Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

WSSM Experience
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: WSSM Experience Reply with quote

I'm considering the WSSM for my next AR project. It outperforms its .243/.308 Win counterpart. It equals the performance in an –06 case. This would be sweet in an small light AR platform and is pulling on my purse strings.

Crackshot, PaulS, I noticed that you have had WSSMs what do you think? Other?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WSSM Experience Reply with quote

For the AR platform it is a good option for upping the power without gettignng an AR -10 lower.

Dedicated Technologies is the maker I have had most information about. I had a friend using the .25 WSSM with great success and I priced a .243 WSSM for coyotes.

Mike is a good guy to work with.

www.dtechsuperstore.com/index.htm

PaulS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: WSSM Experience Reply with quote

Slimjim,
If you don't plan on using heavy bullets then the 308 is probably as good at killing as the short mags and at lower recoil levels.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
chambered221

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WSSM Experience Reply with quote

Just to be sure I understand correctly....... you want the WSSM because it can be utilized in a standard AR platform ??? It's an OAL issue ???

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WSSM Experience Reply with quote

Right - you need an AR-10 platform which is larger to accomodate .308 class rounds. The WSSM can be fed single stack in the 2.260" OAL restriction of an AR-15 magazine dimension. bolt face is obviously very different too but that is on the upper with the barrel extension appropriately adjusted.

If Slim wants to spend the money - an AR-10 in .308 or .243 would be a whole new rifle - the WSSM would just be an upper for about half the cost.

slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WSSM Experience Reply with quote

I like the smaller/lighter AR-15 frame. Some of the steel magazines give you an OAL of 2.3. You can modify PMags to let the bullet peek out the front and get 2.4" OAL.

www.youtube.com/watch?...ature=fvsr

If I keep my bullet nose length at .7" or below, it should work fine. Maybe feed some VLD single-shot for longer ranges. The .30 WSSM should better the .308. For hunthing I don't need a lot of magazine capacity. I'm close to committing.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: WSSM Experience Reply with quote

I think i need to get a commission from WOA and D-tech....

slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: WSSM Experience Reply with quote

Dawgdad, you definitely helped me with WOA. I've been following D-tech for some time now. Still getting my head wrapped around all the variables.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1