Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

A Friend & A Vet.
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vmaster59

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: A Friend & A Vet. Reply with quote

These two letters are from a friend of mine. He also was a vet in WW ll. He is in his 80's now. when we talk about this country of ours. You can tell he is sadden to see the shape she is in now days. This man lived through the great depression,served in a great war. He came home and lived the "American Dream" Got marry,had a family and worked hard till he retired. I love to talk to him. It's sad that we are loosing so many of the people without knowing their story. So when some old timer wants set and talk please take time out to do so. But watch out you may learn something. So on this Veterans Day lets stop and say thanks to those who served and say a prayer for those that paid the ultimate price for our freedom. I hope we the people can get this country back in shape so people like my friend is not sadden to see their country in such sad shape. And for our kids and grand kids.

A VETERAN

Remembering the America we fought for December 7,1941 was the first of many sad days.As we entered the war,America was the most respected nation for two reason: One,our faith in God because for many years we had been as a Christian nation and secondly because God had blessed America so magnificently with natural resources. We developed them into becoming the world's wealthiest nation. The world watched how we used our wealth. We helped nations in their hour of need. We had never let a friend down. They respected us for it.

I only served in two foreign countries,North Africa and Italy. In both countries a few times people came up to a group of us and said "you're Americans we can trust" or "you're Americans,you believe in God." Expressions like these coming from people from two foreign countries helped increase our pride and respect for America.

The years have passed and we are old veterans now and tend to forget much of the hard years. We look at it as an honor to have served America and the American people that gave so much toward victory.

Raymond R. Powers

A VETERAN,S SALUTE

This is a salute to all Americans that developed our fighting equipment. America had lived in peace between wars. We were badly prepared for war. Our equipment was old and in short supply. You came on aboard and gave us fighting equipment second to none.

The first year of fighting was fought primarily in the Pacific theater of operations,where our forces fought against forces armed much better than ours. They fought many hard,uphill battles.

The war moved into the Atlantic theater of operations,where we matched guns with the Germans. They claimed the Dual-Purpose 88 gun shot with the speed of our 30.06 rifle. What it had in speed,it lost in accuracy. You gave us the 105 Howitzer. Inthe hands of a man that knew how to use it,the 105 proved to be one of the most deadly accurate of all guns. The Germans fired many duds that could have killed or wounded many boys. We learned we had unknowns. Some of the boys opened one of the bombs. It had a note that read,"This is all we can do." We learned early on that in the heat of battle,when we pulled the trigger on the bobs and bullets,we were going to live.

We trust you have enjoyed riding on post war tires more than on the old recaps.

Our fighting equipment was made with American know how packed with American pride. I think I speak for other veterans when I say you surely won our salute.

Just a veteran that remembers your contribution.

Raymond R. Powers

Just a footnote here.

My mom and dad worked in the shipyards and my mom went to work for Boeing building the B-29. I am very prod of them all. I to say thanks and God bless you for everything you did.

Clint

"A feather fell from the sky. The eagle saw it, the bear smelled it, and the
deer heard it, but only the coyote did all three"
Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: A Friend & A Vet. Reply with quote

very true. we should all be humble of our past.

slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: A Friend & A Vet. Reply with quote

vmaster, thanks for sharing!!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 1