Police Shoot CHL Holder in Cosco
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> General

#16: Re: Police Shoot CHL Holder in Cosco Author: EremiusLocation: Owosso, MI PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:38 am
    ----
There are a few things in that story that just don't pass the sniff test. Is there another source for this story? That article is far too full of personal opinion. I find it particularly suspicious that the family dropped the wrongful shooting suit.

More info:

It looks like this incident was one big charlie foxtrot all around. It sounds like the Vegas PD tends to be a bit trigger happy in the first place but also the victim had high levels of morphine and Xanax in him at the time of his death. I don't know about other states but it is illegal here in MI to carry while intoxicated (this includes drugs as well).

Source: http://www.lvrj.com/news/costco-shooting-victim-s-family-drops-lawsuit-against-police-142560795.html

One thing I keep seeing is that officer Mosher, the one giving commands, told Scott to drop the gun. I think that if I was carrying and all of the sudden cops are giving commands to me, the last thing I am going to do is put my hands anywhere in the area code of where I am carrying my weapon.

Source: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/sep/23/officer-deadly-shooting-says-man-pointed-gun-didnt/

It sounds like a crappy situation all the way around.

#17: Re: Police Shoot CHL Holder in Cosco Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:35 am
    ----
There seems to be two vastly different versions of this story floating around. The "official" story talks about this guy going berserk, pulling a gun on the cops, etc. The witnesses accounts vary. If he was ordered to drop the gun that would be difficult to do without removing it from his belt... Given the man's background it doesn't seem likely, but not impossible, that he was a drugged up hot head as the police reported.

Taken from the memorial website: "Erik was a 1994 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point; served as an Army tank platoon leader and company staff officer; obtained a Masters degree in Business Administration from Duke University; had successful careers in medical-device and real estate sales, and was a Boston Scientific Cardiac Rhythm Management sales associate at the time of his death."

There is more info here, www.lasvegassun.com/ne...justified/

I did notice that one of the cops involved in the shooting has been indicted for giving a gun to a known felon.

#18: Re: Police Shoot CHL Holder in Cosco Author: EremiusLocation: Owosso, MI PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 am
    ----
Pumpkinslinger wrote:
There seems to be two vastly different versions of this story floating around. The "official" story talks about this guy going berserk, pulling a gun on the cops, etc. The witnesses accounts vary. If he was ordered to drop the gun that would be difficult to do without removing it from his belt...

I suspect it was somewhere in the middle. I would guess he was pulling it out (holstered) in order to show the cops in an effort to display he wasn't trying to hide anything. It was just a really poor choice.

Quote::
Given the man's background it doesn't seem likely, but not impossible, that he was a drugged up hot head as the police reported.
Yeah, hard to tell as parts of articles say he was acting confused and other parts say he was belligerent.

I suspect the loss prevention guy was a douchenozzle who escalated the situation.

I also suspect that the officer giving him commands, while hopped up on adrenaline, was firing them off one after the other adding to the confusion.

There were multiple screw-ups in this incident on all sides.

#19: Re: Police Shoot CHL Holder in Cosco Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:19 pm
    ----
Shocked This all transpired due to the cosco rent a cop trying to be a sert/swat team guy,the real police over reacted,and chl guy was at the wrong place at the right time!As I said before cosco should be held culpable in a wrongful death suit!Their employee-their responsibility-their F-UP!Maybe they will hire the more expensive "rent-a-cop" the next time!

#20: Re: Police Shoot CHL Holder in Cosco Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:18 pm
    ----
TRBLSHTR wrote:
8-O This all transpired due to the cosco rent a cop trying to be a sert/swat team guy,the real police over reacted,and chl guy was at the wrong place at the right time!As I said before cosco should be held culpable in a wrongful death suit!Their employee-their responsibility-their F-UP!Maybe they will hire the more expensive "rent-a-cop" the next time!

I agree with Troubles 110%. I said right from the start that the Costco "Floor Walker/Aisle Creeper" was to blame for escalating the situation by going over his bosses head and calling Police. Maybe he/she is a Police Academy reject or was rejected from even joining the Police...but still thinks that they are carrying some sort of legal authority.

That is who the family should target with a lawsuit.

Cheers, Vince

#21: Re: Police Shoot CHL Holder in Cosco Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:34 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
If you are carrying and are told (or asked) to leave...LEAVE!! Just walk away from your shopping cart and let the stupid clerk deal with the full cart.

Yup. CHL holder or not, you cannot fix too stupid not to escalate the situation.

Getting into arguments isn't the smartest thing, physical confrontations do happen afterwards, and well if your carrying a gun, legally carrying it or not, the person your arguing with will feel threatened when they see it.

Dimitri

#22: Re: Police Shoot CHL Holder in Cosco Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:50 am
    ----
good call Dimitri. If I am out in a hunting situation and carrying a firearm my conduct around others is more polite and thought out than at other times (when Im as subtle as a sledgehammer) being extra catious means I am less likely to get in the doo doos.

#23: Re: Police Shoot CHL Holder in Cosco Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:15 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
If you are carrying and are told (or asked) to leave...LEAVE!! Just walk away from your shopping cart and let the stupid clerk deal with the full cart.

Couldn't agree any more.

#24: Re: Police Shoot CHL Holder in Cosco Author: wncchester PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:44 pm
    ----
"I hold our NZ police in such high regard, the heavy handed d*#kwackers get sorted out pretty well , pull your head in or p%ss off elsewhere!!!"

Wish we could say that. Ours get promoted.

-> General