Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Competition starts at 5pm!
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

I have a silhouette shoot to set up and shoot at 5 this afternoon. Temp is going to be 102F at 5 and it won't cool much before 7 when the event is scheduled to end. I have to be there at 4 to set it up and I don't expect many shooters - well I don't expect anyone else to show up - but I will wait until 5:30 and then I start shooting alone.
I plan on shooting two matches just to get my practice in. It will be more fun if others show up but since I have to set it up I am going to use it either way.

Don't bother holding dinner for me but it would be nice to have a couple of cold ones in the shade with a stump to rest my weary bones on when I get back. Smile

I figure we can use this thread to post about any competitions or range practice you want to talk about.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

Hope you do well. Take care. All the best...
Gil

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

Enjoy the shoot Paul...I really miss shooting IHMSA.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

Have fun, PaulS. Hope you are in the shade. Keep that bolt open and the chamber empty so the barrel cools and powder charge doesn't increase in temperature.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Elvis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

dont forget the wide brimmed hat to keep your eyes shaded.

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

I will be shooting in a "mini palma" match this Sunday. 100 yards rimfire with targets scaled for 800-900 and 1000 yard simulation, 15 shots at each target. Should be a lot of fun. I have a Kimber 82 single shot that will hold sub MOA at 100 with the SK Std match ammo.

gelandangan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

Good luck, havefun.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

We've been kicking around the idea of a .22 rim-fire "sniper match". Have to shoot in a two person team; shooter and spotter. The spotter will have a stack of cards, face down, designating the targets to be shot. The designated targets will be mixed with other possible targets (maybe 10 real targets and 5-10 "don't shoot"). At the buzzer the spotter flips the first card over to see what the target is, then locates the target with a spotting scope, then directs the shooter to the target. When that target is hit the spotter flips the next card, and so on. To add a wrinkle to things, at some point a whistle is blown and the spotter must engage 5-10 knock-down targets at closer range before continuing. Scoring would be time, with penalties for un-engaged targets. You could throw in a bonus target too, hit it and reduce your time/score.

Obviously there are some kinks to work out and there are MANY possible scenarios/targets you could use. To start off I plan to have the "sniper" targets on paper at 100 yards and the "spotter" targets (6" lengths of 2x4?) between 25 and 50 yards.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

Dawgdad wrote:
I have a Kimber 82 single shot that will hold sub MOA at 100 with the SK Std match ammo.

I smile with a touch of envy here. Have a good shoot Dawgdad!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:
We've been kicking around the idea of a .22 rim-fire "sniper match". Have to shoot in a two person team; shooter and spotter.

That sounds pretty slick, Pkslinger. Our club has introduced 2-gun CQB one weekend a month and it has steadily gained in attendance.

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
That sounds pretty slick, Pkslinger. Our club has introduced 2-gun CQB one weekend a month and it has steadily gained in attendance.

Our range has one like that too but I haven't tried it. I need to get my "kids" (all in their 30s) out there sometime.

phashoots.net/matchinf...-tactical/

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
PaulS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

Well, it was 103F without any shade. I was roasted and no other shooters were dumb enough to show up.
I shot a single round and came in second... Wink

slimjim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

PaulS, am I supposed to be laughing. You were the only one there and came in second? 103 in the sun is pretty brutal. I worked North of Sacramento this week and highs were 108 to 109. But I got to stay out of the sun. Direct sun makes it feel like 20 deg hotter.

PaulS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

Yes, it was supposed to be funny.
This whole week is in triple digits. I am planning on getting to the range and start shooting about 8AM. That's when you can start shooting. All week the temps at that time of day are in the mid 80s but I am trying to work up a load for my 257 and AR15.

slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition starts at 5pm! Reply with quote

I've had a few pierced primers while shooting in 100F temperature. Temperature insensitive powders are great if you can find a powder that works with your bullet selection.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2