How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,,
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: 10spotterminatorLocation: Redmond, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:21 am
    ----
As of my writing this details are coming from another school shooting. This time not a college or high school but an elementary school in Newtown Connecticut. My eyes are blurred with tears as I write this ,,,,

I am ever so grateful that my boys were raised with decent morals that would deter them from even thinking of doing something like this. I am not a deeply religious man but right now I am praying for all those involved in this senseless act of violence. I can only begin to imagine what those kids as well as the parents and the school staff personell are going through. Once among a small group of friends the question came up " If you could have one wish in life, what would it be" ? I pondered only a second or two and said " Not to have to bury my kids ". Things got really quiet and those who had wished for matierial things all agreed that was the most important thing.

I would ask this of all who read this. If you even REMOTELY think someone you know of , be they friends or family, aqquaintances or strangers you observe is having difficulties coping with life and is even POSSIBLY capable of harming themselves or others PLEASE tell somebody. I could not live with myself knowing that I may have been able to prevent something like this from happening and chose to ignore the warning signs . Could you ???

10 Spot.

#2: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:28 pm
    ----
Dam they are saying so far 26 people killed and 18 were children.

www.usatoday.com/story...t/1769367/

#3: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: 10spotterminatorLocation: Redmond, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:28 pm
    ----
I shudder to think that maybe these are the ZOMBIES that everyone has been refering to. When they wander around looking for brains its because they dont have any of there own ... Mad

#4: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:41 pm
    ----
The reality is that we can't stop the actions of lunatics. We can only try to be prepared to deal with them. Creating "defenseless victim zones" sure isn't working.

#5: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:08 pm
    ----
Pumpkinslinger wrote:
The reality is that we can't stop the actions of lunatics. We can only try to be prepared to deal with them. Creating "defenseless victim zones" sure isn't working.

Pumpkinslinger, politicians dont think like normal people, have a good look at what happened in Australia after the Port Arther shootings.

Watch for the next round of political attacks on your 2nd amendment.

So now we have some munter blowing a family argument out of all proportion, and of course the media and politicians will blame the guns.

I dont have an answer for these random acts of violence, but there has to be a reason people feel the need to escalate any disagreement into this sort of thing.

#6: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:26 pm
    ----
Terrible situation... really sad it happened to kids so young, so close to Christmas. Really at a loss of words to describe how sad this is.

Thoughts and prayers for the familys of everyone involved.

-DallanC

#7: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:39 pm
    ----
The only defence against an armed lunatic is someone else with a gun.

Sadly i think this tragedy will be used to make armed, law abiding citizens less common, rather than more so.

Why can't these nutters just blow their own brains out?

#8: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:15 pm
    ----
I am sad for these things to happen.
I feel sorry for the family and friends of the victims

I am also sad that these again are clocked as the fault of guns instead of the madman behind the gun.
I am in opinion that if someone there have a gun then s/he could prevent the high number of soft victims.

#9: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:47 pm
    ----
I do not believe were coming out of this one without something changing. I may be wrong but think this one's gonna clobber us law abiding citizens.

Quote: Jeff Synder.
"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow.

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding".

Thoughts and prayers for the families.

#10: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:27 pm
    ----
I saw Obama's speach today (around noon my time) and he was visibly moved and upset. He did imply something was down the pike but it was the reporters before and after the speech that hammered home the gun ban ideas. They layed it on thick too.

All politics aside, it was horrendous and devistating. Young children lost forever, young parents and the innocent people that had to witness and forever envision the aftermath.

Just like a crack-head, if they want into your house to steal, they'll find a way. It doesn't matter how many locks you put on your doors and windows, they'll find a way. It doesn't matter that he legally bought guns or illegally bought guns, what matters is what he did with them. He also shot other people in other places, he was on a mission to kill. It doesn't matter if the school didn't have a security system or a front desk check-in or a guard house, what matters is he did what he did. He's to blame, not the gun the gun seller the security system. People that are bent that way are going to follow their bent mind and do what they want to do. Nobody can forecast what a deranged mind is going to come up with. If guns are illegal, banned, not even on earth, he'll find a way to do his deed. He's to blame, not the car he used to get there or the coffee he had that morning or the weather, or his dog, or his tennis shoes. He was in charge of what he did. IF he used any other means the result would be the same. Except for the fact that guns were used and this administration doesn't like them.

#11: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:12 pm
    ----
that is a terrible tragady. hold onto your hats I feel the ride may get bumpy for you lot aswell, as it did for us.

#12: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:07 pm
    ----
wtf AFAIC-Obamas tears were totally fake!He will ride this as he has many other tradgedies for his benefit!I wish for the families of the victoms-Gods kindness and healing to help them thru this terrible time.
For the many celebrity types that jumped on the anti gun bandwagon-I wish much unemployment and many bad reviews.

I am more of a practical sort-some can call it negativity-I don't care!I look at things in the realistic perspective and how to correct problems,or(troubles)as my web name implies.In my narrow minded belief-the only way that we will correct these types of situations is to do away with the "gun free zones"and to train and arm "competant' citizens to use deadly force in these types of situations.The police can never respond quick enough and are already overloaded with calls.I have read where some a$$hat news media types stated that all of the students at that school should have been armed(as a form of humor)I see no humor in that and those media types should be flogged or dragged for 10 miles behind a team of horses for those statements.Maybe they would actually learn something from that lesson.And the polititions that are building a platform from this tradgedy-what Mark Twain said about lawyers-applies to these polititions!!! Mad

#13: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:22 pm
    ----
3 or 4 well trained teachers per school with concealed carry would tend to sort it quicker but it is still ambulance at bottom of the cliff.
a nut job is still a nut job unfortunately for us all they choose to use tools wrongly.

#14: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:49 am
    ----
Suz wrote:
...He was in charge of what he did. IF he used any other means the result would be the same. Except for the fact that guns were used and this administration doesn't like them.

This is one of the more true statements I have read Suz...it matters not what his weapon of choice was...he would have still done what he has done.

Sad Crying or Very sad

I will not go into the what's, why's or wherefores...what has happened has happened and not amount of debating it will alter that fact...is a tragedy for everyone involved.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the innocent victims. This will be a very sad Christmas for each and every one of them. They are in the arms of the Lord...may their souls Rest in Peace.

#15: Re: How do we stop this ??? My heart is breaking ,,,, Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:18 am
    ----
This young man was mentally unstable. He was supposed to be on medication and under care. That he shot his mother, a teacher at the school and killed 20 young children with no remorse shows that this could only have been prevented by incarceration for his protection and the protection of the public. Unfortunately nobody predicted this behavior and so all that can be done is to prosecute him and mourn the injured, dead and their families.
No amount of restrictions would have prevented this terrible crime.
Maybe they ought to allow staff to carry guns in schools?

Things to keep in mind:
1. There are few things more senseless than the violent death of a child.
2. The survivors have greater injuries than those who died.
3. legislating sanity is impossible.
4. Legislation aimed at criminals only affects non-criminal citizens.

-> General