· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Talk about a fun fun day
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spacedone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

got up this morning before dawn and strapped on my pistol got in the truck and drove to town. met up with a couple of guys i know and a couple i didnt and drove out to a friends house.

sat down outside on a picnic table and started my Concealed carry class. we joked around for a little while and then John our instructor and local gunsmith started. we went over the books he handed out and listened to his lessons taking a couple of breaks in the next 3 or so hours. not being very knowldgeable about pistols {havent owned many or been able to shoot pistols alot over the years} i actually learned alot. we then had a answer/question period with alot of great questions and even better answers and then too a written test which im tickled to say i passed fairly easily.

we then went out to a nice little pistol range and started actual hands on instruction besides what we had went over in lecture. safety safety safety. we discussed safety every few minutes all day. you may think your safe {i did} but we all do things by habit not considering it may be unsafe. i need to work on my finger in trigger guard to soon for safety. we then started shooting. first dry firing, then we moved up to a single shot, then a double shot working on technique. all together we spent over 4 hours i think just slowly working up to qualifying. i did extremely well for me in qualifying 9 in the 10 ring and 11 in the 9 ring on standard upper body targets with my new to me m92 beretta.

everyone passed and everyone learned something and we all had a great fun day shooting and discussing guns,shooting and hunting on a cold cold windy october day.

now for the permit from the sheriff and being a longhair i imagine that will be amusing.

anyone wanting to carry concealed i highly reccommend the class. its 10 hours long and i firmly believe it will help new pistol shooters and long time pistol shooters improve your safety and even your skill and its alot of FUN as well.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

Canada has a law saying its legal but its not issued to ANYONE pretty much anymore unless you need the gun for work and only for work (Armoured car people).

Dimitri

Spacedone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

missouri just passed this CCW law recently. take the class and pass it then pass the background check and they cant really deny you the permit.

i breed and sale dogs, i deliver often sometimes several hundred miles from home. usually carrying to much cash than is good to carry so i will use it as part of my business. dont trust the city folk.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

Yah Cities arnt that good, dont like them myself, was born and raised in one but I saw the light when I "grew up" and moved out of the city Very Happy

What type of dogs do you breed ??

Dimitri

Spacedone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

i breed german rotts.

my last delivery was in st louis mo.

no one had to tell me i was in the wrong neighborhood.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

Neat Spacedone Smile

Dimitri

Handloader

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

Spacedone: lots of customers come to our shop to purchase home and personal defense armament. I agree with you about taking formal training and we encourage taking courses at a local college or from one of several private providers. While the CCW courses are precursors for the permit, the true value is in understanding the extent of liability one incurs by carrying deadly force.

If one is involved in an incident is is critical to understand beforehand what to say and what not to say. Too, it is very advantageous to adopt a mindset that involves deadly force only as a last resort, but, to be able to use it effectively if it is, indeed, the last resort. One's whole economic future is at stake as well as potential criminal charges. Having a lawyer on retainer is common sense.

Given the range of legal issues, it is critical to have formal training and become well versed how laws in your area are interpreted and applied. The type of firearm selected, the type of ammo used and other factors will be paramount if one is involved in and survives a shooting incident. Much grief can be adverted by prior preparation, formal training and periodic review, along with constant practice. Its not enought to just have a gun.
coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

Always try to avoid putting yourself in a position where you must use deadly force but should all options fail then be prepared to move with the up most skill and speed. (Advice from a old friend that served over 20 years as county sheriff)

Spacedone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

i took the class for self protection of myself and wife. by taking the class i made it possible if danger arises on one of my many trips to areas i dont know to legally have the protection on my person instead of under the seat of the truck.

legally i met the requirements missouri requires. if it comes to the point i must defend myself or my wife at THAT POINT IN TIME it is no longer a time to think IS WHAT IM DOING LEGAL. it is a time to protect yourself as your morals allow and take the consquences of your actions. but you will be alive to argue that later.

i trust i will never have to pull out my protection for the rest of my life but its like the girl on aliens vs predator 2 says. {
i would rather have a condom or a weapon with me and not need then over needing them and not having them with me.}

i took the class for self assurance and i posted about it because i a lifetime gun owner and hunter and Xmilitary learned things i didnt know and had fun doing it at the same time.

we covered legality and safety and tecnigue and safety and socialized with like minded people and discussed more safety. it is all around a good fun learning course which at some point could save the life of yourself or a loved one and do it legally.
george20042007

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

Well Spacedone,I'm happy for you. Handloader expressed some good points. I recently went through a renewel class for my CCW permit here in Arizona. In the future, these classes won't be required anymore out here & that concerns me a little cause that puts the burden on us to search out any changes in the law. I see most are lazy & won't keep up with the changes & that might do a law abiding citizen in if he were to use his gun.

What would you do if you were robbed at gun point and the gun man takes your wallet and turns and leaves (not knowing you got a concealed gun on you)?

That question isn't just for Spacedone, anyone can respond. And I do expect the answers to vary if you're not from Arizona.
Keep it coming...
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

George,

I wouldn't do anything seeing as I dont got a CCW, at most I'd have lost a few cards easy to canncell and replace, I keep bare minium of cash (max 100$ at any time) on me so I wouldn't care for the money Smile

Dimitri

george20042007

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

That was fast Dimitri, but, I won't comment yet. I want Spacedone to reply and perhaps some others before I point out what I would do. I will say this though, having a legal concealed gun on you does raise one's level of responsibility.
Keep it coming...
Spacedone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

yes it does raise your resposibility it MAKES YOU ABLE TO PROTECT YOURSELF instead of hoping some underpaid undertrained police officer does it for you.

your jumping ahead tho saying he got my wallet at gunpoint. at that point he may get my life with his gun but if at all possible he would get lead instead.

im not overly brave but i have been around and ive worked as a paramedic for over 10 years and the truth is if someone robs you at gun point the odds are you will be shot anyway so "let the gunfight begin"

ive been all over the world {8 countries} and ive been robbed several times. and guess how many times law enforcement helped me??????

NONE.

you can be sheep or you can be a wolf.

which are you?

i hope i never have to pull my concealed weapon but if i do i honestly would feel safer to actually have a weapon with me handy than hope the robber has any morals at all and doesnt just shoot me anyway. if hes immoral enough to rob me whats to say hes moral enough not to just shoot me anyway.

if more people were legally armed with concealed weapons alot less robberies would happen. statistically over 4 million people protect themselves with legal handguns a year. and after 15 years of traditional martial arts i can say just because your armed makes you carry yourself differently and that stops alot of attacks all by itself. self confidence in being able to protect yourself and your loved ones actually makes you less of a target.

even if your not planning on carrying concealed taking the class for knowledge makes it well worth taking.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

Spacedone,

George said the guy took your wallet and left hense why I wouldn't do anything, now if I did have a CCW and it was legal I'd have took the pistol out before he even got ahold of my wallet if possible Smile

Dimitri

george20042007

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Talk about a fun fun day Reply with quote

Dimitri has it right. I didn't come up with a scenario about prevention. My scenario has the bad guy having the drop on me, not shooting me, and leaving the scene. What action do you take?

Spacedone, if the class you took was a good one, they may have discussed maintaing your level of alertness, which, would have prevented the scenario above. Bad guys are probably more alert than us because they are on the hunt looking for easy prey, their mind set is to take action, but with out risk. I don't care how cautious you claim to be, you can still be victimized, they can get the drop on you. But, the bad guy won't take on someone that looks like a tough target, because there are too many others that are easier around you.

Now, respond to my scenario Smile
Keep it coming...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 3