HuntingNut
HuntingNut
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsPhoto AlbumsRegister
     
 

User Info

Welcome Anonymous


Membership:
Latest: indigoer
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 12770

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 91
BOT: 1
Total: 93
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: inthedark > Forums
 Visitors:
01: Home
02: Your Account
03: Home
04: Forums
05: Forums
06: Photo Albums
07: Home
08: Forums
09: Forums
10: Forums
11: Forums
12: Forums
13: Your Account
14: Forums
15: Home
16: Your Account
17: Forums
18: Forums
19: Forums
20: Forums
21: Forums
22: Home
23: News
24: Forums
25: Forums
26: Home
27: Forums
28: Forums
29: Forums
30: Forums
31: Photo Albums
32: Photo Albums
33: Home
34: Forums
35: Forums
36: Forums
37: Forums
38: Forums
39: Forums
40: Forums
41: Photo Albums
42: Forums
43: Home
44: Forums
45: Forums
46: Home
47: Forums
48: Forums
49: Home
50: Forums
51: Forums
52: Forums
53: News
54: Home
55: Home
56: Your Account
57: Forums
58: Forums
59: Forums
60: Home
61: News
62: Home
63: Forums
64: Forums
65: Home
66: Forums
67: Photo Albums
68: Forums
69: Forums
70: Forums
71: Forums
72: Forums
73: Forums
74: Forums
75: Home
76: Forums
77: Home
78: Forums
79: Forums
80: Photo Albums
81: Forums
82: Forums
83: Forums
84: Forums
85: Forums
86: Forums
87: Forums
88: Home
89: Forums
90: Your Account
91: Forums
  BOT:
01: Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
 

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 307
 Pictures: 2390
  · Views: 599727
  · Votes: 1312
  · Comments: 86
 

Support our Advertisers

45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7963
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
..... black powder is completely new to me and Im making it harder by making it myself...

Increase your life insurance policy!

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 8041
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

poked a weighed 45grains B.P. in case,tetrapack spacer,slice of earplug,topped off with 395grn hollow base cast...will see what happens when trigger is pulled. no air space in case...

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
pete4d
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Nov 27, 2011
Posts: 707
Location: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

If we hear from you again, I guess it all worked out . Cheers Laughing

All kidding aside , that should be a good starting load , you may want to stay away from the foam type wad as they may melt in the barrel , try and use some material that will burn,,,,,, just my thoughts on matter. Cheers

_________________
"march to the sound of the guns and shoot everyone not dressed like you"--D I 1968

When the SHTF I'm gonna hunker down until all those idiots kill each other.

I'm on the watch list are you ?
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7963
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

Elvis, are you still there?!?!

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
inthedark
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jan 31, 2011
Posts: 840
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

some of the old timers who shot black powder actually use corn meal or creme of wheat as filler in their cartridges. They keep the loads upright and then load singly at the range.

_________________
Chimo
Ron

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Be Copy now of Men of Grosser Blood and TEACH THEM HOW TO WAR
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
pete4d
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Nov 27, 2011
Posts: 707
Location: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

inthedark wrote:
some of the old timers who shot black powder actually use corn meal or creme of wheat as filler in their cartridges. They keep the loads upright and then load singly at the range.

In some of my deduced loads of the 303 .I use grits ,boy it smells good on every shot......mmmmmm Cheers Popcorn Cheers

_________________
"march to the sound of the guns and shoot everyone not dressed like you"--D I 1968

When the SHTF I'm gonna hunker down until all those idiots kill each other.

I'm on the watch list are you ?
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 8041
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

yip still in one piece...still waiting patiently.

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 8041
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

well it goes bang and big hunk of lead flies out end and puts big holes in things... the 45grn BP load was very mild...sort of like a 2 1/2" .410 load...the 45grns of 2208 on the other hand starts to have a tad of check slap.... we manages to put holes in 8" square we were pointing it towards at 30-40 yards which it all I hoped for at beginning....didnt try to get fancy of shoot a group...might do that later,today was about making sure it was safe and worked...am I happy??? very much so.

