· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Simmons Optics
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
codybrown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic. How do Simmons optics stack up compared to others? Granted, thay aren't going to be nearly as good as leupold, but are they comparable to bushnell, nikon, and burris? I own numerous simmons scopes, and have never had any problems with them. My favorite is the 44mag series. I have a 6.5-20AO on my 223, 220 swift, and 22-250 that I am planning on taking out to Montana prairie dog hunting in July. Are they sufficient, or should I invest in differant scopes for the trip?

codybrown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

I also have a couple of the prairie master series in 8-32x44. I know this is overkill, but I bought them from a friend of mine pretty cheap. I like to stay below 18x, and no bigger objective than 44.

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

I have had good experiences with Simmons optics. They are not top of the line for clarity but they are very "usable". I think they are a good value for th most part meaning they are about half the price but not half the scope of the big boys.

That being said, once you have a Loopy or another top end scope, you will see a difference.

Morax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

i had a simmons 3x9 and it didnt impress me at all, it was nicer than the bushnel 3x9 but not by much to me.. its a "fair" to borderline good scope, for the price
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

I own 2, a 1x simmons on my Muzzleloader, a 3x9 on my 17HMR. The 1x replaced a couple other scopes I had tried that never stood up to the recoil, they were all "shotgun" scopes so you think they would have been built to withstand heavy recoil. After 4 years now the simmons 1x is still holding strong. The 3x9 on my 17 is clear and easy to use so I have no problem with it... it will never be subjected to much recoil so I have no idea how it would hold up on a heavier caliber rifle.

Nothing beats Leupold though for hunting scopes. If you cant afford a new one buy used from a Pawn shop. Leupold backs the scope for life, not the guy that bought it.

-DallanC
Morax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

the warrentee for the LEO is something i never knew, hmmmmm gotta go for a ride to the local pawn shop...
Crackshot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

I like Simmons, they will put your rifle in optics while you save your pennys for a Leupold, then you can sell the Simmons on line and get your money back.... or almost any way.

codybrown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

I have a Leupold on my .338, and I love it

Handloader

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

Simmons, Bushnell and others offer scopes that range notably in quality. The lower end scopes can do an acceptable job on rimfires but they will be torn apart by recoil levels in middle range recoil cartridges. They also make some very good optics that, due to technology, have given the market very good optics and reliability.

When Meade Optics took over Simmons (they own Weaver and Redfield as well), they revamped most of the offerings and improved the product line. Their most recent innovation is in the Master Series in which the erector tube (a weak link in any variable) is absent the pesky little springs to keep it in place. It works well. I have been trying to intentionally destroy a Simmons Master on a 416 Rigby, a rifle that has eaten several other scopes. I have been using the Simmons for range load development and, so far, it has withstood the rigors of 100+ rounds. Even the optics are fairly good.

The new Weavers are spectacular. The traditional K4 and K6 should receive serious evaluation by anyone wishing a fixed power with superb optics.

Leupold dominates, justifiably, the market when it comes to customer service and product integrity. All Leupold scopes are built to the same recoil tolerance. Buy their cheapest or most expensive and put it on anything you wish. Leupolds, like other brands, have a lifetime warranty, however, the main difference is that Leupold welcomes any returns, doesn't give you any guff over it and is normally prompt in their repairs.

All scopes fail eventually. Recoil cycles at some point will cause erector tubes to misalign or objective lenses to loosen. Nitrogen can then leak and cause fogging. That said, some scopes will outlast the rifles on which they are mounted, or, even, several rifles.

Expensive scopes in the Zeiss and Swarovski bracket can give some exclusivity to the picky hunter, yet, they fail on the big bores more than some far less expensive fixed powers. Heavier scopes fail earlier than lighter scopes of the same quality.

There is a notable trend toward qualitiy fixed power scopes. Leupold leads the way with the FX series. They are lighter than variables, have better light transmission, are less expensive and are more reliable. Some would make the case, and I agree, that they are far easier to use. The marketing hype for variables continues unabated, but, in the camps of big game hunters new fixed powers are showing up more frequently than ever before. It is a trend I hope continues.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

Quote::
the warrentee for the LEO is something i never knew, hmmmmm gotta go for a ride to the local pawn shop...

Not only that, you get one right from the pawn shop and send it to them for a "clarity test" and they will go through it and return it for free. We had a scope once a horse broke in half when it spooked and kicked... leupold replaced it for free! I'm a fan for life lemme tell ya.

Quote::
The new Weavers are spectacular. The traditional K4 and K6 should receive serious evaluation by anyone wishing a fixed power with superb optics.

Single worse scope I've ever owned in my life was a Weaver, LOL

-DallanC

-DallanC
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

Howdy, I mostly have leupolds but have had a couple simmons. The 44 mag in 6.5-20 did a fine job on a 223.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
codybrown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

Thank you everyone, especially Handloader. I actually have a K4 on my mini-14, and am pleased with it so far. The rifle is far from precise, so it will suffice.

d_hoffman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

I have a Simmons 4x32 on my muzzle loader and even at 150gr of powder it still hasn't been broken. I'm satisfied with mine.
GonzoTx
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

A buddy got me hooked on Swift scopes several years ago. He had a 3x9 on a 257 AI and it was very clear with no point of impact shift anywhere on the power scale.But I figgured he got lucky on that one (he only spent $115 on it) THEN he mounted a 6x Swift ($99 from SWFA) on a 450 Marlin Handi-Rifle two years ago and it has stood up to over 300 full power loads !!! I ask him about their warranty and he said he has never had any problems.
Swift has been in the microscope,telescope and binocular bussiness since 1923. Ther bino's have a big following with the bird watching crowd and if you looked through a microscope in high school science class in the last 80 years or so, chances are it was one of theirs. They may not be a Leupold but you can't beat them for the money. BTW, I own 2 now myself and have had 0 problems.
If you are looking to buy a lower priced scope,give 'em a try !!! (SWFA & EABCO sell them online)
popgun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Simmons Optics Reply with quote

On my Prariedog rifles I have two Simmons 6.5-20x44 and one Bushnell Elite 4-16. The Bushnell is clearer but the two Simmons scopes are plenty clear enough for PD shooting. I even have a couple of rifles with Tasco's on them and they work just fine too. Don't hesitate to use the Simmons scopes if they are "in" your budget. If your can afford better by all means move up to Leupold or something in between.

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2