Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

fluted barrels
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kentucky hareraiser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: fluted barrels Reply with quote

gonna get a barrel for my t/c and it's a 223 rem . what would br the diffrence in stainless fluted barrel and regulsr stainless steel barrel.. which one would be better.. all this encore barrel stuff confuses me

longwalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: fluted barrels Reply with quote

A fluted Barrel can save weight and also offer more surface area for cooling. Personally I'm not a big fan but there are good reasons for having them. They do however add some manufacturing costs due to additional process control measures to assure straight barrels.

Longwalker
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: fluted barrels Reply with quote

Accuracy wise, the flutes make no difference. Reduction of weight by the flutes will be pretty minimal and the minimal increase in surface area with the flutes will not give you an appreciable advantage in barrel cooling.

In summary, the flutes are mainly for looks and will look pretty dumb if you ever decide to shorten the barrel. Assuming you're shooting an Encore, a fluted Pro Hunter factory barrel will be 28 inches long which is a bit more than you need when shooting the 223 Remington cartridge.

All that said, I have several fluted Pro Hunter barrels and I like them. The reason I have them is because people sold them cheaply to me probably because they considered them too long to be handy.

You also might compare prices between T/C barrels and Match Grade Machine barrels. I have mostly T/C barrels but the latter are truly gorgeous and you could get it the length you want and even with flutes.
kentucky hareraiser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: fluted barrels Reply with quote

i think i'll order the 24" 223 stainless arrel for the 223 rem.. good accuracy fron that lenth ,reckon' ?

Grumulkin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: fluted barrels Reply with quote

I have a blue heavy 223 Encore barrel in that length and it's good for about 0.6 MOA.
packnheat
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: fluted barrels Reply with quote

One of my barrels for my contender is a 14" Blued Bull barrel. Deadly accurate! Like some of the others have said really the only reason for a flutted barrel is 1) to reduce weight. 2) to help cooling. Some will say that it does not reduce accuracy, and I can't say it does or does not but all of my years working as a machinist and around metalurgist I do know that anytime you remove metal, you reduce the rigidity. In the heavier calibers for the contender, I for sure like the heavier (Bull) barrels. The extra weight of the barrel helps tame the felt recoil.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
chambered221

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: fluted barrels Reply with quote

Shilen Rifle Barrels stance on the issue !!!

www.shilen.com/faq.html#question8

Now keep in mind these guys are know for producing top level performance for the benchrest world.
I'm of the opinion that most shooters/hunters will find a quality fluted barrel to provide plenty enough accuracy to make them happy !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: fluted barrels Reply with quote

Idea I would like to see somebody(machine shop) flute a barrel with the same design as splines on a pto shaft -all at automotive type of tolerances.Most shafts are designed to be run at higher rpms and are balanced,and should flex and return to zero.If nothing else should definately aid in cooling,and rigidity!Would'nt lose much weight though! wtf

skb2706

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: fluted barrels Reply with quote

kentucky hareraiser wrote:
gonna get a barrel for my t/c and it's a 223 rem . what would br the diffrence in stainless fluted barrel and regulsr stainless steel barrel.. which one would be better.. all this encore barrel stuff confuses me

about what $75 .............
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1