HuntingNut
HuntingNut
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsPhoto AlbumsRegister
     
 

User Info

Welcome Anonymous


Membership:
Latest: ombreprom
New Today: 10
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 12610

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 277
BOT: 2
Total: 280
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: slimjim > Home
 Visitors:
01: Forums
02: Forums
03: Forums
04: Your Account
05: Forums
06: Forums
07: Photo Albums
08: Your Account
09: Forums
10: Forums
11: Forums
12: Forums
13: Forums
14: Forums
15: Forums
16: Forums
17: Forums
18: Your Account
19: Forums
20: Forums
21: Forums
22: Forums
23: Forums
24: Forums
25: Forums
26: Forums
27: Forums
28: Forums
29: Forums
30: Forums
31: Forums
32: Forums
33: Forums
34: Forums
35: Forums
36: Home
37: Forums
38: Photo Albums
39: Forums
40: Photo Albums
41: Your Account
42: Forums
43: Forums
44: Your Account
45: Forums
46: Forums
47: Photo Albums
48: Your Account
49: Your Account
50: Forums
51: Forums
52: Forums
53: Forums
54: Photo Albums
55: Your Account
56: Forums
57: Forums
58: Forums
59: Forums
60: Photo Albums
61: Photo Albums
62: Photo Albums
63: Photo Albums
64: Forums
65: Forums
66: Forums
67: Forums
68: Photo Albums
69: Forums
70: Forums
71: Photo Albums
72: Forums
73: Forums
74: Forums
75: Photo Albums
76: Forums
77: Forums
78: Forums
79: Photo Albums
80: Your Account
81: Forums
82: Forums
83: Forums
84: Forums
85: Forums
86: Photo Albums
87: Your Account
88: Forums
89: Forums
90: Forums
91: Forums
92: Forums
93: Forums
94: Forums
95: Forums
96: Forums
97: Forums
98: Home
99: Forums
100: Forums
101: Home
102: Forums
103: Your Account
104: Your Account
105: Forums
106: Forums
107: Photo Albums
108: Forums
109: Photo Albums
110: Forums
111: Forums
112: Forums
113: Forums
114: Forums
115: Forums
116: Forums
117: Forums
118: Forums
119: Forums
120: Photo Albums
121: Forums
122: Forums
123: Forums
124: Forums
125: Your Account
126: Your Account
127: Forums
128: Forums
129: Forums
130: Forums
131: Forums
132: Forums
133: Forums
134: Forums
135: Forums
136: Forums
137: Forums
138: Your Account
139: Forums
140: Forums
141: Forums
142: Your Account
143: Forums
144: Forums
145: Forums
146: Forums
147: Forums
148: Forums
149: Forums
150: Your Account
151: Forums
152: Forums
153: Forums
154: Your Account
155: Forums
156: Forums
157: Your Account
158: Home
159: Forums
160: Forums
161: Forums
162: Forums
163: Forums
164: Forums
165: Forums
166: Photo Albums
167: Forums
168: Forums
169: Forums
170: Forums
171: Forums
172: Forums
173: Forums
174: Forums
175: Forums
176: Forums
177: Forums
178: Photo Albums
179: Your Account
180: Forums
181: Forums
182: Forums
183: Your Account
184: Forums
185: Forums
186: Your Account
187: Forums
188: Forums
189: Forums
190: Your Account
191: Forums
192: Forums
193: Forums
194: Forums
195: Forums
196: Forums
197: Your Account
198: Forums
199: Photo Albums
200: Forums
201: Forums
202: Forums
203: Your Account
204: Forums
205: Forums
206: Your Account
207: Forums
208: Forums
209: Forums
210: Forums
211: Photo Albums
212: Forums
213: Forums
214: Forums
215: Photo Albums
216: Forums
217: Forums
218: Forums
219: Home
220: Forums
221: Forums
222: Forums
223: Your Account
224: Photo Albums
225: Forums
226: Your Account
227: Your Account
228: Forums
229: Your Account
230: Forums
231: Photo Albums
232: Photo Albums
233: Forums
234: Forums
235: Forums
236: Forums
237: Forums
238: Forums
239: Photo Albums
240: Forums
241: Forums
242: Forums
243: Photo Albums
244: Forums
245: Forums
246: Forums
247: Forums
248: Forums
249: Forums
250: Forums
251: Forums
252: Forums
253: Forums
254: Forums
255: Forums
256: Forums
257: Forums
258: Your Account
259: Forums
260: Forums
261: Forums
262: Forums
263: Your Account
264: Forums
265: Photo Albums
266: Forums
267: Forums
268: Forums
269: Forums
270: Forums
271: Forums
272: Home
273: Forums
274: Photo Albums
275: Photo Albums
276: Photo Albums
277: Forums
  BOT:
01: Forums
02: Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
 

