Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Looked over your cell phone lately?
Discussions run-amok, innane banter it all goes here
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Looked over your cell phone lately? Reply with quote

One of my siblings pointed out to me yesterday that her cell phone had an interesting addition to it. She didn't ask for it, it just showed up one day. On your Android phone, if you hit 'settings', then go to 'emergency alerts' you'll notice (top of the list on mine) Show extreme threats, then Show severe threats, then Amber alerts and so on. At the bottom of the list is Show opt-out dialog and under that heading it says Show an opt-out dialog after displaying the first CMAS alert (other than Presidential Alert).

I guess I'm supposed to wear my phone like some people do. Employers don't like that but if the president is going to warn me about something then how will I know? Gosh it could be important....they could release some soldiers from Texas to raid Arizona or something....

Kinda bugs me that the president found a way to contact us via phone message. If you go to the FCC website there is an explanation about the emergency alerts which states that the FCC along with FEMA have put this together in order alert us of imminent threats in our area to enhance public safety. Wireless companies volunteer to do this.

Copy and pasted from the site;
What alerts will WEA deliver?

Alerts from WEA cover only critical emergency situations. Consumers will receive only three types of alerts:

Alerts issued by the President
Alerts involving imminent threats to safety or life
Amber Alerts
Participating carriers may allow subscribers to block all but Presidential alerts.
A WEA alert will be accompanied by a unique attention signal and vibration, which is particularly helpful to people with hearing or vision-related disabilities.

Anyway you can read the rest of it on the website although it's as bland as you would expect a government scheme to be. The president will probably send me a virus next...So I was un-aware of this little intrusion and maybe you weren't, but it seems to me there's something other than ice cream in my bowl and no great discussion about the merits.

If I get an alert about some threat level am I supposed to be on edge every day and scared? It reminds me of some sort of organized religion where we need to fear the (God) Government lest we behave the wrong way. They need to be put in their place (not us) and should fear the wrath we may bestow them when they misbehave, after all we're in charge....aren't we?

Actually we should have a presidential emergency warning service for the president. We could tell him about all those things he denies knowing about and warn him of the dangers of being so acquainted with known (presidential appointed) criminals. I think it's time we were in charge of our government.

Suz

Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looked over your cell phone lately? Reply with quote

eeeeuwww a virus from the president!!!!!!!!!!!
hadnt he heard of prophylactics????

gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Looked over your cell phone lately? Reply with quote

Clinton fed it right to the mouth too.
Not sure what Hil would do..

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Looked over your cell phone lately? Reply with quote

Suz, I can see a bit of good and a bit of bad in that idea.

People these days can't live without their phone or tablet, and it is a sure way to reach the masses when there is a legitimate need to inform the populace of a developing problem.

Having said that, I can see that this is only one small step away from Big Brother having a permanent finger on each and everyone's "pulse" and knowing exactly where they have been, where they are and maybe even where they are going. It would also be easy for them to hack into any electronic device with a SIM card and become a silent third party to each and every contact you have, either voice or text.

gelandangan wrote:
Clinton fed it right to the mouth too.
Not sure what Hil would do..

Haha Haha Haha Haha

From little bits and pieces I've seen, it appears Billary isn't necessarily interested in male interns. Maybe she might rehire Monica. Confused Shocked

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Looked over your cell phone lately? Reply with quote

What did we ever do without a cell phone? How did we ever survive all these years?

Still don't turn mine on very often. Found that it does help hide my concealed weapon though...

I just turned mine on...Nope...Guess my "flipphone" is just too old. Guess the president will just have to knock on my door.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
BigBlue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looked over your cell phone lately? Reply with quote

It's just there so they can let you know where to report for re-education camp.
lesterg3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Looked over your cell phone lately? Reply with quote

Don't have one, and guess what I get along just fine. Had one for years, in fact had one of the first 6 pound Motorola's that came out, my boss wanted to be able to reach me wherever I was.

It's been three years now and I don't miss it a bit. When I want to speak to someone I go see them. I see their face when I talk to them, and we actually have something to talk about. Because they don't call me every time they fart everyday.

Communication is great, but today's cellphone, I-whatevers, apps coming out your a$$ is BS. As far as I am concerned they are as bad as meth, cocaine, or heroin. Further, I don't pay all the hidden charges and taxes.

And yet, I survive. When we have family get togethers they either turn them off, or if they ring they have to give the nasty little thing to me. I love bashing them with a 3 pound sledge.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
PaulS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Looked over your cell phone lately? Reply with quote

Just another reason not to have a cell phone in my book. Even when they are off they can be used to track you. I'll just hang on to the phone I have that plugs into the wall. I had to get rid of the one with a dial - every darn thing in the world is run by buttons now days.

First they made me give up the crank for a dial, then they took the party lines away and then they took the dial away and replaced it with buttons. I won't get a cell phone even if I have to give up the one I have.

(I still have my CB radio....)

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
MacD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Looked over your cell phone lately? Reply with quote

Public alerting systems have been around since the days of WW2. The way many people communicate has changed. Having been involved in reviewing public alerting options I think the move to add cellular phones is a good one.

Elvis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Looked over your cell phone lately? Reply with quote

if you think about it they have always had ability to do it via the telecommunication companies..... here in NZ telecom/spark and vodaphone/2 degrees are the 2 networks only have to send block txt to ALL of there numbers and the ringing would be deafening..add in landlines with prerecorded message and windows would break.

Suzanne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Looked over your cell phone lately? Reply with quote

It's funny when I first saw the word "threats" I wasn't thinking of hurricanes, fires, tornadoes, I was thinking of terrorist threats. I've never lived in an area where I'm ever in any danger of catastrophic disaster and so I just thought it was the president's way of keeping us alarmed, making him our heroic savior. Always vigilant and at the ready, prepared to take on the worst.

Then I thought naw...he couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag, why would he want to tell us up-front about his newest battle. It's about climate change not national threats and the president has proven his courage. A real stand-up guy. It's a real favor for him to tell us after-the-fact information and he can then organize all he wants. Leaving a legacy of "I didn't know about until I read it in the newspaper just like you folks", is true leadership. So now his latency can be blamed on the phone system, the power grid, the media, climate change, polar bear extinctions.

His newest thing is to convince the Pope of global warming and get those Christians moving on picken up the trash around here. If the Pope says it, it must be true. Putin is laughing his cheeks raw just thinking about the possibilities. China too for that matter, but we're gettin back at China cause they're hacking the wide-open government system like nobody's lookin. I think we told them "stop it" or something....

Suz

Suzanne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Looked over your cell phone lately? Reply with quote

Here's a clip from a movie that explains my feelings about the Disney-like fantasy land Obama's speaches portray; Billy Madison

no applause
needed
Suz

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama
Page 1 of 1