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
pete4d
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Nov 27, 2011
Posts: 707
Location: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

. Cheers Sounds good , now you can start working up , the right load . Have a good day . pete

_________________
"march to the sound of the guns and shoot everyone not dressed like you"--D I 1968

When the SHTF I'm gonna hunker down until all those idiots kill each other.

I'm on the watch list are you ?
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
gemihur
Rookie Member
Rookie Member


Joined: Mar 04, 2014
Posts: 15
Location: Ridgelines of the Blue Ridge Mtns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

Do you guys get IMR Trail Boss down there?
It has gained great popularity in the resurgence of Cowboy Action Shooting here in the states.
A very light an fluffy powder designed to be very volumetric. It fills a case and doesn't weigh diddly! I put only 13.0 grains of the stuff in a 45-70 case to fill it and seat a cast 340 gr. bullet from the Lee mold 457-340-F and it shoot like your holding a .410 shotgun!
It is an easy solution to the shoulder punishing outcome that usually results from the use of my 45-70. note: Do not compress Trail Boss... leave room in the brass to accommodate the bullet seating.
Try it, you'll like it!
Back to top
View user's profile
inthedark
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jan 31, 2011
Posts: 840
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

pete4d wrote:
inthedark wrote:
some of the old timers who shot black powder actually use corn meal or creme of wheat as filler in their cartridges. They keep the loads upright and then load singly at the range.

In some of my deduced loads of the 303 .I use grits ,boy it smells good on every shot......mmmmmm Cheers Popcorn Cheers
What I would give to be able to get grits in Canada. None of the stores carry them. You can get ground corn but no grits.

_________________
Chimo
Ron

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Be Copy now of Men of Grosser Blood and TEACH THEM HOW TO WAR
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
English Mike
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jan 08, 2007
Posts: 1460
Location: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

gemihur wrote:
Do you guys get IMR Trail Boss down there?
It has gained great popularity in the resurgence of Cowboy Action Shooting here in the states.
A very light an fluffy powder designed to be very volumetric. It fills a case and doesn't weigh diddly! I put only 13.0 grains of the stuff in a 45-70 case to fill it and seat a cast 340 gr. bullet from the Lee mold 457-340-F and it shoot like your holding a .410 shotgun!
It is an easy solution to the shoulder punishing outcome that usually results from the use of my 45-70. note: Do not compress Trail Boss... leave room in the brass to accommodate the bullet seating.
Try it, you'll like it!

Hmm. Might have to look at that for my .38spl plinking loads. Never been all that happy with 10% filled cases using slower powders.
Back to top
View user's profile
Vince
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 14258
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 45/70 Low Velocity load - anyone have a good one? Reply with quote

English Mike wrote:
gemihur wrote:
Do you guys get IMR Trail Boss down there?
It has gained great popularity in the resurgence of Cowboy Action Shooting here in the states.
A very light an fluffy powder designed to be very volumetric. It fills a case and doesn't weigh diddly! I put only 13.0 grains of the stuff in a 45-70 case to fill it and seat a cast 340 gr. bullet from the Lee mold 457-340-F and it shoot like your holding a .410 shotgun!
It is an easy solution to the shoulder punishing outcome that usually results from the use of my 45-70. note: Do not compress Trail Boss... leave room in the brass to accommodate the bullet seating.
Try it, you'll like it!

Hmm. Might have to look at that for my .38spl plinking loads. Never been all that happy with 10% filled cases using slower powders.

Have a look at Bullseye mate...I used to load 2.8gr or 3 gr in my .357 cases from memory.

_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 6 of 6
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6



Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Advertisements
 


Valid CSS! Valid HTML 4.01!
Click to check if this page is realy HTML 4.01 compliant for speed :)

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of HuntingNut.com.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2011 by HuntingNut.com
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy

.: Upgraded to DragonFly 9.2 by Dizfunkshunal :.