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 305
 Pictures: 2361
  · Views: 412432
  · Votes: 1310
  · Comments: 86
 

Support our Advertisers

cal 257 sierra 100gr game king on deer?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
speed swede
Member
Member


Joined: Feb 12, 2007
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: cal 257 sierra 100gr game king on deer? Reply with quote

anyone of you guys use this bullet on deer? it shoots realy good in my 250ack so im planing to use it om roebucks this season! but im not so sure if they explode on hit? what do u guys think?
Back to top
View user's profile
Handloader
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Aug 22, 2005
Posts: 1032
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cal 257 sierra 100gr game king on deer? Reply with quote

GameKing Sierra bullets are designed for game and will certainly do the job on thin skinned, medium sized game. When driven at 250AI velocities, it should be close to ideal.
Back to top
View user's profile
chambered221
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Aug 17, 2007
Posts: 3455
Location: Lost for good !!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: cal 257 sierra 100gr game king on deer? Reply with quote

Explode ??? It’s not a varmint bullet if that’s what you mean.

I’ve never used it but a hunting friend has used them on whitetails for years with great success in a 25-06.

_________________
Ask as many people needed, sooner or later your question will be answered the way you want it answered !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
speed swede
Member
Member


Joined: Feb 12, 2007
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: cal 257 sierra 100gr game king on deer? Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
Explode ??? It’s not a varmint bullet if that’s what you mean.

I’ve never used it but a hunting friend has used them on whitetails for years with great success in a 25-06.
no its not a varmint bullet i know that but i did not find any better word Embarassed ok guys i will test the sierra this year sounds good Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile
fnuser
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Dec 23, 2008
Posts: 914
Location: S.W. Missouri, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: cal 257 sierra 100gr game king on deer? Reply with quote

I've mentioned before that Sierra's are my go to bullets of choice and will probably repeat this till they do something drastic. I've good experience with that ib a 25-06 so they'll definitley perform in your .250Ackley

_________________
N.R.A. Endowment Member
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
moose2
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Mar 19, 2005
Posts: 707
Location: North Idaho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: cal 257 sierra 100gr game king on deer? Reply with quote

The 100 gr. Sierras are used by quite a few folks out here on the prairies in there 25-06's for deer. Haven't really heard of anyone not liking them for deer.

_________________
tr
Back to top
View user's profile
sniper
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Aug 18, 2005
Posts: 735
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: cal 257 sierra 100gr game king on deer? Reply with quote

I had a talk with a tech at Hornady, and he uses 100 gr. for all of his shooting.

I haven't been able to get really gilt-edged accuracy from my 257 Roberts yet, but some loads are nibbling at 1"@100. Laughing

If you overdrive any hunting bullet, it could possibly cause a blow-up if it hit bone. But, at .250 AI, velocities, that is unlikely.

Varmint bullets, the 87 and 75 gr., have light jackets and are designed to rupture on small, light targets. They will blow up, given the wrong . aplication. Speer makes a 100 gr. varminter in .257, which is different in construction that the 1oo gr. hunting bullet.

Almost any 25 caliber hunting bullet will give good performance at 2700-3000 fps. Most factory loads for the 257 Roberts were and are anemic, but expand perfectly and have killed a lot of deer and other beasties with great reliability and regularity, but not at extremely long range. Imo, more than ~250 yards. (Look at the remaining energy figures. Shd be
~1000 ft/lb for deer.)

