happy

Read PaulS and d_hoffman's posts several times.

Small is easily achievable nowadays.
Revolvers will jam, if not kept clean. (Don't ask!) Sad
There are laser grips available for a lot of modern firearms.

My presonal favorites are: The S&W model 60, 3"barrel, adjustable sights, 357 magnum. Why adjustables? In my youth, I read a lot of Skeeter Skelton, and he said they were more versatile. Long as it is a good reason, huh? Very Happy Fixed ain't bad, at 10-15 yds, either.

Browning BDA .380.

Bersa 380 Thunder.

The Kahr T-9. a bit large, but, I am rather big boned. Razz I tend to go out just where the gun should go in, so I can end up looking like Agent Reed on Criminal Minds.

I found, even years go, when the arthritis was not as prevalent, that I could not work the slide of the excellent Kahr K9 very well. You might want to check that with any auto pistol.

For loads, check out Chuckhawks.com.Pay for a quarter's membership. He has lots of opinion, IMHO, good, about carry rounds, etc.

If you really want to get into the nitty gritty, get your library to get you a copy of Evan Marshall's book, "Handgun Stopping Power"( I think. The one with the picture of the bullet just blowing through a block of gelatin.)

If you are flush, go to EvanMarshall.com., and buy it. He will thank you.
I can't afford it. Like Vince says:" Being a pensioner sucks!"

Forget the documentation, unless you like to read that stuff, and go to the charts and tables in the rear. You will soon get an idea of what works and what doesn't. Don't get hung up on 10% or less difference.

I personally carry the Speer 135gr JHP .38 Spl. +P load. Less recoil than some. Expen$ive, but I also have others that are less expensive, and work about as well. I handload to approximate recoil levels for practice.

Also, search under Stephen A. Camp's Handguns. He is a reasonable, apparently experienced handgunner, and has a whole section on "other handguns" which may be valuable.

Regardless of what you may think of the Marshall-Fackler debate, Marshall, almost single-handedly, has been the irritant causing ammo manufactrers to improve their product.

As a result, ANY ammunition from major manufacturers will do the job very well, and needn't cost a left ---uhhh---arm. Very Happy

Good luck in your search. Flag

Last edited by sniper on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 2 of 3