Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

6mm remington
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

I've understood that seating the bullet deeper in the case, or further from the lands, can decrease pressure because the bullet, being further away from the lands, is moving faster and transitions into the lands easier.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Aloysius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

but on the other hand seating the bullet deeper means also decreasing the case's volume, which increases pressure...
lucky we don't alsways have to understand everything before we can use it Smile
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

Barnes Bullets did a lab test on seating bullets using pressure test barrels, click link to go to the page and scroll down to "From The Lab".

www.barnesbullets.com/...-bullet-n/

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

Hmmm, Looks like in at least some cases the gun-writer pundit has it wrong. That's the problem with generalizations like that; they can lead people down the wrong (and potentially dangerous) path. Think I'll stick to my old way...if I change seating depth, start low and work the charge up.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

SingleShotLover wrote:
Hmmm, Looks like in at least some cases the gun-writer pundit has it wrong. That's the problem with generalizations like that; they can lead people down the wrong (and potentially dangerous) path. Think I'll stick to my old way...if I change seating depth, start low and work the charge up.

Yep!

The bullet is a plug.
Move it farther into the case the pressure in the case goes up. Move it out to JOTL and the chamber/case pressure also goes up.
Fatory hunt loads are mag lentgh or less for ease of cycling and unless you have zero freebore the bullet should be way off the lands. Youve smudge the cases and you dont have a headspace issue so if your handloads are hitting the lands and you are way under the MAX OAL somethings up- scrap them bullets and go to another brand that does not impead so much on the charge in the case/gives you a lot more room to the lands (gnetler ogive). Couldnt hurt to have the rifle insepcted as well to see if something is up or out of spec.
I'm suprised on my 300 how much freebore there is and how little powder I have to use to get results when I'm JOTL.
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

Chris, The only advise I'll give about bullet selection is understand what it was designed to do and most importantly what it was not designed to do !!!

The reason you don't see Varget listed for the heavier bullets is simply because it's to fast burning to get the highest velocities possible. That's not to say you cant use it, you can if you want to.

We use RL22 with the 95 and 100 grain bullets.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

Hi Chambered! Wave
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

Hi Stovey !!! Howdy

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

Hey Chamby- go check out the primer pic I posted in my Highpower thread I'm interested to know what YOU think....
Elvis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

chambered I dont know where you are looking but in my ADI 3rd edition hand book 6mm Remington/.244 Remington has AR2208 loads for 55 grn projectiles right up to 107grn projectiles the 55s are going at 4014fps!!!! and the 107s are doing 2854 so thats reasonably quick.

Last edited by Elvis on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Aloysius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

Elvis, when you reload you have to pay attention to the little things, as often in life...
I think you wrote ".224 Remington" but meant ".244 Remington"

the main difference between the .244 Remington and the 6 mm Remington is besides the headstamp, the twist of the barrel used. Fast twist in the younger caliber 6 mm Rem for the heavy bullets, slower twist in the original caliber .244 Rem. for the light bullets (intended for varmint but used for deer and so causing stability problems in the heavier bullets).

So if you don't push them too hard, you might get a 55 grs bullet stabilized in the 6 mm Rem. but I fear pressure will limit you to give enough speed to stabilize a 107 grs bullet in a .244 Rem.
So even your ADI shouldn't mix both calibers.
Elvis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed oops plurry typos Embarassed Embarassed
that reminds me
how do you know when a blond has been useing the computer????

twink on the screen.
(twink being the white paint type stuff in a wee container with a brush like nail polish)

Aloysius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

Here it's called "Tipp-Ex" Smile

and I remember so much about the 6 mm Rem, because that was my first centrefire: a Remington 700 Varminter in 6 mm Rem. I still have it and I even still like it, maybe because most of my friends have a .243 win in the 6 mm class or maybe because I like the 7 mm Mauser so much (which is the parent of the 6 mm Rem.) One can find strange reasons to buy, like or to keep a gun Smile
chambered221

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

Elvis, The book Chris has does not have it listed. Was only explaining why it's not always listed.

~George Washington
chambered221

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 6mm remington Reply with quote

Aloysius, 55gr. B-Tips work just fine in the 6mm...... If you look around I believe I have a picture and load data listed some where here.
It's running 4100+fps, just under max and no signs of pressure.

~George Washington
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 3 of 4