· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Freedom Arms, Worth It?
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Handloader

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

Beware the man that has but one handgun, or so the saying goes. If I could have but one, it would be the Freedom Arms Model 83 in, what else, 454 Casull. I had to struggle to get mine, in fact, it took the sale of several other handguns to make it happen but once I used the FA there was no looking back.

Some of us collect firearms, but, I accumulate them. There is always some used handgun or rifle looking for a good home and I find more satisfaction with many of these older firearms. At some point, however, the safe begins to bulge with these great guns, their useage is increasingly less and, as important, perspectives can change. At that point, X number of these guns can buy one great firearm. So, back to the FA 83.

I practice with this handgun a lot and after thousands of rounds, many full power, it continues to be as tight as when I got it. Lockup is superb and no endplay is detectable. I like this as I have shot several Model 29s and 57s loose with far fewer rounds. But, it is the accuracy that I prize and I have owned no handgun that equals the big 83.

Shooting gallon milk jugs filled with water @ 100yds offhand has become routine and is confident building. Popping jackrabbits is great practice, too, and as time has progressed, the ratio of kills have increased dramatically.

For me it was a big jump to get the Freedom Arms revolver and time and thousands of rounds have only underscored how superb is this handgun. If any of you are considering FA, you would get an enthusiastic recommendation from me.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

So what you trying to say Handloader? You like the FA or somthing?

Seriously though. I know how you feel. When I got my TC Contender in 30.30 I, like you, fell in love with it. I had it for about 15-20 yrs and it shot every bit as well in the end as it did when I first got it. I loved the power, the recoil and its accuracy. I wish I still had it but the govt here in Australia has made pistol ownership too difficult.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Crackshot

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

I got hooked on DEP's (Desert Eagles) when my Wife got me one for Fathers day 16 years ago, when my oldest Daughter was born, Hooked ever since, have had every caliber they came out with and loved each on its own merrits, The design is not perfect, but who cares, they shoot like a lazer.

george20042007

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

This module should have been entitled...What's your favorite handgun?

All my life there were two things I wanted, but, these items stayed just out of reach for me financially and that was a Corvette & a Freedom Arms model 83. To this day I still have neither, but, am happy with the compromises I made.

I purchased a Jeep Wrangler new as well as a new S&W 460 XVR, the later from where Handloader works. Am I satisfied? You betcha. The Jeep goes without saying, what would a gun enthusiast do with a Corvette anyway? But, the S&W 460? Wow! If all you can have is one handgun for all around hunting, even before a rifle, this gun takes the helm. It shoots the 45 LC, 454 Casull, & the 460, this gun does it all, and better than anything on the market. I'm convinced it will outperform the FA any day. Now, how's that for an endorsement?

By the way, I still want the model 83, but, I no longer want the Corvette. Face it, like everyone else here, I just have to have another one, and I'm not a collector either...
Keep it coming...
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

What does a Handgunner do with a Corvette? Go fast like a magnum bullet man! I had a 1970 Corvette w/427cid 4 speed, 1974 Dodge Charger w/340cid w/ 727 TF 3 speed automatic (neck snapper)
Oh yes, handguners like to go fast too!!!!!!
Got the Corvette for 3500.00, Sold at auction for $25,000.00.
Got the Dodge Charger for $2400.00 traded for a 1999 Honda Goldwing + $700.00 cash.
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

Crackshot wrote:
What does a Handgunner do with a Corvette? Go fast like a magnum bullet man! I had a 1970 Corvette w/427cid 4 speed, 1974 Dodge Charger w/340cid w/ 727 TF 3 speed automatic (neck snapper)
Oh yes, handguners like to go fast too!!!!!!
Got the Corvette for 3500.00, Sold at auction for $25,000.00.
Got the Dodge Charger for $2400.00 traded for a 1999 Honda Goldwing + $700.00 cash.

What does a handgunner do with a Corvette??? What does anybody do with a Corvette....cruise, go fast and enjoy a muscle car. Same as anybody who likes "muscle guns". I liked my S&W 586, especially with solid magnum loads...(more muscle than a 38 Spec!)....and I loved my TC Contender in 30.30, lots of muscle there too.

My dream cars have always been a Dodge Challenger "loaded" with a 426 Hemi and a Porsche 911 Turbo, both have muscle, just different types. The Challenger is my real dream car though. Haven't driven one for years, it was a '72 RT/SE with a 440 Magnum bored and stroked to 511 cubes, I have never forgotten what it was like. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Same as I'll never forget the raw power of a rifle cartridge in a pistol. Damn, I wish I could own another pistol, too hard in Australia with our extremely prohibitive laws!! Mad Mad Mad Mad

Cheers, Vince

george20042007

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

Well it appears that Crackshot & Vince must have grown up in the same era as me cuase they have a fondness for muscle cars like me. But, the topic has to do with the Freedom ARMS MODEL 83. Is it worth it?

That depends. My point was, I have likes & wants, but, there are others that will do for far less money and produce equally if not better performance. With that said, if a FA Model 83 comes along I can get at a great price (or if I have the extra dollars), I'd still buy it. The Corvette I won't. But, if a '64 Plymouth Commando, with it's factory fiberglass front end & equipped with a 426 HEMI happens to be available, I'll see what I can do about buying it!
Keep it coming...
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

george20042007 wrote:
Well it appears that Crackshot & Vince must have grown up in the same era as me cuase they have a fondness for muscle cars like me. But, the topic has to do with the Freedom ARMS MODEL 83. Is it worth it?

