Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

My latest project. Wood Rifle Case
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

Well I decided to make a wooden rifle carry case. I am approximatly 1/3rd of the way there now, having made the top and bottom but have not attached them nor did the wood fitting for the gun and accessories.

Anyways attached is a picture of a similar case for the L42A1 Sniper rifles which this case is similar in to in a way.

Dimitri

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

So I went from this basic idea in my head:

To this:

Going to add one more compartment I think below the magazine of the rifle but the rifle is a good "tight" fit so it does not shake when the lid is closed. Smile

Dimitri

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

Nice job D.

I'm impressed. Very Happy Very Happy

Eric

NRA Life Member
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

She's alittle heavy though I'll admit that! But thats what happens when you use 1" thick wood (well 3/4" thanks to the mill allowances but close enough). Laughing

Dimitri

1895ss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

You had better install some felt etc cause there will be wear marks on your rifle!!!! What about when that case warps? Otherwise it looks good.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

Looks good 'Mitri....I knew you had another "project" in ya mate. Laughing

Take heed of what 1895ss says mate...protect your rifle. When I made the two boxes...one for my .243 and one for my O/U 12g, I lined them with "eggshell" acoustic foam. Cheap, easy to work with and moulds beautifully to your rifle.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

I will be lining it with felt. Smile

As for the warp in the top of the case. I didn't notice it was that warped till I got home and started to assemble it. By then I decided to just go with it and make it work.

I guess this is the perfect time to buy a planner and finish my wood myself instead of buying the nice "furniture" grade wood from the lumber yard.

Dimitri

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

Doin a fine job D Very Happy looks great.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

D.

Anything that I have ever done in Pine, and that is quite a bit, I knew that I would have warpage somewhere.
This is the characteristic of this type of wood.

Putting a couple of cross pieces on the underside of your top will help a tad, but you will find that when the top is closed and latched for a while, the humidity will help the straighten up the top on it's own.

Eric

NRA Life Member
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

Interesting Eric, well I have it latched closed now and will be leaving it like this for a while at my parents place before I finish the surface so maybe it will give it enough time to warp closed nicely. Smile

Dimitri

gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

IF you use plywood, you will have stronger case with almost zero wrap.
I know plywood are uglier than solids but they are really great for jobs like these.
You could even use thinner materials.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
rescuemedic
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

Dimitri;
You might try buying your lumber well in advance, and letting it finish drying in a stable environment. (6 to 12 months) The lumber mills dont dry their standard grade lumber dry enough for cabinetry. Or try 1/2" 9 ply "Baltic" plywood. Its used for cabinet drawers and is very stable. Its finished on both sides. Just a thought. PS, Very nice job on what you did. RM
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

Medic,

I purposely bought the "pre-dried, cabinet/furniture" wood cause I find it to be much more dry then standard lumber and it was at one point planned giving it a nice starting smooth surface. However from the planning to the store I find they do get a warp to them at times but generally I just clamp everything down with screws to bend things back straight. Nothing is too bad, and no where near as bad as "utility" wood sold for construction purposes. Smile

I made my desk out of plywood to be straight and solid, but did not want to buy a sheet just to not use most of it. Smile

As for your 6 to 12 months in advance buying its a very good tip however I am more of the impulsive wood worker who makes things because he wants to "now" not "later". Laughing

It does get aggravating however buying wood just to find its warped or more warped then you first noticed such as my cases top which I didn't notice at the store it was that bad. Maybe I should start buying over sized wood and letting it dry, would need a healthy supply of wood to keep my impulsive wood working habit fed and would require me to buy a planner. Smile

Dimitri

1895ss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

Dimitri, if it's the same there as here............ it's hard to get straight lumber in the first place. It seems that Canada exports the best lumber and keeps the crap for us to try to make something of! That being said, ya it's hard to get good dry lumber but I have been lucky on some of my projects. Good luck. Smile

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My latest project. Wood Rifle Case Reply with quote

The reason that we get lower quality wood these days, is that the loggers can't cut old growth timber. The environmentalists make sure of that.

Younger trees warp much more that older trees, because of the closer grain.
People who bring up sunken logs from the old log rafts, get premium prices, because many of these logs were virgin timber.

I would suggest Dimitri, to try to coat your case as soon as possible.
This will protect it from the coming humidity of summer.

In some of the cabinet shops that I worked in we had humidifiers to keep wood from drying out.
Oak panels will crack when too dry, and in summer warp.
We had meters to check the wood for this problem.

With pine, there is no winning.
It will move on you, and you can't predict were.
I have seen pine cut from 100 year old barn beams shrink like crazy.
If I hadn't seen it for myself, I wouldn't believe it.

Eric

NRA Life Member
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1