· Views: 824054
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

100 years old this year!
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: 100 years old this year! Reply with quote

George a sub caliber is anything smaller than 375

Crackshot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 100 years old this year! Reply with quote

The ol"06" will do anything that some of the big ones will do and more efficiently.

george20042007

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 100 years old this year! Reply with quote

GroovyJack wrote:

I never heard of this before. Shocked Is this your own definition, or is this an industry standard?

Keep it coming...
Al_Sohlstrom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 100 years old this year! Reply with quote

Hi
george20042007 wrote:
GroovyJack wrote:

I never heard of this before. Shocked Is this your own definition, or is this an industry standard?

Keep it coming...
Sub-caliber isn't a SIZE! It's a way of DOING things!! You fire sub-caliber stuff to get the training without paying the bills for the actual ammunition.

I, for instance, have TWO Taurus trackers, now: One in .357 Mag, and the other in .22LR. Train train train with the .22, carry carry carry the .357 (after training a BIT with it, of course).

The sub-caliber for the 66mm LAW is about an inch around. They tweak the aerodynamice and propulsion system to make it fly the same, and put in a puffball spotting charge payload instead of the normal HE payload.

Confused Train us old-timers with the cheap stuff, right?!?! wtf

:lol: I think that GroovyJack is using, "sub-caliber," as an abbreviation Laughing
Laughing for any small arms caliber that won't sink a submarine. Laughing

GroovyJack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 100 years old this year! Reply with quote

Here here .. Howdy

Sub Caliber is anything smaller than 375 is my definition .. They ( smaller calibers ) do make good training rounds .. Al is correct in my thinking .. Very Happy

My avatar is/was my favorite caliber .. But that was another life time ago .. And another life .. Flag

Sorry Al , probably take more than even my avatar to sink a bubblehead .. Those sub hulls are tuff .. The one that sunk the Jap trawler a couple years ago when it did its emergency blow exercise , wasnt damaged at all , and the trawler sank fast ...

George I'm trying to yank yur chain Bonk

george20042007

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 100 years old this year! Reply with quote

GroovyJack wrote:
Here here .. Howdy

Sub Caliber is anything smaller than 375 is my definition .. They ( smaller calibers ) do make good training rounds .. Al is correct in my thinking .. Very Happy

My avatar is/was my favorite caliber .. But that was another life time ago .. And another life .. Flag

Sorry Al , probably take more than even my avatar to sink a bubblehead .. Those sub hulls are tuff .. The one that sunk the Jap trawler a couple years ago when it did its emergency blow exercise , wasnt damaged at all , and the trawler sank fast ...

George I'm trying to yank yur chain Bonk

I thought so, but you could have fooled me. I was almost believing you meant it. I take it you like big calibers Laughing
Keep it coming...
PaulS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 100 years old this year! Reply with quote

My favorite rifle is the 30-'06 that my dad taught me to shoot with. I still remember the first time I fired it and it bounced onto and off of my poor aching shoulder. I was about eight and back then it was in full military dress. About two years later dad bought a semi-finished stock and started working on it.
I have loads that range from 110 grain JHP for little furry things that go pop, 130 grain that is for anything you don't care about the hide on because the exit hole is bigger than my fist and you just can't hide a "blemish" like that, The 165 grain BTSP that is my anything with meat load, a 180 grain partition for bear (black bear), elk and anything bigger.
Anything over say 1000 pounds needs a bigger gun in my opinion and I don't want to shoot the rifle or hunt the animal that is that size. But I have plinked with my '06 and I thought I was the only person to use it for plinking - it is nice to see that others do that too. I confess that I HAVE hunted birds with my '06 and successfully too. It is mot a good idea to do that but when your back-drop is a sheer cliff of Basalt you don't have to wonder where that bullet went after it gutted the bird you just hit. We trained with .177 cal. pellet rifles to hit moving targets and the '06 just seemed to take to it naturally.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 100 years old this year! Reply with quote

Well yeah I do mean it , I absolutely have no desire for anything smalller than 375 , tho I do have two smaller than that .. One is a No4 Mk1 Enfield bought for my lit'l ozzie mate and his excursions into the northern hemisphere , the other is a M98 that I have had for 35 years ..

Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 100 years old this year! Reply with quote

Never shot anything that big Jack, how do they shoot ?? Confused

Dimitri

GroovyJack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 100 years old this year! Reply with quote

If you can shoot them , it takes practice like anything else , 375's are very accurate , as well as many other large caliber rifles ..

Ya hafta remember they're not made for putting five rounds in one ragged little hole ..

The 375 when I do my part will easily put 3 inside an inch .. The 458 will put 3 inside about an inch and a quarter ..

Most people try to fight the recoil , but if you roll with it , it's much more bearable ( this is good advice for any rifle ) , 458 still hurts a bit ..

And dont do a lot of shooting off the bench , unless you have a good pad ( like the Sims ) , which makes it much easier ..

Crackshot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 100 years old this year! Reply with quote

I have a Winchester Model 70 (pre 64) that bellonged to my Father in 375 H&H, shoots great! But it does not get shot much as I dont get chosen as often as I would like for our Michigan Elk draws. Sad

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 100 years old this year! Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Jack, I just might have to try a 375 someday Very Happy

Dimitri

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 2