· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Don't know if I like this
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

I bought a new gun (.17 cal) and noticed the target crown is chattered looking, wondering if I should smooth it out or leave it alone. Haven't shot it yet, as I can't find a store open.....(I'm not going to rob a store, I'm talkin about.....well I need some ammo....sheeeesh) After Christmas bloooose....

Anyway it seems weird they would leave a choppy looking crown on a bull barrel. Can't get my photos any bigger, hope you can see what I'm talking about.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img

blu
Sue

A17Shooter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

Looks like the chatter marks intrude into the bore. Generally, that is an accuracy killer. Quick and easy job for a decent gunsmith.

Good luck.

TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

Very Happy Suz-http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=muzzle+crowning+tool/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=muzzle_crowning_tool

You seem like a "doityourselfer",if you search around you will find 17 cal muzzle crowning what-nots!Can you take the gun back for an exchange first? Good luck! Smile

Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

The chatter marks don't go into the bore....don't know how you could see that...but anyway I need to shoot it and see wtf. Was kinda wondering if it was common and I found out that Savage .17 barrels don't exactly get the attention to details.

I found, on other forum, where a guy had a similar issue and contacted Savage, they told him to send it back to them, they replaced the whole rifle, and he ended up with the same problem again. I'm gonna fix it myself, if it is an issue, gotta shoot it first to find out.

Thanks (TRBLSHTR) for the link, as I may go that route. I could prob. get it nice and square in my drill press and whirrrr away. Got me some booolits today and a cleaning rod. How nice and cheap the rounds are!! I got 150rnds for $33. I bought 3 brands and 2 are 17gr one is 20gr. That should give me a good cross-section of ammo.

Suz

Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

All is good.....my apologies to Savage....after very close inspection, with the aid of a jeweler's loupe, I'm able to see that it is not chatter marks, it's wavy lines following the lands and gooves. I don't think it's going to be a problem at all. It's just that it was very hard to see. OMG I'm getting too old to see.....anyway thanks for all your help cowboys.

On the other forum I was talking about in the above post, the problem was at the throat end and he had a great photo of curling metal all around the terminal end of the throat. It looked like it should have been de-burred. My eyesight (being as it is) will not allow me to see that area under magnification....all the better.

I just need to go shoot it. I'm very antsy, the weather is blowing scud, cold and even lightning. I'm stayin in. There's lots of munchies, Tv sux, where's Jonnie? Good day to play horn-toad-n-fireant.

Suz

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

"horn-toad-n-fireant" ??? Should I ask?

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Aloysius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
"horn-toad-n-fireant" ??? Should I ask?

Someone should because not everybody dares...

is it something like "hide the bunny" ?
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

ROFL Done ROFL

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
moose2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

That 17 should be a lot of fun to shoot as well as being very accurate. Congrats on your new rifle. Very Happy

tlo7mm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

Hey suz you will need to let us know what you think of it. I have had a 17 HMR for quite some time and they are a kick shooting. I think you will enjoy that gun hands down. You should also share what ammo you have settled on as I am interested in what you discover.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain
Suzanne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

BushM, Aloys!?! Want the video??
Moosy2 thanks!
TLO7mm I will, I will, if the freekin weather will cooperate. Yeah I hope it's more accurate than that 10-22. Wondering if the 17gr or the 20gr will do better. It's funny I never looked at the boxes till I got home, to see what weight the bullets were. I have 2 boxes of 20gr and one box of 17gr.

I just bought some camo paint and some stencils to make that very ugly camo stock look better. I tell you the worse the weather gets the more antsy I get to go shooting. Friday and on into Sunday should be sunny but cold. Maybe I can get out there.

SuzSnoozeBluzeBoozeSnoozeSnoozeSuz

Suzanne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

Cool!!! I got the gun out today and shot 20rnds through it, I'm addicted!! This is a fun gun. It helps that the scope is already sighted in. Must be for 100yds, as I was shooting bout 50yds and had to compensate a bit, but once I had it dialed in I could hit every little can and plastic bottle out there no problem. Once the snow melts I can set up some paper targets and see how it goes. I had snow falling on me out of the trees the whole time and it was wet and hard to load my magazine, once I got going I didn't want to stop tho.

The magazine has to be held up a bit or the round won't chamber. Wonder if I can tweek something to make it right. I'll fiddle with it tonight.

Suz

A17Shooter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

The 17 HMR is a great cartridge for small game and plinking. It does do some fancy wind drift. All the VMax bullet ammo is loaded at the CCI plant. Probably most of the other is also. Of course all of the VMax bullets are Hornady products. It's a good ground squirrel/prairie dog/rock chuck kind of gun. Definitely try stretching the range a little bit. My bragging shots are out past 200 yds.

good luck and good shooting,

Suzanne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

Well I took my nephew and his Daddy came along to go shooting the 17hmr and my Glock, it was fun. The ground was a muddy mess so I couldn't sit my patootie on the ground to shoot, but I got up next to a big ole fir tree and that helped me steady that heavy barrel. The gun is front heavy and my nephew (although he is around 30yrs) had a worse time of it than I did. At about 75yds there was a stump with shattered clay pigeon parts on it, I was able to smite them and amazed my nephew (and myself).

Yeah I like the gun alright. Can't wait for warmer drier weather. I put out a paper target (same distance) and kept a group of 10 shots in an area of 3 inches or so. My nephew and his Daddy were amazed at the Glock. I put the heaviest bullets I've got in it (to get rid of them) and they thought I was crazy to own a gun that was such a mule kicker. They happily shot my 50rnds. I had 2 fail to fire. Primer was hit. I'm not buying Federal ammo anymore.

I had one rimfire rnd that didn't go off too. Just put it back in the gun and it fired the second time. My nephew was struggling with his 22 rifle, the scope was off about almost a foot to the right. I told him how to correct it but wanted me to do it. I got him about 5 inches closer and left the rest to him. He gave up. He needs to zero it, bore sight it, and try again. Don't think he ever bore sighted it to begin with. He's one of those guys that interrupts you when you're talkin and I tend to shut up when people do that. I just figure that if they know better than me then I don't need to bother myself.

never liked
people anyway
Suz

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Don't know if I like this Reply with quote

If it was off a foot at 50 yards he might need to remount it.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2