Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2416
  · Views: 779300
  · Votes: 1313
  · Comments: 86

25-06 loads
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 25-06 loads Reply with quote

My inexperience tells me something you haven't tried. The barrel is free floated, so you might try putting a shim near the end of the bbl and creating a pressure point to see if that cures anything. Easy to do, and it might do something. It sounds like the bbl heats up and shoots better. Maybe in fact it flexes when heated up, just a thought.

Suz

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 25-06 loads Reply with quote

Suz, you may be on to something. I've had two rifles with light weight barrels that shot much worse after I tried free floating them. I stuck shims in the fore end and both settled right down.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
redneckhunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 25-06 loads Reply with quote

ive thought of that Suz also. a friend has a rifle that had a free floating barrel ,it would not shot groups at all until je stuck a shim under the front of the stock (a beer can shim if memory serves me) Shocked ,lol
i kind of agree with your thinking tho ,something ive not tried yet but its a possibility that may work. kind of beats the purpose of the free floating barrel tho to speak . but as we all know all rifles have there own little quirks and tricks. Surprised
right now the load im working with seems to be doing the job , and once i fine tune it in it will work fine,as i make my shots count (1 shot 1 dead critter) Very Happy
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 25-06 loads Reply with quote

I've tried the pressure point on two rifles. A .243 with a wood stock and a 308 with composite. The pressure pad tightened the groups nicely. However, the .243's POI was different every time I took it out - grouped nice but never to the same point. The .308 would tighten up when I placed the temporary pad (made from gaskets) but I could never duplicate the performance with a permament bedded pad. Go for the new barrel.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 25-06 loads Reply with quote

Suzanne wrote:
My inexperience tells me something you haven't tried. The barrel is free floated, so you might try putting a shim near the end of the bbl and creating a pressure point to see if that cures anything. Easy to do, and it might do something. It sounds like the bbl heats up and shoots better. Maybe in fact it flexes when heated up, just a thought.

Suz
That my dear Suz is probably the only thing I havent tried.
I'll give that a whirl next time I take it to the range, but a new barrel is on the cards, I almost have enough sheckles to do it.
Its a confidence thing and I've lost it in this rifle, in its current form.

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
stovepipe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 25-06 loads Reply with quote

dhc4ever wrote:
Its a confidence thing and I've lost it in this rifle, in its current form.

Awful feeling, know it well- sinking feeling for sure,
Almost gave up on Kabong...till I found a cracked base screw, was making me nuts- everything looked tight, till i took it apart for a complete overhaul of scope mounting goodies and viola! Screw finally failed the rest of the way, had to drill it out, factory bases were kahkah too...I wanna new tube for that gun too...26-28" big fat bull in black from D&T Custom w/ a MacMillan stock and make it a real 1000y stomper.... someady maybe.

Good luck with the "happy feeling" in yer gut soon when ya getter dialed in DC. I love that feeling when something finally comes around. Nuttin like it!
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 25-06 loads Reply with quote

No doubt a pressure point may help bring about an acceptable amount of consistency !!!

IMO a quality barrel will shoot it's best free floated.

Then there are the ultra light weights that are often bedded the entire length of the stock.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 2