Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Rabbit hunting at night question
Small Game hunting related discussion
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabbittrapper
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

I am going to hunt rabbits next weekend at night. Its legal in Wi. Ill be using a daisy powerline 880 and a spot light. Any tips on hunting them at night?
Aloysius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

rabbittrapper wrote:
I am going to hunt rabbits next weekend at night. Its legal in Wi. Ill be using a daisy powerline 880 and a spot light. Any tips on hunting them at night?
don't shine them in the eyes (unless you are using a green laser) and shoot them behind the eyes under the ears.
What caliber is that Daisy?
And you don't need lots of power, just place your shot behind the eye under the ear and a 12 fpe .177 caliber will keep them nailed at the spot. But I have to admit that I feel more comfortable using a .22 caliber at about 30 fpe.

What kind of scope are you using? I like a 8x with mildots most, but I have to use it on 4x most of the time to get more light and a clearer view.

And it's very difficult to guess distances in the dark. So I zero my optics at about 40 yards so that I'm spot on from about 20 yards till 45.

And pick them up as soon as possible. Some seem to have several lives or are very good in playing death...

But it's great fun.
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

your spotlight will probably have a dim light surrounding the intense spot...keep them in the Dim when your about to shoot they seem to settle as think you looking elsewhere.
no moon nights are best as you can DAZZLE them with the light..sort of temporary blindness..but be quick it doesnt last for long.
welcome aboard and good luck.

slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

Wow, out to 40 yards. Doesn't sound like a very bright spot-light is needed to hunt rabbits at that range. I've got an LED red spot-light that I had no problems shooting at hogs out to 150+ yards. I use my noise cancelling ear voice with the volume turned up to hear them come in then spot them with the light mounted on-top of my scope. A sweet set-up.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
rabbittrapper
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:
rabbittrapper wrote:
don't shine them in the eyes (unless you are using a green laser) and shoot them behind the eyes under the ears.
What caliber is that Daisy?
And you don't need lots of power, just place your shot behind the eye under the ear and a 12 fpe .177 caliber will keep them nailed at the spot. But I have to admit that I feel more comfortable using a .22 caliber at about 30 fpe.

What kind of scope are you using? I like a 8x with mildots most, but I have to use it on 4x most of the time to get more light and a clearer view.

And it's very difficult to guess distances in the dark. So I zero my optics at about 40 yards so that I'm spot on from about 20 yards till 45.

And pick them up as soon as possible. Some seem to have several lives or are very good in playing death...

But it's great fun.
Its a .177 caliber.I'll be using a 4x15 scope.
slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

Ok, I've popped 3 squirrels in the head and or chest with my .177 at 25 yards or less and it looks like all it gives them is a headache (very accurate). Are rabbits easier? The squirrel I shot this afternoon, dropped with the first shot to the head. I got some plastic bags and put my work gloves on to go out in the back yard to pick him up before the dogs got to him. A I reached down, one eye opened up and started looking around. when back to get the air rifle and he was sitting up. Popped him again in the head again, wobbling, falling then scampered off. Popped his partner a few minutes later. Same affect, left that one with a headache also. At least they are getting the message. Maybe have to start looking for a .22 air rifle.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

I use a 750,000 candlepower spot light and a .22 rimfire when spotting rabbits at night. This light will hold rabbits well beyond the effective range if the rifle.

Aloys is the air rifle expert where rabbit hunting is concerned, so heed his advice...it is good and gained from experience.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

look at your pellet weight Slimjim...heavier and slower may be more effective.

Aloysius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

or shot-placement... there is a big difference between "in the head" and "behind the eye under the ear". For rabbits this difference is jumping about 1 m (or yard) high and then run for the hidings and the second shot mentioned just make them fall at their side even without kicking or jumping.

When the distance is below 25 yards you can try flat pointed pellets. They will give bigger effect on impact. When you want to shoot at bigger distances (and hit what you're aiming for), test the round headed. Heavy when your rifle gives lot of energy, light when not.

@SJ: it's easier to shoot a fox, a crow or a pig at 100 yards then a rabbit at 5 yards because the rabbits will know the danger and will pull some tricks (when it has not been eating some mari-U-anus plants or sniff some speedy stuff...)

By the way: when you're using a 4x15 scope you should have very good eyes and even then I think you're not going to use that scope very often at night... it's very difficult to hit what you don't see...
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

I'm using flat out pellets with red plastic tips. I have lighter pellets that are as accurate but they are supersonic and sound like a 22LR.

rabbittrapper
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

Another question is do I sit by the rabbit trail and wait for them?
Aloysius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

rabbittrapper wrote:
Another question is do I sit by the rabbit trail and wait for them?

can you whistle like a carrot? Smile

I don't know what's allowed or not in your country, nor do I know your environment nor your rabbits + how often are they being hunted?

Sometimes it's fun to sit on a high seat, but then don't expect to shoot more than 2 or 3 rabbits in 1 evening. Sometimes it's OK to sneek arround and try to spot them before they see you. What I like best is drive around by car. It's easier to come close by car than on feeth. We are a team of 3: 1 driving the car, 1 with a beam searching the right side (and playing retriever) and me in the back with the airrifle, also searching the left side. Some fields I do on footh in the dark, just trying to shoot eyes. So it all depends on the situation.
But don't worry: when you're having fun you will learn real fast.
On the other hand I can understand that when there are also snakes in the fields, walking arround in the dark to search for rabbits could add some extra worries.
Just another tip: when it rains, go and have a look about 0,5 till 1 hour after it has stopped.

And sorry, but now I have googled your airrifle and I have to admit that I was a little bit disappointed. I shouldn't give you wrong ideas because you'll need good skills to get these rabbits. You airrifle with scope costs less than a spare magazine for mine... So it's not going to be easy, but on the other hand you have to use what you can get and obtaining good results with lesser equipment makes you a better hunter. Don't forget this!
And I would recommend to test your airrifle and different pellets to discover at what distance you still can shoot a good groupe (at least < 0.5")

Last edited by Aloysius on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
rabbittrapper
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

I am the only one that hunts them.
Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
I'm using flat out pellets with red plastic tips. I have lighter pellets that are as accurate but they are supersonic and sound like a 22LR.
I believe that there is your problem...pinch some of the old school wasted air rifle pellets of the kid next door and try them out.$15nz for 500 of...nothing to loose if your rifle groups with them as they should hit heaps harder.

slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit hunting at night question Reply with quote

So the pointed plastic is softening the blow? LOL, I'll check and see what other ones I can get a good group on then try them. You are right, Elvis, I have nothing to loose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting
Page 1 of 2