· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Pistol Recommendations
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

I take my Restricted Firearms course in late April and am now doing the research on a 9mm or similar pistol. The 40mm seems popular around here. This is for target use on an outdoors range. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg on one nor get something that cause rotator cuff failure after a day of blasting paper. I am leaning to 9mm as I qualified with it while in the navy and later won a few competitions as a militia officer. That was the Browning of course and they are a bit expensive for a first pistol.

Since some of you have multiple pistols and lots more experience I am humbly asking for any advice to steer me in the right direction.

PaulS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

The 40 cal. is a good self defense pistol, good for moderate power competition, as it is about the same power factor as the 45 ACP and much better than a 9mm which is ballistically the same as the 38+P. I prefer revolvers as they are more flexible in the amount of power you can include in the reloads. In my 357 I can shoot 148 wadcutters at 600 fps all the way to 140 JHP at 1640 fps or 158 JSP to 1408 fps.

If you shoot only paper then you don't need any power but you do want the best accuracy. If you are shooting Hi-Power then you will need the power factor to be competitive. The 10mm, and rounds larger than 45 ACP are good candidates but they can be difficult to master and shoot well due to muzzle blast and recoil. Find a gun that fits your hands and holds as instinctively as possible and then fire some to find out how the recoil and blast affect you. If you are in to adding rails or special sights then you will have to address those concerns as well before making your purchase.
My main concerns would be:
Fit (to me and my application)
Construction (if it won't hold up to over 10000 rounds then it isn't strong enough)
Size (fit for conceal or the application of its use)
Accessability of ammo (it has to be available in some form to be used)

Paul

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

If you like and are familiar with the Browning HP I'd say get one! Might as well get what you like to start with. The 9 x 19mm is a good choice because ammo is plentiful and reasonably inexpensive (compared to others). Other handguns I'd recommend looking at (in no particular order) are the S&W M&Ps, Ruger SR9s, Springfield XDs, Steyr M9s and Glocks. I have a Browning HP and SR9 and like the feel of them. I've fired the XDs and Steyrs and would get one of each if money allowed. I didn't like the way the Glock fit my hand but there is no denying that they are good guns too.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Suzanne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

Not that I'm tough by any stretch but I couldn't get the knack of a 40cal. Glock, it was just too much to want to shoot much. Most accurate semi auto I've shot but my wrist would weaken and i'd end up flopping the gun during recoil and it would actually fail to chamber the next round. I'd try one out at a gun range where you can rent one and see what your tolerance is first. 9mm for me at least, would be max for a long match shoot. A heavier gun than the Glock in 40cal. would be better for me probably.

tlo7mm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

I am fond of 40 S&W which is great alternative to a 45acp or a 9mm. I also like the .357 mag for a revolver. You would be hard pressed to sway me from either one of those.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

TLO is on the money for my dollar.

Revolver - S & W Model 586 or 686 in .357 Magnum

Semi Auto:
Self defence/Carry - .40 or .45 as a minimum
Target Shooting - depending on the discipline - .38 Super or 9mm...then consider .40 and .45

Only use as much gun as you are comfortable with and can handle proficiently Mac. No sense in having the "you beaut", "all singin', all dancin' ", "knock down, drag 'em out" BIG gun if you can't shoot or control the damn thing mate...it will be worse than useless.

Attend a couple of ranges and see what the Production Gun shooters are using for IPSC or Action Match (Bianchi Cup). That should give you a good insight into the more "user friendly" calibres.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
gelandangan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

Caliber is quite secondary in view of your requirement.

You said that you are looking for pistol to do:
Target
Robust
inexpensive (relative to the payer)

I would tend to point at a revolver for your use.
The S&W or Colt are some that are proven by time to be accurate, reliable and robust.
and nowdays they are relatively cheap.

Maybe a 38Spl or 357Mag, or even 44 Mag.
Plenty fun, without having to chase ejected shells all day.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

nobody has mentioned the humble.22 or the .22magnum which is a nice round and ruger makes a very nice revoler in that calibre.
if you arent going to reload and basically want to punch holes in paper???

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

The .22 rimfires are great little pistols mate...used to have one, a Ruger Mk1, but they are rather limited in the sorts of pistol matches for which you can use them. If you wish to shoot any of the Combat styled shoots then the little rimfire isn't any good.

Where they do well, and are the only calibre allowed, is in Standard Pistol, Sport Pistol and Rimfire Silhouette. A lot of fun, very cheap to feed and the course of fire is challenging. I used to love shooting silhouette with mine.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Eremius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

I would recommend a 9x19. They are very inexpensive to shoot ($20/100rnds vs $28/100rnds) and not a lot of recoil.

I recently purchased a 9mm for a CCW. I really had my mind set to get a Glock 19. Thankfully, I went to a range that rents pistols and found that it wasn't the pistol for me (too small for my hands). I ended up with an XD9sc and I *love* how it fits me and how it shoots.

TL;DR: Decide on a caliber you like then find somewhere to beg/borrow/steal different models to see what fits YOU.
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

Since I had to eat crow concerning my dislike for 9mms when I bought my LC9, I wouldn't discount the 9 if that is what you are leaning toward. Don't sell the .45 short however. With lighter target loads it doesn't recoil enough to worry about, and with full power loads its a force to be reckoned with. All three of my kids were regularly shooting .45s by the time they were 10 and still do years later.

The advise to decide on a caliber first and then pick the gun is sound.

As Suzanne mentioned, many find the .40 a bit sharp on the recoil end due to its higher pressure and sharper impulse time.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
MacD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

Thanks for all the sage advice. I was looking at the S&W M&P last night in either 9mm or .40. I need to find one to heft etc. They sell it in a range kit with holster, 2 extra mags in a belt holder and a speed loader

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

MacD...If you like the Browning...Get the Browning. You will probably be happier going with what you like no matter the cost.

I could no more afford a Kimber UCC II then fly. Guess what I carry? I am happy boy...

ByTheWay...I qualified "Expert" with the Remington-Rand .45 ACP 1911 when I was in the Navy.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
fnuser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

pretty please hold a cz75 if you like HP's might find one cheaper too

inthedark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Recommendations Reply with quote

MacD wrote:
Thanks for all the sage advice. I was looking at the S&W M&P last night in either 9mm or .40. I need to find one to heft etc. They sell it in a range kit with holster, 2 extra mags in a belt holder and a speed loader

Hi Mac, I have the S&W M&P 9mmand I like it. Being as 9mm is the round that we all use, you would have access to a LOT of brass to reload and it is really straight forward to reload. You will find with the MP9 that when you are using 147gr bullets that you more than likely will consistently throw them high. The solution is to drop to 115gr as the recoil on this light pistol is throwing them high and with the 115gr they will be coming out faster. That was the advice that I took from S&W armourer I spoke with. They only use 4-5grains of powder which will give you well over a thousand rounds per pound of powder. Cheap, cheap cheap shooting. Bullets can be gotten quite cheap also from Frontier Bullets out of south africa's Canadian distributor in Ottawa. PM me and I can call you or send you the info.

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Be Copy now of Men of Grosser Blood and TEACH THEM HOW TO WAR
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 3