Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

.32 H&R magnum
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chambered221

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

Handloader was the last one I got rid of.....guess it was my favorite !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Suzanne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

I got my scope mount today and it was way too easy to put on. I love it! I ordered a BUSHNELL 1x28m TROPHY RED DOT from Grafs (last day of sale) great price too. It was about 30 dollars less than Bushnell sells them for. It's one of those small tube compact thingamajigs and has 4 reticle size settings. WHERE IS IT? I WANT IT NOW!!!

I'm under the credit card spell....someone hex it for me please...got my new Hornady 8th edition book today. It has loadings for the 30-30 lever-revolution bullets and the 6.5 Creedmore and lots of others and lots of newer powders too. Why is it winter....? Waiting on my dies and scope....HURRY UP!!

Taken my nephew out tomorrow to shoot the .17hmr and his .22 (if he's not hung over). I think I wrote that in another thread, you guys keepin up?

Ok you really wanna know what my problem is? Too much time off. I cleaned (I mean really cleaned) the kitchen today. I moved my library from one room to another and edited out the books and magazines for the recycler, cleaned up my desk and closed out my files for the year, made ready for the new years book keeping (household stuff). Before noon tomorrow (I'm taken my nephew at noon) I'm dusting and vacuuming the house, then grocery shopping. I hate this....I need a maid, so I can play.

To me it's like scraping doodoo off your waffle soled boots, you never really get it off and the smell never really goes away.

I need a new spirit guide, right now mine is a turtle, which is for good luck, but I think it's slowed me too much (being a freeekin turtle). If I see something tomorrow out in the woods, I'm taken it for a spirit guide, don't care what it is, it's gotta be better than a turtle. I have a lovely hand carved stone bear, but I'll never see a bear out there.

What was I talkin about?..Maybe Tom Waites could be my guide...

Suz

Maqwa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

Suz

It least I understand what your saying at least . My Wife is ojib.from Bear Island here in Ontario while I am pure dutch from the ol' country .
After thirty years in the Auto industy , I took up Native studies in social service and spent 4 Months with a teacher @ a native friendship centre under healing and wellness. Learned the basic teachings
From the four directions does not the bear come from the west ?
44marty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

I knew that you'd like that scope mount, Suz. I love mine, too. I also have the same Red Dot sight that you ordered. it's a good thing you got a head start on your housework. you will be spending a LOT of time shooting that single six once the sight arrives. It's an awesome combination.
Be careful what you wish for - going into the woods with a .17 and hoping to see a bear. I hope he isn't very hungry.
As far as spirit guides go, all I know is that mine must be red. Every time I've been going out deer hunting, I keep seeing red squirrels and a red fox. That fox is a beauty, and has passed very close by a number of times (as close as 15 feet). I can't recommend the "Sticks and Limbs" snow camo highly enough.

"To me it's like scraping doodoo off your waffle soled boots, you never really get it off and the smell never really goes away."
That's the best description of housework I've ever heard.

"..Maybe Tom Waites could be my guide..." Watch out, Suz, He'll have you driving all the way to Vegas on the wrong side of the road.

HAPPY 2011

The strength of the wolf is in the pack; the strength of the pack is in the wolf. ~ R. Kipling

I LOVE YOU, LADY LUCK !!!
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

I shot the morning in the back

With my red wings on

I told the sun he'd better go back down

And if I can find a book of matches

I'm goin' to burn this hotel down

Tom Waites or Waits i think.....well that's yer man Marty, red wing shoes an all, red's yer color, goes with the hair and that crease in your belly.

How cool you got the same set-up as I'm doin!!! We'll have to have a shoot out (on paper).

Well the moon is broken

And the sky is cracked

Come on up to the house

The only things that you can see

Is all that you lack

Come on up to the house

Suz

Aloysius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

Marty, just wondering: how do you carry that gun? As Suz, I also don't trust my eyes anymore, so I like scopes too. But a scope makes a handgun very unpleasant to carry... (not that we are allowed to carry a handgun, yet)
44marty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:
Marty, just wondering: how do you carry that gun? As Suz, I also don't trust my eyes anymore, so I like scopes too. But a scope makes a handgun very unpleasant to carry... (not that we are allowed to carry a handgun, yet)

Bianchi makes a holster for scoped handguns that isn't too awkward. It can be set up as a shoulder holster or belt holster. I use one for my 44 mag Blackhawk ( with 10 5/8" barrel and the same red dot scope as Suz and I are talking about ). Needless to say, this is a bit awkward when carried as a shoulder holster, but not too bad. On the belt, it works fine but isn't too concealable.

I think the holster model is called the "HUSH" system. I can dig out my paperwork on it, if you are interested. This was the only holster I could find at the time for the long barrel. It works well.

