Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Bah, I choked!
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Bah, I choked! Reply with quote

I just got home from 3 days of bow elk hunting. I had my chance and blew it. Still have several weeks of season left so I'll give it some more trys.

First couple of days the elk were off the property but early saturday morning they moved back on. Elk dont need alot of water but I had planned to hunt them over a small spring they tend to like. According to the trailcam I had set up they usually watered around 7 or 8pm. I hike up into the canyon yesterday at 5pm and was startled to hear the herd bull elk scream out his challenge to the other bulls... THEY WERE ALREADY AT THE WATERING HOLE!

I got close enough to view it through the binos and sure as heck, stupid elk were completely surrounding my blind! Wind was perfect so I kept behind trees and brush and made my way up to it, got 30 yards from a cow watering but too many limbs in my way. She saw my movement and pinned me down for 5 min while the other elk watered. She finally moved out of view and I hurried closer knowing the elk were ready to head out (the bull had already moved farther up the canyon and was calling the rest of the herd to follow). I moved up to where the elk was watering and found another, at what I assumed to be 40 yards. She was nice and broadside so I drew and aimed... it was then that I realized how shakey I was with excitement. I held off releasing for just a second or two to try and steady myself and that was all it took for her to take a leap out of sight.

They werent scared off so I shadowed them up the mountain and got within 40yards of them a couple more times, once within 40 yards of several large spikes (seriously... like easily +36" spikes) but it was too brushy for a shot. I followed them until I couldnt keep up and returned to camp.

Thats about it... couple days of not seeing hide nor hair of an elk then 1 evening where 80ish beat me to my blind. I guess I cant complain, I had a chance but didnt feel good about the shot at the moment (I'd rather pass than take a chance at wounding something).

I'll head on down a couple evenings this week and then this weekend too Smile

-DallanC
george20042007

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bah, I choked! Reply with quote

DallanC, I was just thinking as I read this & came to the conclusion that my 45-70 would have been perfect for the situation. I'm not a bow hunter. Good luck on your next venture out.
Keep it coming...
squirrelbait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bah, I choked! Reply with quote

Bah, hell, Dallan, in my book you had an incredible 3 days....just getting out and then topping it off with the final day. It's not meat in the freezer......yet but I am sure an outing to remember.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bah, I choked! Reply with quote

I have to agree with squirrelbait Dallan.

I would say sorry mate, but you have had an incredible experience.....one that is almost as good as bringing the meat home. You have had a great time stalking and got closer than I ever could. Well done mate, well done.

Good luck over the next few nights.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bah, I choked! Reply with quote

Oooo a 45-70 woulda been AWSOME in this situation. You guys cant believe the size of the bull in this herd. Even though I didnt have a trophy tag for it, it was AMAZING to watch it walk around bugling.

That said ya, it was pretty exciting to sneak up on a herd of elk that close. I feel bad I didnt take the shot but I guarentee you I'd feel worse if I rushed a shot and made a poor hit. The elk will be back and I just got an additional cow tag that I can use rifle on that starts in a month (and goes for 3 months LOL).

Pretty fun... I wish I would have put a whisker bisquit on my bow though... I was having a heck of a time trying to walk / sneak though the oak brush while trying to keep an arrow on the rest. Too late to buy one and practice with it for this year though (I got one for wife last year, it worked great IMO).

One sad thing to note: my trailcam batterys had died so I had no picts of elk on it enough though they were in there thick as fleas. Its got new batts in it now so it should be good for a while.

Heading down to hunt tomorrow evening (tues) and probably wed or thursay evenign then this weekend.

-DallanC
squirrelbait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bah, I choked! Reply with quote

Best of luck to ya Dallan.
popgun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bah, I choked! Reply with quote

I'm glad you had fun! Knowing you, you will be eating elk steaks shortly.
I finally got off of my duff this weekend and put out my Game Spy 200 trail cam over an already established salt lick. I also put out a simple tube feeder full of corn to sweeten the deal. I will go back and check the results next week and see if I need to turn the flash on for the night shots. I put a solar pannel out on mine to keep the battery charged. So far it has kept the charge up in the 99% range (It won't read 100%).
As for the Whisker Biscuit, you should be able to get it installed and sighted in real fast. You just have to dedicate some time to do it with all the rest of the things you have in the fire right now.
Here is wishing you the best of luck on your next elk expedition!

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
glockman55

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bah, I choked! Reply with quote

Stick with it Dallan, you'll get one, Good Luck, Wish I was in your shoes you lucky SOB
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bah, I choked! Reply with quote

Dallan,

Squirrelbait is right, good outing, didnt get your elk but as you said you have time and you also did have a pretty good trip! Wink

Dimitri

wncchester

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bah, I choked! Reply with quote

Ah, great, so the game is still important to you!

I always feel "buck fever" too, effectively overcoming it is part of the hunt to me. If that excitement ever goes away I'll probably give up hunting because the challange will be dead. 'Till then I'll press on and you will too because the fun of the hunt is still there!

Luck, Jim <><
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 1