Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
English Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

Now I have more than one calibre to play with, I need to look at a hunting bullet for the .243 to be used for the smaller deer species - roe, fallow & possibly sika.
(I'm good to go on larger stuff with the .270).
I'm thinking 85-100gr bullets will fit the bill & would welcome input from anyone who has experience of using this calibre for deer.
Rifle has a 22" 1:10 twist barrel.
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

95-grain Nosler partition would be a very good choice. 100-grain bullets are treading on the edge of stability with your twist rate unless you choose one with a short length and stubby nose. Those sleek plastic tips are seductive but add length and require faster twists.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

I developed a load for my .243 using Sierra's 85 grain Gameking (#1530 I believe) that turns in routine sub 3/4" groups. I haven't used it on deer as of yet, but it has an excellent reputation. I'm planning to use the rifle this season, once we have a chance to hunt some of the river bottoms a friend has access to.

Loke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

100 gr Hornady BTSP.

Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

Im sure its a 87grn hornady that guys over here have used forever on reds and sika.
people I know swear by them.

slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

I prefer to use no-lead bullets for hunting. The most lethal one I have found is the new CavityBack MKZ

www.cavitybackbullets....243-92.htm

The MKZs have been very accurate for me. They expand 3 pedals more than double their bore size creating a tri-star wound cavity that promotes bleeding. I've shot 2 elk with a 105 in 6.8 that just dropped.

I also have had good accuracy with the 80gr GMX and they also have good expansion.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

Like Elvis, I find the best accuracy from my Weatherby Vanguard in .243 is using the Hornady 87gr HP. Best 100m group for 5 shots is .7 of an inch and if I do my bit it will always shoot sub MOA.

I haven’t used it on deer yet, but rabbits out to 200m or further are ‘red mist’.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
tikkat3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

I had the same rifle as Vince
For factory loads it loved the Remington 95grn Accutips
For reloading I used the same as HunterJoe Sierra 85grns
Mainly used on pigs and they were very affective
English Mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. - keep 'em coming.
I have to admit to an aversion towards plastic tipped bullets for shooting something I want to eat, as experience has been that there's rather more blood shot meat from them. slimjim's suggestion looks nice but nigh on $1 a bullet (never mind a round...) is unjustifiable TBH.
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

You might try plain old Remington 100-grain Core Lockt bullets. They are made with a somewhat blunt point compared to the more modern spire points. This reduces the length and should be more stable. I have had several 1:10" .243 rifles that shot them well but got a little erratic with the longer poly-tipped or boat-tail 100-grain bullets.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
PaulS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

You want one bullet for all three species so you are looking for a bullet that will work on deer from around 50 pounds up to 300 pounds. Most any hunting bullet 85 grains or heavier will be good in that range as long as it's not a partition or similarly heavily built bullet.
A Speer 85 or 90 grain spitzer bullet, or a Sierra 85 or 100 grain spitzer bullets are inexpensive, well built and accurate bullets made for hunting. I have never had problems with either brand.
The roe deer are small enough that most any expanding bullet won't have much of a chance to expand but if you use a varmint bullet you are going to ruin more meat than you save. The other two are big enough that you could expect any of the bullets listed to do a good job.

I really don't see any need for premium bullets in this case at all.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

Paul...with all due respect I must dissagree with reguards to the partition as the front half WILL expand even on small stuff.
there are better choices to be sure for smaller stuff but the Partition will still work.

slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

If a bullet doesn't immediately expand on impact, they will yaw and tumble. I have found that hunting bullets typically have expanded within 2 inches of penetration.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
PaulS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

I'm am in no way saying the premium bullets won't work on these smaller animals.
I just don't believe there is any reason for premium bullets. Speer and Sierra will perform well when the bullet is placed in the vitals. Using a premium bullet will make little difference in the speed of the kill.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a .243 deer hunting bullet Reply with quote

looking at the three species Mike mentions.......I would happily take on all three with .223 with a 52grn hp speer anyday of the week out to 150 yards....
find a load your rifle likes and go for it....anything from speer just has to be good (havent used a speer pill I dont like yet).
Sika are over here too and its a very cunning/ tricky wee customer to bush hunt. Ive shot them with 130 grn ballistic tips in .270 and come to think of it Radar shot his last one with 55grn ballistic tip in .223
maybe a good place to start looking....

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 6