PS- Suz, no worries about durability of the Bushnell red dot sight on your Single Six. One has held up well on my .44 mag, and the other has seen thousands of rounds on my .22

The strength of the wolf is in the pack; the strength of the pack is in the wolf. ~ R. Kipling

I LOVE YOU, LADY LUCK !!!
Suzanne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

Got my scope today and mounted it. Had to buy a bore sighter too but it was worth it. I loaded up 12rnds. The Unique doesn't fill the cartridge much. Looks like maybe Blue Dot or some other slower burning powder, but I'll see what this'll do. Maybe I shoulda asked around on what powder to use before I bought that stuff. We'll see what happens. I used 3.5gr and then topped with a 85gr JHP bullet.

Used my new Lee disk powder measure, I like the way it works but finding the right disk hole is a pain. The chart they give you is completely confusing. I have no idea how to read it. I might get an add on they have for metering, it has a vernier scale to give you really small incremental adjustments. Otherwise you have to jump to the next higher whole on the disk.

I think I might try and make a shoulder sling holster. Uncle Mikes makes one inexpensively but without seein it and tryin it....you know. I looked at the HUSH rig and it's really nice, but it's spendy and rather lengthy for me. Well I can sew and measure and rig something up I'm sure. My sewing machine will handle heavy material pretty much. It'll just be another winter project to get me through the cold days that you can't do anything else. I need to give my credit cards a rest too. Haven't gotten any bills.....yet but I'm sure they'll find their way to my house.

Suz

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

Suz, I use an Uncle Mike's bandolier holster for my .44 Mag w/ red dot. I added an ammo carrier to the strap so I have 12 rounds handy. Also added a fast disconnect strap as a belt, to keep it from flopping without fastening it to my belt

www.unclemikes.com/pro...sters.html

About $50 at Midway.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
PaulS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

Suz,
With your talents you can make a wooden mock-up of your gun and get some leather and make a darn fine holster for your rig. You just sew the bottom half (trigger guard side) of the holster using an extra 3/4 inch and then wet the leather and fit it to the waxed mock-up. Sew it all together and let it dry on the waxed mock-up.
It will fit well and if it is designed to slide out (I like then to slide) then it will always be ready for action. I usually include either a spring or loop strap to hold the gun in when I am not wanting it to be ready for action.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Suzanne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea Paulie, thought against leather tho. because of acid in the leather tanning, but I guess you can get vegetable tanned? leather. Actually I was thinkin about a zippered pistol case I found at the store. I could take the zipper out and sew it up then cut out an opening for the pistola, stitch on some webbing and make a shoulder holster out of it. I need to measure my pistol with the scope on it to see if it would fit first. What's handy about that is it's a padded case and I wouldn't have to stitch together very much to have a nice padded holster. It would be a hunting rig not a concealment thingy, too big to conceal anyway.

Yeah that's cool how you can form leather like that. I used to have a side holster that was formed like that, fits like a glove and grips the gun nicely too. Just don't leave the gun in there for storage. I have a large folding knife that was left in a leather pouch and the brass all turned green from the acid in the tanning. It all cleaned up ok.

Talented!!
Suz

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

Vegetable tanned leather is easy enough to get Suz...and it is usually lovely and soft too. You can usually buy offcuts at a saddlery shop...and its very easy to work as well.

When I sew leather, I do it by hand mate. I have a sewing awl that is made in the US that I use...and it makes a very strong seam too.

Have a look at the bandolier style holster mate...might be just the thing for you...given the "lady shape" of your figure it should sit nice and comfy and will be easy to carry and readily accessible. I know that if we were allowed to hunt with a handgun, that is the style holster I would be using.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

I have some cases to show you....These are fresh from the box new. Possibly over crimped I guess. Federal ammo 32 H&R magnum. I've had these for over 20yrs they are from jacked hollow points. I have some other Federal and they're lead. Wondering if the lead would be better....do they crimp lead? I dunno. Mostly I want to use the brass for reloading and from what I've seen so far I've changed my mind on this stuff. The brass I did handload was from cases I saved from 20yrs ago. (I really haven't shot the gun for over 20 yrs). Didn't show any signs of over pressure on them and I crimped them too.

Here's my sighting in targets. I used the newish rounds (the ones that split and 17 that didn't) the photo to the right is when I thought it was sighted in........I used the handload only on that one. Needs some work..

What the heck....I'm tryin out a red dot scope on the pistol and i love it...I was shooting unaided so I bet I can get a better sight-in with a rest....weather sux right now for shooting, still love that gun, it's so sweet to pop.

Suz

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

Brand new cases shouldn't split like that on their first loading Suz. Its got me knackered mate...no idea what would cause that...worn chamber maybe, could even be a faulty batch of brass.

I'll be watching this one to hopefully learn something.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: .32 H&R magnum Reply with quote

I've had nickel plated cases split a bunch on the first reload in .357 Mag loads. Not sure why, I figured that maybe the sizing die was on the small side and that the nickel didn't handle stretching well.

Yes, crimp all revolver loads, jacketed or plain lead. You aren't over crimping unless you see that you are deforming the bullet or brass.

Aren't those red dots neat for those of us who are "visually challenged"?

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 5