None of them will bounce off, and if placed properly, will do the job. You have a good caliber. Enjoy Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile
moose2
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Mar 19, 2005
Posts: 707
Location: North Idaho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: cal 257 sierra 100gr game king on deer? Reply with quote

sniper wrote:
I had a talk with a tech at Hornady, and he uses 100 gr. for all of his shooting.

I haven't been able to get really gilt-edged accuracy from my 257 Roberts yet, but some loads are nibbling at 1"@100. Laughing

If you overdrive any hunting bullet, it could possibly cause a blow-up if it hit bone. But, at .250 AI, velocities, that is unlikely.

Varmint bullets, the 87 and 75 gr., have light jackets and are designed to rupture on small, light targets. They will blow up, given the wrong . aplication. Speer makes a 100 gr. varminter in .257, which is different in construction that the 1oo gr. hunting bullet.

Almost any 25 caliber hunting bullet will give good performance at 2700-3000 fps. Most factory loads for the 257 Roberts were and are anemic, but expand perfectly and have killed a lot of deer and other beasties with great reliability and regularity, but not at extremely long range. Imo, more than ~250 yards. (Look at the remaining energy figures. Shd be
~1000 ft/lb for deer.)

None of them will bounce off, and if placed properly, will do the job. You have a good caliber. Enjoy Very Happy

I was never able to get the Hornady bullets to shoot all the well in my Ruger .257 Roberts. I have had very good accuracy from the 110 Accubonds and the 117 gr. Sierra Prohunters though.

_________________
tr
Back to top
View user's profile
sniper
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Aug 18, 2005
Posts: 735
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: cal 257 sierra 100gr game king on deer? Reply with quote

Moose: Your experience with Hornady bullets parallels mine. I can't get them to shoot more than middling well. That's a shame...the 117 gr. SSTs look so sharp with those pointy red noses, too! Very Happy Drat!

My best accuracy comes with: 117 gr Sierra, 120 gr Speer and Nosler Partitions, and with 100 gr. Sierra (notice how often that name keeps popping up?) and Nosler Ballistic Tips.


Sierra (see?) and speer 87gr. too. Maybe a lesson in there somewhere, ya think?

Range trip today, and got a load for my 100 gr. cast bullet and 2400 powder that runs 1" at 100 yds. I tried the Lee collet crimper very lightly on some, and the groups opened up really wide! Shocked But it tightened up the Unique loads back to what they will do with no crimper. Hmmmm...!

It IS a Fine and Pleasant Madness! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile
moose2
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Mar 19, 2005
Posts: 707
Location: North Idaho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: cal 257 sierra 100gr game king on deer? Reply with quote

sniper wrote:
Moose: Your experience with Hornady bullets parallels mine. I can't get them to shoot more than middling well. That's a shame...the 117 gr. SSTs look so sharp with those pointy red noses, too! Very Happy Drat!

My best accuracy comes with: 117 gr Sierra, 120 gr Speer and Nosler Partitions, and with 100 gr. Sierra (notice how often that name keeps popping up?) and Nosler Ballistic Tips.


Sierra (see?) and speer 87gr. too. Maybe a lesson in there somewhere, ya think?

Range trip today, and got a load for my 100 gr. cast bullet and 2400 powder that runs 1" at 100 yds. I tried the Lee collet crimper very lightly on some, and the groups opened up really wide! Shocked But it tightened up the Unique loads back to what they will do with no crimper. Hmmmm...!

It IS a Fine and Pleasant Madness! Very Happy

Ya Sniper, I don't whats up with the SST's. Have relegated them to be used as foulers. But can't complain at all with the Sierras and Noslers. Tried lots of different powders. Best luck has been with H4831. Good luck with those cast bullets. Very Happy

_________________
tr
Back to top
View user's profile
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 1
All times are GMT - 7 Hours



Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Advertisements
 


Valid CSS! Valid HTML 4.01!
Click to check if this page is realy HTML 4.01 compliant for speed :)

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of HuntingNut.com.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2011 by HuntingNut.com
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy

.: Upgraded to DragonFly 9.2 by Dizfunkshunal :.