Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

shooting in new rifle
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redneckhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

i just got my rem 700 sps in 25-06. plan on useing it for varmints and deer . what is the best way to break this barrel in and how ?
ive never broken in one right i guess so i wanna do this one right Very Happy
any tips be muchly appreciated Very Happy
bradking1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

Redneckhunter

Here is how I do it...straight from the Shilen barrel site...

Break-in procedures are as diverse as cleaning techniques. Shilen, Inc. introduced a break-in procedure mostly because customers seemed to think that we should have one. By and large, we don't think breaking-in a new barrel is a big deal. All our stainless steel barrels have been hand lapped as part of their production, as well as any chrome moly barrel we install. Hand lapping a barrel polishes the interior of the barrel and eliminates sharp edges or burrs that could cause jacket deformity. This, in fact, is what you are doing when you break-in a new barrel through firing and cleaning.
Here is our standard recommendation: Clean after each shot for the first 5 shots. The remainder of the break-in is to clean every 5 shots for the next 50 shots. During this time, don't just shoot bullets down the barrel during this 50 shot procedure. This is a great time to begin load development. Zero the scope over the first 5 shots, and start shooting for accuracy with 5-shot groups for the next 50 shots. Same thing applies to fire forming cases for improved or wildcat cartridges. Just firing rounds down a barrel to form brass without any regard to their accuracy is a mistake. It is a waste of time and barrel life.

Hope this helps
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

HHMM so Shilen agrees with me .. Best break in is to just shoot the thing and clean it .. Very Happy

A17Shooter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

GroovyJack wrote:
HHMM so Shilen agrees with me .. Best break in is to just shoot the thing and clean it .. Very Happy

Carefull there Groovy. They'll be bringing you up on blasphemy charges.

Handloader

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

redneckhunter: visit the Krieger website for their view on barrel breakin.
It is one of the few sources that explain why breaking in barrels has an advantage. Of course, they are referring to their own barrels which are cut rifled and which have been cryo treated.

When dealing with mass produced button rifled barrels, the benefits of breaking in a barrel may not be too critical. With Remington barrels, I have done some mild hot lapping as bore scopes reveal the torn edges on the rifling as they come from the factory. Until the bore is smoothed out, copper fouling will occur earlier than with a barrel that has been lapped and broken in ala the Krieger method.

My Remington, 220 Swift, was mildly hot lapped and carefully broken in. As a result, I need to clean the bore to remove copper fouling every 100 to 110 rounds, whereas, with other unlapped Remingtons cleaning was requisite every 20 to 30. Powder fouling is seldom a major problem either. On rifles that have Krieger barrels, cleaning is extended usually to the 150 to 200 round point. I have some 22 rimfires that go 2,000 to 3,000 rounds before there is a need to clean the bore.

How often I clean a barrel is related solely to the point at which accuracy deterioration takes place or when the rifle will be in storage for awhile. In fact, it is my opinion that many shooters overclean their barrels and often, in the process, do more damage than good.

IF there is an advantage (the controversy continues), allow that following a breakin procedure at the very least can do no harm.
redneckhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

thanks for the advice guys, what brought this about is ,i have a nef handi rifle i bought new last year,the rifle absolutely hates a clean barrel i know this goes against everything ive ever been taught about guns but when i clean that rifle it takes 9-10 rounds shot through it to get it back to zero ive fired 60-70- rounds through it and it still hates a clean barrel . Shocked
i didnt want that problem with this new rem. as why i was asking this question Smile
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

I've been known to lap a bore before it ever gets fired.....

Other than that, clean it good once before you shoot it and then don't let it get hot.....

Fancy Break In proceedures are mostly myth.............................
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

I agree there now , fancy break in procedures are mostly myths , just shoot n clean , and dont get 'er too hot ..

gelandangan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

Pray ask, why do you want to break the barrel??

Oh.. oh.. you mean break in.. I need new glasses

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

I would have to agree with most of the posts here just shoot it Very Happy .
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
1895ss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

Just shoot it and clean often. There are a variety of methods but they are all opinions. I have broke in many new barrels in different ways and they all shoot great.

redneckhunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

thanks for the advice , dont recken i can go wrong to bad just shooting and cleaning it Very Happy
Deleted_User_2665

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: shooting in new rifle Reply with quote

A good barrel is going to shoot from the git go.....

A bad barrel ain't and easily shows itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1