That depends. My point was, I have likes & wants, but, there are others that will do for far less money and produce equally if not better performance. With that said, if a FA Model 83 comes along I can get at a great price (or if I have the extra dollars), I'd still buy it. The Corvette I won't. But, if a '64 Plymouth Commando, with it's factory fiberglass front end & equipped with a 426 HEMI happens to be available, I'll see what I can do about buying it!
Keep it coming...

Have never owned a FA revolver, but I have heard nothing but good about them. Beyond that I can't really comment.

As for the Plymouth Commando, how about a Plymouth Ramcharger with the 413 HEMI.....know where there is one of those here in Australia.

Cheers, Vince

george20042007

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
george20042007 wrote:

Keep it coming...

Have never owned a FA revolver, but I have heard nothing but good about them. Beyond that I can't really comment.

As for the Plymouth Commando, how about a Plymouth Ramcharger with the 413 HEMI.....know where there is one of those here in Australia.

Cheers, Vince
Never heard of Plymouth Ramcharger, Did you mean a "Dodge Ramcharger"? I had a 1979 Dodge Ramcharger. It's like the old Bronco or Blazer or like a newer Tahoe. Mine had a 440 ci in it.

As for the FA Model 83, it's everything they claim it to be. Just don't know why it has to be so expensive.
Keep it coming...
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

I agree with George, Why do they have to cost so much? When some Ruger Blackhawks cost 1/3 the price and shoot as well?

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

Crackshot wrote:
I agree with George, Why do they have to cost so much? When some Ruger Blackhawks cost 1/3 the price and shoot as well?

Its my understanding that the FA is hand fitted, its pretty well a custom gun whereas the Ruger is a production line gun. I'd be surprised if the Ruger was as accurate and as good as the FA.

Cheers, Vince

Crackshot

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

You also notice I said "some" Ruger Black Hawks shoot as well.

Handloader

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

Wayne Baker is the owner of Freedom Arms and he is a pleasure to watch when he demos his products and explains why the FA is the finest revolver in the world. Principal among the expense of production is what he terms as "line bored" cylinders.

During the fitting and chambering of the cylinder, a special jig is attached to the front of the frame prior to installation of the barrel. It is a very precision instrument that allows the boring of the cylinder perfectly to the alignment of the barrel. IOW, the cylinder is placed into the frame and the charge holes are drilled one at a time from the jig. The final timing and lockup are then set in a rather old fashioned and laborious manner, one charge hole at a time. This reduces any deviation from charge hole to charge hole as the cylinder revolves and contributes a solid lockup that is less prone to change with useage, even extensive useage with maximum loads. Customers expect consistent accuracy from FA and are willing to pay the dollars to get it.

I've got several Ruger revolvers, mainly Redhawks and Blackhawks in 41, 44 and 45 calibers. They shoot great, but, often only after some rather extensive gunsmithing on the lockup and triggers. The Rugers are well made for the money and extremely strong; I enjoy shooting them regularly. None, however, can equal the accuracy of the FA when shooting at the longer distances.

Much like Harley Davidsons are great entry level motorcycles that can be used to hone riding skills for technically advanced motorcycles, so, too, Rugers are great training grounds . . . . . opps -- never mind.
george20042007

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

I know all about how an FA is made. Even so, it;s priced too high even for how great it is. S&W has put the same effort into the manufacturing of it's 460 XVR for a lot less money. I'll pit the FA model 83 against the S&W 460 XVR & I'm convinced the FA won't out shoot the S&W using the same ammo.
Keep it coming...
Handloader

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Freedom Arms, Worth It? Reply with quote

You may be right, George. It would be an interesting test and the 460 would certainly walk away with the velocity crown. We were firing the 460 in Prescott prior to its release and it was impressive in all regards. I like its versatility in being able to use the 45 Colt and 454 Casull rounds.

If we had a shootoff between the two handguns we would note some differences, however, other than single vs double action. Weight and length, for example. It's my opinion that the FA would be more accurate but it is fact that the FA would last much longer.

The 460XVR tends to burn barrels in about 1,500 rounds of max loads (I know of two that have gone back for rebarrel/rebuild, although, that may not be a fair sample, I admit). At the same time, end shake will be noticeable, although, not too critical. This is academic for most owners as few will put that many full power loads through the handgun in a lifetime, but, for those that do it could be a consideration. S&W is rebarreling for about $100 (from what I have read) plus S&H. OTOH, FAs with 20,000 rounds of max loads haven't hurt the barrels or the frames, but, then, the test between the two for accuracy would only be fair if both used the same cartridge, the 454 which you, George, note in your post, "I'm convinced the FA won't out shoot the S&W using the same ammo." Time will tell if nationally ranked shooters will switch from FA for handgun silhouette to the 460 XVR but, I suspect, not.

The buyer can enter most gunshops and find or readily order up a S&W 460 XVR but far fewer will display the FA (Legendary Guns and Bear Arms have them in the Valley of the Sun) and orders for a new one take around 90 days.

In the ideal world, owning both would be the most fun of all. Smith is to be commended for bringing their X series to market. The 460 is a pleasure to shoot. Who knows? In years to come they may become refined enough to approach the commanding advantages of high quality and accuracy the FA holds. But, I doubt it; afterall, they are still a Smith and Wesson. smiles and winks intended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2