Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:11 am
    ----
stratocat.com.ar/artic...sior-e.htm

www.redbullstratos.com/

Funny stuff comparing new attempt to old. Like the Shuttle to Apollo. From masking tape and waxed cotton-canvas to krazy-glue and carbon fiber.

Old School guys were way tougher. Kids today? Meh.

You'd have trouble paying me not to do this...I do it for free. Today, right now in fact- go 600 mph unaided? Where do I freakin sign! Razz

#2: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:37 pm
    ----
Six Flags

#3: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:51 pm
    ----
Quiet you!!!

#4: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatende Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:58 pm
    ----
Awesome! Old School!

"....the highest step in the world......."

#5: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:32 pm
    ----
You been using too much Helium lately to talk with, stovey?

#6: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:41 pm
    ----
Nope!

I do find it interesting how we used to do more with less. I'm over simpliyfing but- what they did this experiment with last time is amazing compared to what they are doing now. Love the open gondola of the '60 shot...3 hour ride in the elements. Man that must been COLD.

#7: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:46 pm
    ----
The ultimate wilderness adventure - one man against the world! Stovey, we do more now just because we can. They would have done more back then if they could have. We find this testing airplanes all the time. They collect far more data during flight test today than 10, 20, or 30 years ago. Not that they need to but because they can.

#8: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:23 pm
    ----
Kudos to the guys with the intestinal fortitude, or guts, to do this...I ain't one of them that's for sure. I am of the firm beliefs that there is no sense in jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, and there are only two things that fall from the sky...bird crap and fools.

#9: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:29 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
I am of the firm beliefs that there is no sense in jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, and

Speed is life! That's what I told my son before he went to Airborne training.

#10: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:53 am
    ----
Nothing wrong with speed mate...I love it, so long as I am in control...but its the sudden stop that is a killer. Very Happy Very Happy

#11: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:21 am
    ----
I did a few jumps in the Navy-it was a blast. First jump sucked tho, not the jump but the landing. Hit my head hard! All they gave us for head protection was very old looking football helmets, hardly any protection unless you were going to hit a rock. It's totally fun tho, never want to do it again, I'm sure I'd break one of my limbs, but they didn't let us use steerable parachutes, that would make a huge difference.

#12: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:59 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
Kudos to the guys with the intestinal fortitude, or guts, to do this...I ain't one of them that's for sure. I am of the firm beliefs that there is no sense in jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, and there are only two things that fall from the sky...bird crap and fools.
Laughing Ditto Vince,Big F'N Ditto! Laughing

#13: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:37 am
    ----
Went parachuting 9 times and the last time I had to use the RSL (reserve static line) to make it to the ground safely. Now I keep my feet planted on the ground.

#14: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:18 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
classic mate ...classic. Very Happy Very Happy

#15: Re: Old School vs. New School: 52 year old record threatended Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:10 pm
    ----
He broke the sound barrier in free-fall.
That is a first for a man without a plane and he did it on the anniversary of the first American to break the sound barrier and live to tell about it. Chuck Yeager was flown in a F-18 to duplicate breaking the sound barrier and celebrate the day too.
So, whats next? A 25000mph return from orbit in a space suit? We will have to find a suit that has a heat shield built into it.

-> General