No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824108
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Gotta brag on my nephew.... And my son!!!!
By Popular Demand: Discussions related to Varmint Hunting
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Gotta brag on my nephew.... And my son!!!! Reply with quote

My nephew Austin has accompanied me and my son on numerous coyote hunts in the past two years. He has a couple of pelts to his credit but felt that they were gifts as I had called them into less than 50 yards. I have shared some calls and made up a bunch of 110 V-max loads for his 30-06. Last Sunday, we checked his zero on his rifle and had him set up to be 2.5" high at 100 for a 290 yard pbz. He went out to one of our honey holes by himself about sunset and snuck in a waterway to a fresh cut bean field. He belly crawls to the edge of the beans where he stops short so his barrel does not stick into the clearing. He glasses a pair of yotes about 300 yards out mousing in the field. He lip squeaks but the wind in his face does not carry the sound to them. He gives a couple of cries on the rabbit squealer and the pair make a break across the field, one swinging right and the other left. He then watches the horizon as three more young coyotes join the hunt!!! I cannot imagine the adrenaline he had as a pack of coyotes responded to the call.!!! He settles in and picks out the biggest one and drops it its tracks at about 150 yards out. I would have prefered he let it work a bit closer but with 5 working on him I am sure he was thinking "Double!!!" He was smart enough to stop there and not educate the other four by blasting away at them as they turned tail an ran off.

It makes me proud to see him and my son take the skills they have learned and carry the torch for the next generation of hunters.

Last edited by Dawgdad on Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gotta brag on my nephew.... Reply with quote

Dawgdad,
That will be one coyote hunt I'll bet Austin doesn't forget, nor his uncle that helped him get started.

Well Done! Cool

Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gotta brag on my nephew.... Reply with quote

Dawgdad,

Good job! You have just hooked a person into the joys of hunting for life as he got to experance the hunt as he wanted and did the work himself. Smile

Thats whats importent letting someone do there thing if you want them interested in hunting, right or wrong they need to learn how to hunt on there own in my opinion and learn from there mistakes. Making them hunt exactly how you want is the best way to turn them off from hunting in my opinion.

In this case sounds like he had a good teacher! You need to pat yourself on the back!

Dimitri

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gotta brag on my nephew.... And my son. Reply with quote

My nephew was bow hunting for deer on a farm about a mile from the first site and has six coyotes settle in for some mousing and sunning in the corn stalks about 200 yards south of him. He tries to lip squeak then closer but the breeze in his face keeps the sound from getting to them. He whips out his cell phone and calls my son who was still in bed asleep. He rolls out, grabs the AR 15 out of the gun safe and heads over to the farm and sneaks in to where my nephew was. Four of the coyotes had moved on but two were still lingering. They were still sunning but only presented a head shot. The .223 barked and cleaned the ears of a male. No pelt damage on this one! Literally in one ear and out the other... Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting
Page 1 of 1