Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

First Prairie Dog Hunt
By Popular Demand: Discussions related to Varmint Hunting
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuckhunter
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

My friend and I are going on a Prairie Dog hunt in South Dakota, come the end of May.This is our first hunt for these critters. We are taking five rifles. Three for me and two for him. He has a 243Win and a 220 Swift. I'm taking a 22PPC, 220Swift and a 6MM Rem. I'm really cranked. Any suggestions from the experts about what to take along to make the trip more pleasurable would be appreciated.

moose2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

Not knowing what you have planned to take along I'll throw in a couple of things. You should have a good prone bi-pod and mat to lay on. A good day pack to pack your ammo, binocs, rangefinders, water etc. Also bring along a good long sleeved shirt and sunscreen. Always handy to have a leatherman for pulling out cactus etc. Nothings more fun than bushwacking over the hills and setting up over an isolated town. Have a good time.--tr

Flint54

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

Cool Water, water and more water. Then Ice, ice and more ice.

Also you may consider a GI Poncho and a couple of poles & stakes, it makes a great sunscreen so you are in the shade and out of the sun.

Don't forget your ammo and above all make sure that you bring the "BOLTS" for your rifles. They are very important as some here know!! Shocked

Above all bring a First Aid kit and keep any scratches clean, gloves to wear if you consider picking up the PDs as the fleas can carry the plague so be carefull. And make sure you have FUN!!! Cool Razz Cool Razz Cool
shootist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

Ah....the Rosebud....swollen hands and swollen cheek....bring lots of ammo! Sight in the Swift 3" high @ 300 yds.

Where are you located CHUCKHUNTER ?

Shootist
Chuckhunter
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

The Pocono mountains of Northeast Pa.

shootist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

Hi Chuckhunter...how far from Peck's Pond and Rt 402 ?

I'm in the geographic center of Pike county at Hemlock Farms and with a H&F camp at Lackawaxen.

Take some pictures on your May trip.

Shootist
longwalker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

First, check your dates, Prairie dogs can be shot on private land no problem. Public land has some restrictoins.

I didn't see amy 22 long rifles. Long shooting is a real possibility but starting out with some low report rifles will help. Especially when a close in sentry dog starts barking your presence.

longwalker

Hows the fishing on pecks pond these days? I havn't been there for a long time. I used to spend some time at Porters lake back in the 80's.
Chuckhunter
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

I'm only a few miles from Marshall's Creek, used to hunt off of snow hill road in Pike county. I'm about 35 min from pecks pond.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

Flint54 wrote:
8) Water, water and more water. Then Ice, ice and more ice.

Also you may consider a GI Poncho and a couple of poles & stakes, it makes a great sunscreen so you are in the shade and out of the sun.

Don't forget your ammo and above all make sure that you bring the "BOLTS" for your rifles. They are very important as some here know!! Shocked

Above all bring a First Aid kit and keep any scratches clean, gloves to wear if you consider picking up the PDs as the fleas can carry the plague so be carefull. And make sure you have FUN!!! Cool Razz Cool Razz Cool

Gee thanks Flint.....don't rub it in will ya mate. Laughing Very Happy Laughing 'Spose I deserve it though...won't forget 'em again thats for sure. Very Happy Cool

Seriously though, Chuckhunter, take note of all of the above suggestions, especially the shade, sunscreen (I am sick and tired of the Dr cutting chunks of "steak" off me a couple of times a year because of sun damage to my skin) and the water.

I'd find something a little better than a GI Poncho for shade though. My experience is that anything that is nylon and designed to keep water out gets bloody hot in the sun. If there is plenty of undergrowth where you are going make yourself a little hide, two or three sides and a roof, out of the scrub and brush in the local area....much cooler and will also offer you some cover to hide. Other than that take something with you that will shade but not generate heat underneath. Keep the poncho handy for the rain if it comes.

When I go out I take a 71 oz Camelback as well as a 3 litre water (3.2 quarts) bottle and depending on what I am doing also 1 or 2, 2 litre (2.1 quarts) water bottles as well. If you are in the hot midday sun you should have up to 8 litres (8.5 quarts) of water available to remain hydrated.
If you keep the water in the shade it is much easier to drink. Remember, air temp water more readily re-hydrates the body than cold water, and fizzy, sugary, pop type drinks Evil or Very Mad are not a good option at all.

Good luck on your hunt mate. Let us know how you go.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
1895ss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

Chuckhunter, it sounds like a good time. We have some PD's here but they are protected. I know where there are literaly thousands and they are just a bit this side of the Montana, Saskatchewan border. Smile

shootist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

Longwalker... Peck's pond is excellent for pickerel and bass. The biggest
bass was 6lb 3oz. Ice fishing was poor this winter. Porter Lake club still holds a few Senators and Congressmen!!

Chuckhunter....after your trip maybe we can hunt chucks along the Delaware...Maybe we can convince Gil Martin to meet at Marshall's Creek.

Regards,
Shootist
Chuckhunter
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

That would certainly work for me. My little 22 PPC should work out O.K in that area. I'll do some checking during Turkey season, as I usually get into the Park to chase some Gobblers.

Flint54

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

Cool Sorry Vince but I couldn't resist! Cool
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

Flint54 wrote:
8) Sorry Vince but I couldn't resist! Cool

Fair enough mate. Smile Very Happy

While you guys are pickin' on me you are leaving everyone else alone. Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
mikekuzara

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: First Prairie Dog Hunt Reply with quote

Being from Wyoming, let me ask a few things. Are you going to be hiking a fair bit to ge to the towns? Which par of the state are you hunting in?

These will make a difference. Even in May, if you are somewhere around the Black Hills, you can get snow. I have seen 6 inches fall on the 4th of July in the Hills. Even if you are not, be prepared for inclimate weather. Thunder storms can roll in very quickly and if you are on the flat prarie, you could be the tallest thing around for many a mile. Thunder storms out west can bring lightning, heavy rains, hail, winds up to 60 to 70 mph, tornados, or all of the above. If you are going to be be more than a quick jog away from a vehicle you should pack some kind of waterproof clothing.

Secondarily, keep an eye on the weather where you ARE NOT. By this, I mean that you need to keep an eye on the weather "up drainage" from you. Just because it is dry where you are at does not mean that 10 or 20 miles away it is dry as well. Drainage systems out here run for miles and miles. If the head of a drainage or one of it's tributaries gets hit with a 1/2 inch in 1/2 hour storm, you could be in for a flash flood. If you are in a drainage or have to cross one to get out, keep an eye on the "upstream" weather.

If you are not going to be walking far, a portable shooting bench is nice, one guy I know even has a little beach umbrella that fastens to his bench. He found out the hard way that if he was not sitting on the bench as ballast, that the umbrella makes a fine hang glider for the bench in the Wyoming wind.

Set a man on fire and he is warm the rest of his life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting
Page 1 of 2