A great day at the range today.
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: A great day at the range today. Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 pm
    ----
For the first time in a long time I went to the range to do a bit of shooting at targets. I have been feeling pretty good of late and been working to regain lost strength but I had no idea how out of practice I was.

We set out targets at 13 yards and began shooting. I tried the 22 rimfire first. A Ruger model 1 semiauto and shot a miserable group about the size of a tennis ball. This gun and I used to shoot dime size groups at 25 yards. I also noticed that I could not clearly see the target and my front sight at the same time and I had trouble keeping the front blade from resting against the right side of the rear sight. I worked a bit on it and then fired my 357 with some wadcutter loads. I had the same problem with both the sight and the target so I switched to a smaller bullseye. I went from the six inch bull to a two inch bull and the groups shrunk to about 1.25". OK, That is better but not real good yet - I still have a lot of work ahead of me but it shows some promise. Then I took out some +P 38 special loads and fired at another 2" bull with a tad better group size - I have to work on the sight picture to get it right. If not for the two rounds to the right of center I would have had a 1/2" left right spread in that group - as it was it was about 1.25".
Then I took out the "BIG GUN" - a Thomson Contender in 357MAXIMUM. It has a scope (2.5X) and it lets me see my target and where I am aiming - but I need to build up my shooting arm - A LOT! I was all over the bull - unable to hold it steady and still shot a group that was right at one inch. I have to admit that this gun is capable of shooting those groups at 50 yards and I used to be able to do it too.
All together it was a great day. I didn't injure my back while shooting and I can see progress from the last time I attempted to shoot. I am excited and off to start building my strengths and get my sight picture back. I also need to get some loads together for the long guns and start on them too.
Have a great day all!

#2: Re: A great day at the range today. Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:02 am
    ----
PaulS, glad you were able to shake the cobwebs out and get some recoil therapy.

#3: Re: A great day at the range today. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:52 am
    ----
Well done Paul...as Slim said, good to shake the cobwebs out mate.

Your problem with seeing the sights and the target sounds horribly like the way my eyes went when I found I needed reading glasses. Put some thought into a Merit Adjustable Peep Sight that you attach to your glasses.

Peep Sighting Systems

#4: Re: A great day at the range today. Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:28 pm
    ----
Paul..... Good to hear you had a positive day at the range !!!

#5: Re: A great day at the range today. Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:35 pm
    ----
It still feels good today so I am going to have to get my garage and shop built so I can have a space to reload again.
I used to have a pair of sunglasses that I had blacked out the left side to reduce the strain of keeping one eye closed during long competitions. I bet I could make something that would work like that peep sight for your glasses for a lot less than 70 dollars. Thanks for the idea Vince!

#6: Re: A great day at the range today. Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:23 pm
    ----
Good job Paul. Welcome back! Very Happy

I shopped around and got my Merrit device for 40$. It's handy for iron sights cuz I'm blind as a bat. Replaced the cardboard pinhole device I was using with paper-clips et al. There's lots of options for that. Some fixed one's too for gallery shooters. Check out Champion's shooter supply for some ideas.

#7: Re: A great day at the range today. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:09 am
    ----
PaulS wrote:
...Thanks for the idea Vince!

My pleasure entirely Paul. Just wish I had known about these when things went south with my eyes. Too late now I reckon.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions