Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Bought a crossbow today.
Hunting and discussion with Muzzle Loaders, Archery and other Primitive weapons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Bought a crossbow today. Reply with quote

I bought a Barnett Quad 400.

Quote::
150-lb Draw Weight
15.5" Power Stroke
Foot Pounds Energy - 122
Speed - 345 fps
Max Hunting range - 60 yds.
Limb Type - Compound

Since velocities are measured by using 400gr bolts as far as I can tell I think its pretty good. Very Happy With the 150lb draw weight I can cock it by hand no fancy equipment to do it ether Smile

Thoughts on what I should get for the arrow tip and body to work on deer, elk, moose, bear and anything else that lives in North America ?? Confused

Dimitri

Spacedone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a crossbow today. Reply with quote

i personally love the old style wasps with the hvy blades. there are so many points on the market that work very well its really a matter of what trips your bubble.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a crossbow today. Reply with quote

Spacedone,

I've got the Hammer SST from Wasp in 100gr weight now on my arrows (they are the ones I had avalible at home didnt buy new ones). They are the forth in the fallowing picture. Smile

Still I'd like to set up my system so I can go for anything I want with the same arrow set up. Any ideas ?? Confused

Dimitri

Spacedone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a crossbow today. Reply with quote

the hammer is a pretty good point. i suggest the carbon fiber bolts {expensive but worth it} and if you like the hammer i would consider the 125 grain with a least a inch dia cut. i personally like the hvy bladed razors. for missouri deer im using a fold out which shoots alot like a fieldpoint in 125 grain.i shoot several brands of points and some shoot better than others and some may kill better than others . just find one YOU like. i wont spend more than about 20 dollars for a 3 set any more when there are so many reasonable ones out.

P.S. my set of wasps ive had 16 years. i worked for a bow hunter who had to have the very best{expensive} stuff and he gasve me 20 broadheads. i still have 8 of them.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a crossbow today. Reply with quote

Mythbusters did a recient show on crossbows. They fired seveal different broadheads into ballistic wax and measured penetration. Standard flat cut on contact blade out penetrated 3 & 4 blade broadheads... by a significant margin. Rather interesting I thought.

-Dallanc
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a crossbow today. Reply with quote

Oh Dallan,

Never watched Mythbusters, guess this would have been one of the episodes I should have seen Smile

Dimitri

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a crossbow today. Reply with quote

Well I am currently using Thunderhead 125gr Broad heads now. Since Barrnett says I'm supposed to use 125gr heads for my crossbow to get the arrow weight to 454gr (So it actually uses a heavier bolt then alot of other crossbows Shocked ) to match what the crossbow was ment to use. As well as the fact that Bass Pro only had Thunderheads avalible in 125gr. Smile

Crossbow has been taken on a few hunting trips (didn't see anything :() but I've got to admit it shoots great when I was testing it today for alittle practice, ripped through about 7-8 layers on thouse crossbow targets when I was firing it (shot it off level the target was below (on the ground while I was in a kneeing position) and they were stopping just before the bolts fins were to go into the target with a field point at about 35 yards! Smile

Also bought a Small game tip (the "SGH" not the simple hammer type) but didnt see a rabbit to try it on since I bought it. Mad

PS. Yes I'm more upset I didnt get to try my SGH on a rabbit then not getting a deer. Laughing

Dimitri

Grant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a crossbow today. Reply with quote

Dimitri,

I hope you get to Christen your new crossbow soon. I have a Barnett Rhino that I bought about 8-9 years ago. It's been fun to hunt with and I've taken three bucks and one Black Bear with it. I think we're going to have to grab our crossbows and 303 Enfields and go hunting together some day...... Sniper

I also suggest you buy some bird points and take it out for Upland game birds. I have a blast Grouse hunting with it.

I use 3 bladed Spitfire XP Ballistic broad-heads in mine and have had clean through and through out to 40 yards, the farthest I've fired at animal with it. They are as accurate as field points in mine.

Here's a link to check them out.... www.newarchery.com/

barnett rhino 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.71 KB
 Viewed:  5669 Time(s)

barnett rhino 001.jpg

1895ss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a crossbow today. Reply with quote

Hey they look like fun. Smile

Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a crossbow today. Reply with quote

Grant wrote:
Dimitri,

I hope you get to Christen your new crossbow soon. I have a Barnett Rhino that I bought about 8-9 years ago. It's been fun to hunt with and I've taken three bucks and one Black Bear with it. I think we're going to have to grab our crossbows and 303 Enfields and go hunting together some day...... Sniper

Sounds like a plan! Cool

Birds with the crossbow ?? Sounds like a challange. Smile

Dimitri

Grant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a crossbow today. Reply with quote

Birds with a crossbow is fun. I suggest you buy the materials to make your own bolts though, tend to loose a few bird hunting. Just like hunting them with a .22, pick off the head.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a crossbow today. Reply with quote

Neat! Smile

Well I've never hunted with a .22. Actually for that matter I've never shot a 22, I went from a .177 pellet gun (just target practice) to 12ga and 8mm Mauser. Sad

Dimitri

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Primitive Weapons Hunting
Page 1 of 1