· Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Your Next Acquisition?
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Handloader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

When I started this thread I should have realized how vain it is to actually plan your next purchase. We often don't go and buy guns as much as we stumble onto one that has some merit and matches the amount of cash in our pocket or credit limit on the card. That is reality and it hapenned to me today.

I was returning from a Coues deer hunt (successful -- after six days of busting through mazanita and thorn brush, climbing Everest height desert peaks, stumbling down scree, etal) and stopped at a small gun shop in a small town along the way. Exiting the shop was a gent with a rifle wrapped in a blanket -- the shop wasn't buying. Now, curiosity amped, I asked what he had and what he had was a cosmetically abused Ruger No3 in 45-70, a 130 series.

He had used steel wool on the barrel to the point there was little bluing and smeared the wood with LinSpeed. But, it has the original butt plate and the bore is shinny. "How much do you need for it?" "$150" he replied. So, now, I have a new project and my wallet is a tad lighter.

But I had never planned on this acquistion. Typical.
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

Well Handloader according to my serial number list for Ruger singles heres the following info for ya :
serial number is first number for the corresponding year

130-00001 1970
130-01681 1971
130-03843 1972
130-04859 1973
130-05203 1974
130-12779 1975
130-17490 1976
130-40795 1977

Good find
Jack

Handloader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

Thanks GroovyJack:

Mine is a 1974.
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

Great find I might add again .. I have a '78 375 H@H Number One .. Looks brand new .. Love em ..
Jack

Silvertip
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

I'm going to buy one of those new Stevens Model 200 rifles in .308 Win. I can get one new for $250.00. I'll put a good scope on it and work up some reloads and be all set. Very Happy
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

There's bin a rem mod 721 at a local gun shop for a few months that was originally chambered for 30/06 that has bin rechambered for the 308 norma mag. I always wanted one. The initial cost of reloading components will up there a little but I may try and get it. Can't hurt to have a new toy Very Happy
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

A 721 ?? U aint bought 'er yet ??
Jack

calsibley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

I shoot mostly varmint and at the range so I'm, prone to smaller calibers.
I'm leaning heavily toward CZs or possibly stepping up to a Cooper. For many years I was a Remington man, but I've had a couple of bad ones lately, and don't know if I want to chance them again. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
7mmREMMAG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

Dont know exactly why! but iv always wanted and am shooting for a 50 cal BMG Love Shooting as my next gun. Then i think im done for awhile. In the last 4 months iv bought a Savage mod 110 7mm Remmag, Rem mod 710 300 Win mag, Rem mod 7400 270win autoloader, Sparten over and under 12 Ga (for shooting trap) Traditions 32 cal rifle for my daughter and last friday i came home with a Rem mod 710 in 30-06 SPRG which i sited in last sat and am very happy with.Taking it deer hunting this weekend (2 weeks left ) for the season. Wife is starting to get on my but Mad Keeps asking what do you need with another gun. I just smile and say cause i dont have this one (but i do now) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

popgun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

Quote::
Dont know exactly why! but iv always wanted and am shooting for a 50 cal BMG

Other than cost of rifle, ammo, and reloading gear and components the one big problem with owning a 50 BMG is having a range that will allow them, or, another place that it is safe to shoot them. This rifle mandates a backstop or berm that will stop the 50 BMG round. Hiding
This is worth thinking long and hard about before making the purchase. Kind of like buying an attack trained dog, the liability is awsome. Shocked

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
POP!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

Tomorrow i am getting a CZ 527 Varmint in 204. BTW I got a 1895 Marlin Cowboy instead of a 444.

GroovyJack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

Yeah with a 50 unless you got at least 500-600 yards , it's no fun .. Other than irritating the others at the range .. they are fun to shoot tho' ..
Jack

BigBlue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

My problem is that I stumble onto a good deal before I get to buy what I planned and saved for. Then I have to start saving up all over again.
Yesterday I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard Sporter in 7mm Rem Mag. It has a real nice satin finished walnut stock with the signature Weatherby rosewood fore end cap, and high monte carlo cheek piece. I installed a Leupold 2.5-8 scope. It was another deal that I just came across and just couldn't pass up.
Don
Blaine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

I've got to slow down a bit. In the last 3 months I've either bought or have on order:
Stevens 200 in 30-06
Savage 111 FS in 7MM Mag
Savage 14 Classic in 7MM-08
Savage 10GLXP in 270 WSM

I've run out of room in my gun safe. Confused I refuse to sell any of my guns. I did that once and I still have nightmares about it ( and if my leg was longer, I'd still be kicking myself in the south side.) Crying or Very sad

Blaine

cjp45
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Your Next Acquisition? Reply with quote

If they were available I would buy a Savage 16FSS in 325WSM or in the new 338 Federal. I already have a Swift Premium 4-12X40 and Leupold base and rings waiting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 4