Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Decent source for 5.56 brass?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Decent source for 5.56 brass? Reply with quote

Whats the fair going rate for 1k once fired 5.56 brass? Any good sources to deal with? I would like a bunch to work on during those rainy days.

-DallanC
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent source for 5.56 brass? Reply with quote

If you dont want to bother working on it...Check out Mountaineer Brass. I have bought about 4000 pcs of match prepped once fired Lake City from them and it is the best stuff I have ever used. Dick uses Stainless steel cleaning media and the brass looks better than new. Sized to SAAMI trimmed to length, primer pockets swaged, flash holes deburred.

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent source for 5.56 brass? Reply with quote

Checked Midway? They have it in stock off and on.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Decent source for 5.56 brass? Reply with quote

I agree on the Lake City brass for value. That's pretty much all I use since I bought several thousand pieces many years ago. Mine was advertised as Lake City "Match" and is not only very consistent in weight from case to case, but is also very tough.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
radar

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent source for 5.56 brass? Reply with quote

Dallan,
Try your local law enforcement guys, if they're doing practice they usually don't keep the brass, in NZ I take all the 9mm and 5.56 brass whenever I'm out at the range and give it to a mate. I get to use his progressive loader for my 223 and he gets a shit load of brass twice a year at no cost. Win win.

George Orwell
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent source for 5.56 brass? Reply with quote

Same as Radar says. Our Police collect their once fired brass because it's messy to leave it behind. I'm sure that it wouldn't be an issue to get a hold of some, even if you have to buy it from them...or do a swap for a carton of beer.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Loke

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent source for 5.56 brass? Reply with quote

Gunnies.

Donut Slayer

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Decent source for 5.56 brass? Reply with quote

Before I retired I got all the 40 cal and 223 brass I wanted. Just went to the 55 gallon drum and got a bucket full.

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Decent source for 5.56 brass? Reply with quote

Doug Estes in Missouri is selling once fired for between $100-125/1000 un processed depending on if you want it sorted with matching years in the head stamp.

He has fully processed match prepped brass too for about $185/1000. if you sit down to size and trim 1000 pc. - that extra 0.06 per case is worth it to me. Brass comes fully sized to saami 0.0, trimed to 1.750" primer crimp removed, flash hole de-burred and polished inside and out with Stainless steel pin media to a brilliant shine.

I just prime them and keep them in 100 ct boxes and load up when I am ready to shoot, drop powder seat bullet = Go.

Contact Doug at bravobrass223 @ yahoo.com

OldSchoolRanger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Decent source for 5.56 brass? Reply with quote

DallanC - If your still looking for 5.56/223 brass, drop me a line. There's a a guy at my local gun club, that has quite a bit. It's mixed commercial and military, mostly once fired range pickup condition. I'll check on the pricing if you want. Should be a lot cheaper than what the commercial guys sell it for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 1