Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Down the bunnie trail
Small Game hunting related discussion
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

the norincos are hard to beat, for the money they are a great set up, the triggers are good and accuracy is not to be sniffed at either.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

I got a mate over here that swears by Norincos...he has two of them, a .22LR and a .22 Mag RF.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

my good buddy has a .223 bolt made by them too. Its heavy but shoots like a dream.

camel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

G'day Geland#@$%^ whatever, got plenty bunnies out this way in small pockets. Lotta country between patches, but they can turn it on when you get onto them. Got about 1,000,000 acres on the places I shoot, but only about 10% has rabbits, dont want too many or everyone be onto the game and then oversupply and price drop, same as any comodity I spose. Send me p.m. with property name u go at gilgunnia, will let you know whats goin on up that way.

camel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

English Mike wrote:
Funny how popular CZ's "mini mauser" is for bunny bashing.
I use a 452 & my mate uses a 453HB with the thumbhole stock. I really need to do a little work on the 452's trigger though - it's precise but heavy.

Saw a short video on how to adjust the standart 452's trigger on some web site somewhere, will try find it agen but it was a couple of weeks ago, was made by some Pommie bloke so maybe u have better luck than me

stovepipe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Just got back from breakin' in the new hunting license. Got a break in the heat too- only 90ish so, weee!

Man they had me running again today! Flushed 12, got two on the hop, clean heart shots! Lil snots though. I ran my ass off after the Bulls but they are having none of it! I even got there at the crack and man they can smell me coming or something. I need to camp out and snipe them with my scoped Mossy 22LR, it's zeroed for 90y. I'll never get them chasing them. Them big guys usually go at lest that far before they turn around then rear up and give me some attitude, man they are HUGE! Kinda scary looking actually. Maybe a 20ga slug? Suck on that, rat face! I swear guys, they are just that big, freakishly big!

Anywho almost took one of my shotty's today for practice but I don't think my shoulder is really ready for that yet so, I hope I get some practice before quail season. Still- the MP 15-22 is killing it. And I'm thankful for this shooter as it's keeping me sharp. What and upland machine it is!

Two and a half hours of running with my gun, tons of great chases, a lot of rounds down-range and two more in the bag from on-the-hop at well over 35y. OH YEH! Very Happy (nap time...zzzZZZzzz...) (yes Chambered, the safety is on, bolt is open and mag is out )

000_0010-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.11 KB
 Viewed:  6469 Time(s)

000_0010-1.jpg

Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

good going stovie. I can almost taste those back steaks sizzling in the pan.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Well done Stovey, and a great description of your day of hunting...makes me jealous mate.

Sniping bunnies is awesome fun mate, but from my understanding they aren't like ours who build a large underground burrow system...yours live in the scrub etc I think. That's cool...they are a creature of habit, and again, if they are anything like ours, you need only search out their "pill hill"...the spot where they go to crap. It's funny how rabbits do that, always crap in the same place. Just a matter of learning their habits and adapting accordingly.

For those monsters, a .223 is more than adequate to snipe over 300 yards. Just make sure your loads are good and your shoulder are up to the recoil. Set up a blind with a comfy chair, some shade, a BIG bottle of water, a book and wait them out. When they stick their head up...BLAM...bunny stew. Very Happy Very Happy

Take it easy on that shoulder mate...you want it in good order ready for your first deer season.

Cheers, Vince

stovepipe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Many thanks gents!
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Sniping bunnies is awesome fun mate, but from my understanding they aren't like ours who build a large underground burrow system...yours live in the scrub etc I think. That's cool...they are a creature of habit, and again, if they are anything like ours, you need only search out their "pill hill"...the spot where they go to crap. It's funny how rabbits do that, always crap in the same place. Just a matter of learning their habits and adapting accordingly.
For those monsters, a .223 is more than adequate Cheers, Vince

