Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine
Help / Support / How-to's / Discussion related to PointBlank Software and External Ballistics in general
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » PointBlank Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
219Zipper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

but when I go to open it, it starts to run and shows the progression bar in the window and then locks up and says it is not a registered version and stops. Nothing will change it and I finally have to close it out via the task manager.

Suggestions or ideas?
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

Odd, this hasn't shown up in my testing... lemme dig into it further. Sorry for the inconvenience.

-DallanC
219Zipper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

not a problem, could it be that its hitting my firewall while trying to load and locking up?
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

It should time out and give a "cannot connect to website" error. It downloads via a normal http connection so its not like its doing anything wierd under the hood. I've tested this across 4 computers in my house and no issue so far. Will keep testing it.

Alternatively, you can download the big zip file with all the files and just unzip it where you want it to exist. It bypasses the patcher but is a way to get everything quickly. I do not update this as frequently as the other datafiles, as I really want people updating via the patcher.

www.huntingnut.com/PBD...tBlank.zip

-DallanC
219Zipper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

Dallan,

Here is what is happening everytime on my system...

I run the patcher, it opens the "Starting up, initializing data" window, and it says, each time:

Processing registration
Not registered

It shows a progress bar under it with the visual representation of how far it has opened and shows 4 blocks of progress and stops there, each time.

(exactly like that, in that format, in those words)

Mind you, I am not complaining, I understand the pain of trying to find these bugs or issues.

I am running an older HP workstation with XP, Firefox and a heavyduty firewall and virus protection.

Thanks for your help!
james in Minnesota
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

At the "4" bars step, when it says " Not Registered", there should be a popup menu that counts for 9 seconds while putting up "donation" message.

After 9 seconds, you click ok and pointblank then finishes starting up. It sounds like the popup isnt showing, or its showing behind Pointblank and is hidden... or showing up off screen. I dont think the program has crashed... its just waiting on that "Ok" click event.

Do you have the latest .NET install for xp? That could definitely cause a problem if thats out of date or missing.

-DallanC
219Zipper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

Dallan,

I checked my NET updates and made sure they were up to date. ran patcher again and same exact response.

I will keep at it until I find it, now its got me interested as to what in the world is preventing it from running.

thanks for your help
james
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

The easiest way for windows users to check their NET framework installation is to fire up Internet Explorer than copy and paste the following line into the address bar and hit enter.

javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent)

Note, this will only work with Internet Explorer, as any other browser will NOT query the NET string. You will need 2.0 as the minimum version.

Just by looking at what you posted, I don't think its a problem with PB, try turning off your firewall and also your AV protection than try running the program again. If it still doesn't run, look in your events logs for errors, windows keeps a log for every error it encounters. It can be found in control panel under the administration icon. Note the time you tried to run PB and look at the event logs for errors around the same time. Post them here.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
219Zipper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

Ok...I did the IE test but what am I looking for? What are the identifying issues to be on the lookout for?
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

You should see something similar to this:

ie-user-agent-string-a.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.94 KB
 Viewed:  7960 Time(s)

ie-user-agent-string-a.gif

219Zipper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

ok, I did, but what does that tell me? lol
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

Copy and paste what it says, if not type it in so we can see what versions you have.

219Zipper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

it wouldnt copy and paste, so this is as close as I could get

Mozilla 4.0 compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

Ok, it looks like you have all the right client files as being reported by the registry, but that still doesn't mean NET can't be broke. What I would do next is to turn off temporary your AV and firewall. Then try starting the PB program noting the time you start it. If it fails and acts like it did before, open up your events viewer and click the application tab. Note any errors that occurred around the same time you tried launching PB and write them down and post them here, it should tell us where the problem is.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I downloaded the software off of here, it downloads fine Reply with quote

PBPatcher connects to download any missing or out of date files. PointBlank.exe does do a quick check to the website to see if its version is out of date and alert the user... but it doesnt download / modify anything.

As a test, I disabled my laptop wireless and ran pointblank, wondering if a lack of internet connection was causing it to hang somehow... but nope, it worked fine giving a "cannot connect to website" error popup. This isnt to say the behavior might be different on XP... I have an old pc box I might hook up to do some XP testing.

I think before that, I will add a commandline flag to disable the internet check at start up so we can eliminate that as a issue.

-DallanC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » PointBlank Software
Page 1 of 2