· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

.44 Magnum durability
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roklok

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

I just picked up the redhawk that I ordered and am very impressed. I havent shot it yet as it was dark before I got home. For some reason I never saw many Redhawks at the dealers I frequent,just super redhawks and had never handled one. It is definitely much beefier than the super blackhawk,the frame and the rear of the barrel much thicker especially around the forcing cone.The cylinder to barrel gap is also very tight,with the thin film of oil from the factory on the face of the cylinder I cant see any light through the gap.Cant wait to shoot it!!
Handloader

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

roklok: congratualtions on the new Ruger. What impresses me (its subjective, I know) is the Redhawk fits my hand better than other 44 magnums I've owned or handled. I liked it so much I bought a SS version awhile back and it has performed to and exceeded expectations.

It's heavy enough to marginalize some of the recoil of the max loads and the main reason I bought it was for max loads. Accuracy has been top notch, too. I've been using 180gr jacketed bullets @ 1,660fps. Now, several thousand rounds later, it remains tight and hasn't developed any end play. Its fun to shoot mild loads as well and I have put lots of Lyman 429421 Keith bullets though it @ 925fps.

So, let's have your report! Whatcha like and whatca don't like?
roklok

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

Handloader,I agree with you on the grip it feels great.I had never handled a Redhawk before and was planning on putting a rubber grip on it but that plan went out the window as soon as I picked it up.It fits my hand perfectly.So many handgun grips position the knuckle on my middle finger right behind the trigger guard where it gets rapped with every shot.This grip is slim enough at the top that my knuckle is past the guard.I had to round the corners off my Bisleys grip to solve this problem.
david54755
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

I haven't used the Super Blackhawk but I've been around Model 29's and my old Blackhawk Flat-top 7 1/2" bl has digested pounds and pounds of wheelweights cast in the 250 gr Keith SW mold that Lyman makes. Now I'm not loading the heaviest loads most of the time. I favor 9 gr Unique or 18 gr 2400 but I use 22 gr 2400 fairly regularly and I have also used 26 gr 4227 with the 240 gr Speer jacketed. (I thought it was too hot when I realized it's the same load that the Lyman book listed as max for the Marlin 336 rifle.
Treat the old Ruger's right and they will quite literally perform well for you for a lifetime.
Dave
roklok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

Just thought I would update this subject.I just got my Bisley back from Ruger and am very pleased.They had it for about 5 weeks and not only did they replace the cracked barrel they replaced some internal components(they didnt specify which ones,but the cylinder locks up a lot tighter than it used to) and gave the gun a new blueing job.It looks brand new! It was in pretty good shape but had some blueing wear on gripframe and triggerguard from handling and front of frame from holster. All free of charge.
PaulS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

roklok,

Isn't it nice to have a company stand behind their merchandise?

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

Never owned a 44 MAG but I have shot a gew of them. My magnums have always been .357 S & W used for target shooting. My first was a Model 19 which I promptly shot loose and split the forcing cone on.....I didn't realise they were only meant to have an occasional diet of magnum loads. My last was a 586 S & W and that thing was great.

Saw a Model 29 "go auto" on the sillouette range. wtf A mate touched off his first round SA and the damn thing fired two rounds. Shocked We have no idea how it happened, but the action had been "tuned" by a guy who is now known to be a bit "dodgy". We think it may have, under recoil (they were HOT loads) pushed the hammer back, allowed the cylinder to rotate onto the next round, then the hammer dropped setting off the next round. The mate said that the recoil of two rounds was very heavy....he got rid of the gun after that and bought a Dan Wesson. The DW was the gun of choice back then (late 80's) for Revolver Sillouette.

The only pistol I would trust with a steady diet of heavy loads was my TC Contender in 30.30....loved it.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Crackshot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

I have had my 44mag Desert eagle for 15 years, It has shot everything from heavy hitters and light (not to light or it wont function) loads and Its still booming right along, It has only had one spring kit put in it in this time, and I tear it down every other Month to check for cracks and wear, Have found none.
I have a Smith & have had a few Rugers(44magnums) in the past, by Far the toughest hand cannon I own is the Desert Eagle.
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
roklok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

I am sure the Desert Eagle is a fine handgun,unfortunatly in PA they are not legal for hunting.
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

Sorry bout that, I was just telling my experience's.
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
roklok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

No problem Crackshot,if I ever move west like I would like to I will have to check out a Desert Eagle.PA has some rather restrictive laws on legal hunting weapons.No autoloading rifles or pistols.I break the law every year by shooting squirrels with my .54 flintlock,PA law says no bigger than .40 caliber.(dont tell anyone HaHa).Its also not legal to shoot small game with a rifle or handgun bigger than .23 caliber.If I wish to shoot squirrels or rabbits in season with my .357 revolver or my .54 why should they care?
waumo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

"Saw a Model 29 "go auto" on the sillouette range. wtf A mate touched off his first round SA and the damn thing fired two rounds."

A buddy shooting my 629 had the same experience. While we would like to think it was some strange problem with the revolver, it was simply that he was not used to that kind of "kick" when the pistol recoiled - we both have no doubt he pulled the trigger again when making a "death grip" on the gun.

I've shot a lot of stiff loads through both my Mdl 29 and 629 with no problems. I've heard the story many times that the S&W's won't hold up, but I haven't
experienced it myself. By "stiff loads" though, I DO NOT mean overloads.

I'm probably just lucky.
Crackshot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

waumo:
I have never heard of a double action revolver doing this,(but I suppose its possible) But have had an auto do it on several occasions, we have a tin roof over our shooting tables at the club, there are several holes in the roof from this happening with auto pistols. 10mm's, 50ae's, and what not.

Handloader

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

roklok: by now you have probably shot the Redhawk a bit. What is your evaluation of the handgun?

Many enthusiasts that use their 44 Magnums a lot are becoming more aware of the Redhawks, their durability and their accuracy. Having shot two Model 29s loose over the years, owning a Redhawk has been a definite upgrade, enough so that I sold the 29s recently. One had been rebuilt by S&W twice but neither gave the accuracy of the Ruger, although, candidly, the N frame Smiths are among the most elegant of handguns in my opinion.

For those that like to pour the lead downrange, we have seen many converts to Redhawks and Super Reds.
roklok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: .44 Magnum durability Reply with quote

Handloader,
I have put about 150 rounds through the Redhawk.So far I am pleased,time and many more rounds will tell the story but I believe that this revolver should stand up to a lifetime of use.It is built much heavier than most others.I did change the orange ramp front sight to the gold bead available from Ruger,am a little colorblind and the orange ramp did not stand out to me like the bead does.That improved my shooting considerably.I have not shot it at all off of bench or sandbags but sitting resting my wrists on my knees(the way I sight in most of my handguns,seems this gives a better picture of how it will hit offhand) I put 6 rounds into a 2 inch square at 35 yards.It does have more perceived recoil than my bisley with same loads but this is true with most double actions.The Bisleys grip allows gun to "roll"back in hand making recoil seem less(at least to me).One of these days when I am feeling a little brave I am going to shoot some of my 330 grain Garrett Hammerheads through it and see how they shoot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 3