· Comments: 86

Chamber Inserts/Adapters
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering buying a set of chamber inserts to allow me to shoot .410 cartridges from my 12g O/U shotgun.

A mate over here has two different styles of Adapters for his 12g...a set of Rhino Stinger 20 gauge 15" tubes and a set of GaugeMate Gold Series chamber adapters for .410 calibre. I have fired both and like the versatility that they offer...and both bust clays easily, assuming I do my bit properly.

The Rhino Stingers are rather expensive at US$1025 a set, and realistically out of my reach financially. However, the GaugeMate Adapters are much more reasonably priced at US$170 a set, which makes them a more attractive option for me. The GaugeMate Adapters are just long enough for a 3" .410 cartridge to chamber.

Rhino Stinger Tubes

GaugeMate Chamber Adapters

Has anybody heard anything untoward or nasty about these tools? I would hate to do any damage to my beloved Fausti Stephano O/U.

Cheers, Vince

stinger photos 2.jpg
 Description:
12g to 20g Rhino Stinger Tubes
 Filesize:  33.62 KB
 Viewed:  17687 Time(s)

stinger photos 2.jpg

gmgdesc.jpg
 Description:
12g to .410 Chamber Adapter
 Filesize:  63.5 KB
 Viewed:  17687 Time(s)

gmgdesc.jpg

goldkit.jpg
 Description:
12g to .410 Chamber Adapters
 Filesize:  39.01 KB
 Viewed:  17689 Time(s)

goldkit.jpg

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

A shooting buddy of mine uses 410 inserts for his 12g o/u. He has been using them for about 2 years without any problems. Here is the link from the website he bought his from.

Shotgun Inserts

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

Vince, over here, there is not a price advantage for .410 or 20 ga ammo. And for those prices, I could purchase some fun/fine .410s. What is the benefit of the inserts?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
RePete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

I had and sold 2 Savage adaptors for a 12ga SG in 410.

Stercus Accidit = Sh*t Happens in Latin.

Nice try = You Suck spelled different.

My parents spanked me as a child. As a result, I now suffer from a psychological condition known as RESPECT FOR OTHERS.
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
What is the benefit of the inserts?

When the wife doesn't allow a purchase of another gun. Very Happy Very Happy

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
chambered221

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

From the standpoint of a skeet shooter I highly recommend full length fitted tubes with a screw in/on choke !!!

That's not to say there is anything wrong with the shorties or the adapters.
It all boils down to the intended purpose and how much shooting you'll be doing.

The adapters I seen/used did not have an ejector built in. They were a PIA when shooting a round of skeet. The lack of a choke can be a big issue when shooting anything past 20-25 yards. Using a tight choke in the gun can help extend effective range but can be subjective. Do some pattern testing to determine if it will help your particular set up.
Very important to clean the barrels, especially the chamber and forcing cone once your done with the adapter. Build up will occur in front of the adapter.

The short tubes work (IMO) just as well as the full length ones do.
The only problem with them, they too get a build up at the end.
Cleaning the barrels with them are equally important.

The most popular tubes in the US are Kolar and Briley!!! (scroll down find "tube sets" on Briley page)

Vince, Rhino sells individual gauges if you just want .410

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
...What is the benefit of the inserts?...

I've always liked the little .410 cartridge...does a great job in the field and is cheaper to reload than the 12g. Having said that, I don't want to do away with my 12g, consequently, this is the way to both "have your cake and eat it too".

Also...OV1 hit the nail on the head...easy way to get another "calibre".

I don't intend shooting Skeet with the .410 Chambered...that is the role of the 12g, and I will rarely shoot Skeet anyway as we don't have a Skeet layout at our Club...only Trap, which can also be used for Continental and Ball Trap.

My shottie get a very thorough clean at the end of each day's shooting anyway mate, so there will be no problems with buildup.

I had a look at the Kolar and Briley tubes...a little out of my reach financially mate, but thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Cheers, Vince

chambered221

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

Should have also mentioned.......you might need to make an alteration to your trigger !!!

If you have a inertia trigger that needs recoil for the second shot you'll need the alteration for the .410. It is sometimes needed for the 28ga. as well.
If you have a mechanical trigger your good to go.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
tikkat3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

I'm glad you said cheaper to reload, Vince
The factory 410's are over a $1.00 per shot, the 12g are about 0.30c
I've a 410 single shot I take to clays some times, it fits a mate really well and he busts alot of clays, and we always seem to roll around laughing about it.
Its an old farm gun that use to live behind the back door and get used on unwelcome crawlies. Now it gets pulled out for a bit of fun.
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

Sounds like a hassle. Consider something you and the grandchildren will enjoy shooting.

www.mossberg.com/produ...play=specs

www.cabelas.com/produc...l+Products

Guess Winchester stop making their lever-action .410.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
terry264

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

Vince, found some more for you to consider at site I will try to attach. Also saw some of the Savage "Four-tenner" inserts for sale on other sites.

www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

You may have to click around to find the shotgun adapters or inserts.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
Sounds like a hassle. Consider something you and the grandchildren will enjoy shooting....
...Guess Winchester stop making their lever-action .410.

That is definitely the ideal option Slim, but unfortunately the Mossbergs are out of the equation...we are not allowed pump action shotguns over here...they are very nasty deadly weapons, and the Marlin, as much as I like the look of it is priced a little too high for my finances at the moment. In addition, there is the hassle and costs of going through the procurement, jusification and licensing procedures with the Police.

Terry264 wrote:
Vince, found some more for you to consider at site I will try to attach. Also saw some of the Savage "Four-tenner" inserts for sale on other sites.

Thanks mate...already had a look at them...I think the GaugeMate is a better option...and I can get them easily out here in Australia. Where did you see the Four-tenner inserts for sale mate? They might well be worth a look as I've heard good things about them.

Chambered wrote:
Should have also mentioned.......you might need to make an alteration to your trigger !!!

If you have a inertia trigger that needs recoil for the second shot you'll need the alteration for the .410. It is sometimes needed for the 28ga. as well.
If you have a mechanical trigger your good to go.

My Fausti has mechanical triggers Chambered...makes life easy.

Tikkat3 wrote:
I'm glad you said cheaper to reload, Vince...I've a 410 single shot I take to clays some times, it fits a mate really well and he busts alot of clays, and we always seem to roll around laughing about it.
Its an old farm gun that use to live behind the back door and get used on unwelcome crawlies. Now it gets pulled out for a bit of fun.

I hear ya mate...luckily my shooting buddy has four shotgun loading presses, one dedicated to .410, and we are also setting up to cast our own shot because of the prices of shot.

The .410 has always been a fun little shotgun, and it is no slouch when it comes to shooting clays either...although you have to be quick off the mark.

Cheers, Vince

terry264

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

www.gunbroker.com/Auct...sults.aspx

Vince, that's the only place I find them today online but looks like they have several that may work. Good luck.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

Thanks Terry.

Cheers, Vince

Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Chamber Inserts/Adapters Reply with quote

there are guys over here turning them up on a lath out of good quality aluminum I reckon it wouldnt be too hard to do the only tricky bit will be getting used cases out but a cut out on part of rim to flick em out with a screw driver/knife/nail would work. have a look on line as there is heaps of options out there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 3