Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Hodgdon vs IMR
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

The majority of my smokeless reloading is done for rifles. IMR 4198 works well in my 221, 222, 223. Win. 296 for the sometimes finicky 22 Hornet. IMR 3031 for 243, 308, 30-30, 30-06, 270 & 8mm. In big boomer pistols (45 Colt, 44 mag) and 444 Marlin rifle get 2400. For the 38 Special and 357 Mags: mostly Unique, H-110 and/or Blue Dot.

Speaking of powder can changes, I can remember when some powder came in cardboard canisters and the average price was about $4.00 per pound. Now, the "around here" price per pound is about $20.00. Sad
Blaine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

Wow CoyoteHunter, you must be almost as old as me Wink . I remember years ago using IMR3031 in my 22-250 and then changing to IMR4064 to reduce the chamber pressures and increasing my case lives. I was wondering, do you find that the 3031 works best in the 243 and 308 or do you just use it because it is available in your inventory and is satisfactory? I'm just starting to handload for my 243 & 308 (for my T/C Encore handgun) and am in the process of working up some starting loads. After consulting 6 different manuals, I'm so confused about what to start with. I have been looking for some experienced opinions. I want to find some loads that will squeeze all I can (accuracy - wise) from my Encore barrels. Thanks for your input.

Blaine

coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

Blaine,
Baby boomer here… 1955.
Manuals can provide great sources of information but also be quite confusing when trying to choose a powder. I’m sure there are better powders out there than IMR 3031 but after using it for over 30 plus years I‘ve found it to be a good performer. I’ve not conducted a great deal of experimentation with 308 loads, I only shoot one weight bullet. As for the 243, I have tested several different powders and bullets in my three 243 rifles. IMR 3031 works equally well in all of them using bullets from 60 through 100 grains (regardless of bullet brand and type). Very Happy

Chet
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

Howdy Blaine. When i start loading for a new round i always look at how much i can fill the case i want a compressed load or as close as i can get. I will even sacrifice a little velocity for it. (imo) the more identical i can make the load the better. If you fill a bottle half full with sand put a top on it and lay it down it will never flow the same twice if it's compressed it's always the same. I'm sure some people would not agree, it's just my opinion Smile

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

I agree with a fuller case over a more empty one igniting more consistantly, however I've run across a couple of very accurate loads in what I would concider a pretty empty case.

Man I gotta get my reloading room back together soon ... had a water leak and its all torn up. Need to finish some sheetrock, mud it, paint it and get some carpet back down so I can unpack everything again.

-DallanC
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

Howdy. I got four bedrooms and have my reloading eq set up in my master bed room Smile have had it there for years. (LOL) maybe thats why im gettin divorced Rolling Eyes :roll: Rolling Eyes

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
7mmMagnum
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

Pretty much my normal powders:

Reloader #22
Reloader #19
Relaoder #15
IMR #7828
Hodgdon #414
Winchester #760
AA #8700
MagPro
AA #9

calsibley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

All in all I think we're pretty well served by the powder manufacturers. I reload for quite a few different calibers, and if I list my favorite powder for a particular caliber I might have IMR in a couple, Hodgdon in a couple, and there are calibers as well where my top performer is from Reloder or VihtaVouri. When I say top performer I'm referring to the powder that produces my most accurate groups. I guess it's the same with most of us. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
popgun

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

Quote::
I'm glad this topic was posted because I really wasn't certain what I have on hand. I just went down to my reloading room and checked. The results are:

Varget
H870

If you are not using the H870 I could use it in my 264WM. Laughing Can't find any more in the shops since it was discontinued. Confused
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

Well at least I aint the only old poop from the middle 50's .. Shhessh IMR almost exclusively cause it just werks best for me .. I have broke down here recently and dipped in the R15 and R22 ..
Jack

coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

Quote::
Well at least I aint the only old poop from the middle 50's ..

Laughing Wink
moose2

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

I use IMR and Hogdon, you guys seem to all have a store full in your houses, and you are all just pups yet. Very Happy Very Happy

Flint54

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

What a question, it depends on what I'm loading. I'm like a great many reloaders and when it comes to rifle I like to find a load that has a loading density above 90% preferably 95 - 98% at a charge that is slightly below published maximums. This area is where I have usually found my best accuracy and stability.

I also load for a great number of cartridges in my Contenders. This setup will not allow for the use of very slow powders to reach maximum velocity out of 10 - 16.25" barrels so I have to hunt around for a load that will give me the maximum reasonable velocity at the lower pressures required in this firearm along with the best accuracy. Needless to say this Contender is the hardest to load for. From .223 to 45-70 is quite a spectrum.

Then there are the pisto rounds I load for, this all makes for a large selection of powders, not any one manufacturer will give me what I want so I use a few. I'm also in the process of getting rid of some of them as I am finding that many duplicate the accuracy of others.

IMR 3031
IMR 4895
IMR 4350
IMR 4064
IMR 4831
IMR 4198

AA 1680
AA 2230
AA 2460
AA 2520
AA 2015
AA 3100
AA 4350
AA 8700
AA 5
AA 7
AA 9

H BL-C(2)
H 322
H 335
H VARGET
H 4227
H 4350
H 4831
H4831sc

WW 748
WW 760
WW 296
WW 231

ALLIANT

BLUE DOT
HERCO
UNIQUE
RL7
RL15
RL19

VIHATVUORI

N 130
N 133
N 140
N 150

These are the powders that I have on hand at this moment, the quantities are dropping and many will not be replaced as I stated before. Some are even slated for a big burn out in the near future. Confused Confused Wink
calsibley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

Good grief ! In checking out my powder cache I came across several that are no longer being made, like WW231, WW785, Norma 205, several Hercules powders, assorted shotgun powders. I'm told that gun powder makes good fertilizer. This should be a good year in the garden. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
calsibley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hodgdon vs IMR Reply with quote

It's only been fairly recently that Hodgdon has been making their own powders. They always purchased them elsewhere and then had their label applied. I guess that has all changed now, but I don't know for sure. Supposedly they aren't going to discontinue any of the IMR powders now that they own that company. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 3