· Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

New Rifle
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aloysius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

Vince, when you aren't allowed to put the bolts in the rifle during transport, what are you supposed to do with such a break-open single shot? Or a lever action? Or a falling block? ...
pete4d

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:
Vince, when you aren't allowed to put the bolts in the rifle during transport, what are you supposed to do with such a break-open single shot? Or a lever action? Or a falling block? ...

"Aloysius" ,,,,, Here in the states we call that an expensive club ,,,guess it would work better than the cops showing up in a couple hours ..... Cheers

When the SHTF I'm gonna hunker down until all those idiots kill each other. up-date

The secret to enjoying life is to never take it too seriously, as you will never make it out alive!

I'm on the watch list are you ?
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:

The general idea is to have a trigger lock fitted and if possible have it in a locked gun case, in the boot of your car with a starving drop bear sitting on it.

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:

Break open singles and shotguns are to be broken down and in a locked case, or as Pete says fitted with trigger locks in a locked case. I have locking cases but no trigger locks.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

you are kidding right?????
Ive heard of such nonsense for hand guns but for long arms too?????

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

Well, a most enjoyable and productive day at the range today...even if it was bloody hot (40+ degrees Celsius).

It appears I have sorted a load for my SMLE Jungle Carbine .303...36.5gr of ADI AR2206H (4895) pushing a Hornady 174gr FMJ at 2121fps. This load shot 3 shot group of 33mm x 27mm at 100m which I am happy with for a first outing, although I think there is more accuracy in it with more load development. I am looking for some Hornady 174gr RN www.hornady.com/bullet...lock-rn#!/ which are supposed to be very accurate in the old SMLE Jungle Carbine.

I also checked zero on two more of my rifles...a Savage in .223 and a Krio .22 Rimfire. I didn’t need to re-zero the Krio, but the Savage needed some “tickling” as can be seen in the attached pics.

The first pic is the .22 at 50m. The second pic is the .22 at 100m. The RED centre circle is 50mm (2”) and the first BLACK ring is 25mm thick (total 100mm). I’m happy with that accuracy for bunny busting.

I re-zeroed the Savage at 100m and the third pic explains what I did to bring it onto target. I started out trying some 50gr Sierra SP, then tried some 50gr TNT HP and then some 55gr Hornady VMax (my chosen bullet). These three different bullets resulted in the mess at the top of the third target pic. I settled on the VMax load and decided to zero the rifle to those. I made a bold adjustment of 20 clicks down and fired a 3 shot group (the lowest group on the target), then made a further adjustment to bring it up, then fired another 3 shot group (the group in the centre of the target). I’m rather happy with the final group, in both placement and size...5mm x 10mm at 100m.

The larger 3 shot group, in the third pic, at 6 o’clock is the .303 group I have settled on (for the moment). I may decide to revisit this load a little bit down the track with a view to refining it, but not until I can find a box of the Hornady 174gr RN...unfortunately they are rather hard to find.

3d374dd0-90f7-40cf-9bb4-0a65fda0b42c.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.06 KB
 Viewed:  2586 Time(s)

3d374dd0-90f7-40cf-9bb4-0a65fda0b42c.jpeg

21811956-8367-444f-af10-b593e3a648ef.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.29 KB
 Viewed:  2586 Time(s)

21811956-8367-444f-af10-b593e3a648ef.jpeg

45281361-4774-4cd1-9b55-1be0f669926e.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.33 KB
 Viewed:  2587 Time(s)

45281361-4774-4cd1-9b55-1be0f669926e.jpeg

Aloysius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

Vince, just for your info: somewhere I've read that the L.E. .303 Br couldn't win matches at 100 or 200 m because the bullet only stabilized at 300 m (or more)...
pete4d

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Well, a most enjoyable and productive day at the range today...even if it was bloody hot (40+ degrees Celsius).

It appears I have sorted a load for my SMLE Jungle Carbine .303...36.5gr of ADI AR2206H (4895) pushing a Hornady 174gr FMJ at 2121fps. This load shot 3 shot group of 33mm x 27mm at 100m which I am happy with for a first outing, although I think there is more accuracy in it with more load development. .