I've tried to suss out their scratch-outs but, there's so many bushes and so many wabbits it's just too random, they all have marks and the wind keeps the grounds clean. I have a general idea of where they roost but, the area is huge! It's also dotted with private property/couple ranches sort of, like a mile here or there apart, I'm over cautious and dont shoot a lot fo them, .223 illegal here too- no CF allowed in this area, amx range is 1/4 mile shotty stuff per regs.. I can get away with the 22LR f I keep the muzzle down. I try and flush them in one or two general directions so as to have a 100% clear backstop. I cover at least 5-10 miles on foot each hunt, some of it running, and 1/2 tank of gas spot-hopping while the other cools down after working it. Soooo much fun - fair chase? Ya better believe it! My boots 'n snake-chaps are covered in resin from the pucker bushes. Woof! Had to wash my chaps last night...just too heady...and water proof now cuz of it. Smelled good at first, now ya can smell me comin' from a mile! I love my uplands. Very much. The Mojave Green rattler living there? Not so much. These guys will ruin your day- VERY arrgo, they will come at you offensively. I wear chaps and carry a 2" 357 with shot in in it...Slim knows the gun. So do a few dead snakes. nothing like what Oz has for poisionous but they'll still kill ya..and they back-bite and even seen a couple come after some guys....I love puttin' these bastards down, they are killers.

imagescatmd05w.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.22 KB
 Viewed:  6418 Time(s)

imagescatmd05w.jpg

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

No .223, OK...either a .22 WMR or go real quiet with .22 subsonics. Still got the range, but you have to be more careful with shot placement.

Them rattlers sound evil, mean, wicked, and nasty mate. Yeah, sure we got heaps of snakes that will kill ya, but at the end of the day mate...it only takes one, and you guys got at least that many.

Snakes that back-bite are just plain nasty...I'd be wearing chaps made from horse hide (nice and thick and hard) that cover 100% of my legs and probably my butt as well. Do they always rattle before they have a go, or is that only for warning? How would you know if one is comin' up behind ya, intend on chewin' on ya from behind?

Cheers, Vince

stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

When cornered they will coil and buzz. If ya step on them or suprise them up close (heat sig) they will pop ya out of reflex.

Green's? I just smoke every last one. Hard to see too- man they blend in. Got a well deserved rep.

Western Diamondback's are tame really, you can move them, pick them up etc if they are not in alert mode and ya don't move fast. Held some FAT one's (with help of course) that are just solid muscle you can barely get your hand around and a head like a spade. Just wicked short, fat gnarly looking thing. Like a pit bull w/ no legs. Awesome.

My grandmother had been bitten a lot, she was a rock hound, constantly getting popped. Had a rattle n' hide collection to beat the band. Me? I don't like snakes and won't sleep on the ground out here w/o a tent because of them.

I wear upland pants and RATTLER'S brand chaps, every hunt, talk about cheap insurance. It's not a good felling to get popped, they hit like a shot, you know it, then it's spin and POP! #12 birdshot in the face. Crow food.
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Stovy, do you use the Speer shot capsules for you 357?

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Complete factory load.

I started to make some of my own- pretty easy but a lil time comsuming, then a bud got some ammo turned into his station. I got a whole box full!
Gottem for my 44 too. Been using CCI/Speer's stuff for ages.

Had some for my 1911 but...gave those away. They were more of a home defense round w/ what looked like #3 and some other junk in there encased in resin. Alloy cases, no nose, not sure how those would cycle so...and I use JHP for HD. I aint into maiming some two-legged snake trying to kill me so he can sue me later and all the uber-libs then make me work for him the rest of my life, he gets the Hydra-Shok Hammer.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Down the bunnie trail Reply with quote

Stovey wrote:
...My grandmother had been bitten a lot, she was a rock hound, constantly getting popped...

I thought rattle snakes were extremely deadly...once bitten you were in a mess of trouble unless you could get treatment extremely urgently. Your Granny must be a tough old boiler mate.

We have snakes out here that will kill you in a very short time if bitten, but most allow you about 30 mins - 60 mins to get antivenom into your system otherwise you is is a world of hurt.

Cheers, Vince

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting
Page 7 of 14