Vince , that some fine shooting there ,,,
Quote::
It appears I have sorted a load for my SMLE Jungle Carbine .303...36.5gr of ADI AR2206H (4895) pushing a Hornady 174gr FMJ at 2121fps. This load shot 3 shot group of 33mm(1-1/3") x 27mm(1-1/16") at 100m which I am happy with for a first outing,
Cheers

When the SHTF I'm gonna hunker down until all those idiots kill each other. up-date

The secret to enjoying life is to never take it too seriously, as you will never make it out alive!

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

Vince, can we ship bullets from the US to there reasonably? Midway has the Hornady RN for $30 US/box.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

Vince,
Greenbank or Ripley range?

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

dhc4ever wrote:
Vince,
Greenbank or Ripley range?

Ripley Pete. It wasn’t anywhere near as busy as I expected given it was a public holiday at the end of school holidays. The only disruptions we had was a Pretty Faced Wallaby decided to visit the firing point a couple of times, stopping about 3m in front of the shooters and checking us all out. There was no fear whatsoever...it even hopped around behind the firing point to feed on what little grass there is available.

Punkin, I’m sure that you can, but it is not cost effective mate. The cost of shipping from the US to OZ is as dear as poison, especially from the East Coast, mainly because of the weight. We have an importer in Melbourne, south of me, so I’ll probably order a box through them mate so I can give them a go.

RePete...thanks mate, I must admit I was pleasantly surprised and pretty chuffed myself. Also, this was with the factory fitted peep sight, not a scope.

Aloys...all holes in my target were nice and round and showed no signs of instability mate. This may well be because they were reloads, although I didn’t see any problems with the PPU factory loads either mate. Either way, I’m happy with both the loads and the rifle.

Elvis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

speer projectiles being nice n soft should go well if you can find them...and rare as hens teeth or unicorn turds are TAIPAN an ozzie brand...they are worth weight in gold if you can find them...super super soft so awesome in old worn bores.
that respectable shooting with iron sights.

Aloysius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

Vince, that was not what I was trying to say. During flight a bullet is twisting around its axis, but it's also spinning around its imaginary line of flight and this spinning will become less at larger distances. It's said that it takes about 300 m before this secondary spinning is reduced to zero with a Lee Enfield. So behind 300 m its death on its imaginary line of flight, but at shorter distances it's not yet stabilized and the bullet may vary in all directions (not for inches, but enough to lose a match).
In other words: the bullet will fly in a spiral around its imaginary line of flight for a few hunderds of meters before this spiral is gone with a L.E.
It's enough to make the difference between winning or losing a match, but not enough to explain why you mist a walaby Smile
pete4d

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:
Vince, that was not what I was trying to say. During flight a bullet is twisting around its axis, but it's also spinning around its imaginary line of flight and this spinning will become less at larger distances. It's said that it takes about 300 m before this secondary spinning is reduced to zero with a Lee Enfield. So behind 300 m its death on its imaginary line of flight, but at shorter distances it's not yet stabilized and the bullet may vary in all directions (not for inches, but enough to lose a match).
In other words: the bullet will fly in a spiral around its imaginary line of flight for a few hunderds of meters before this spiral is gone with a L.E.
It's enough to make the difference between winning or losing a match, but not enough to explain why you mist a walaby Smile

"Aloysius" ,,I agree ,,,That's the way I've understood the flight of the bullet in all calibers ... From what I've read and used the flat based bullets in a Lee Enfields two grooved barrel give more bearing surface and stabilizes the bullet sooner. Cheers

Vince ,,, On your first group , was it on a clean bore or maybe the larger group was a fouling shot ? Scratch

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rifle Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:

Ahh...right, I understand what you were saying now mate. I can’t say I’ve heard that before, but then again I haven’t really researched the .303 as a target match rifle. I might try it at 300m...if I can see that far using the factory sights. No problems with missing a wallaby mate...I won’t shoot them because they are a native animal.

pete4d...my first group was with a cold clean barrel and was more to confirm POI for the three different loads than anything. It was only after I saw where they were shooting I decided to re-zero my preferred load and bullet to be spot-on at 100m. I know the other two loads will shoot to a similar POI, but I will use them for plinking until they are all gone, then stick to the 55gr Hornady VMax.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 3 of 8