Targets for printing
-> PointBlank Software

#1: Targets for printing Author: terrorhertz PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:22 am
    ----
I've played around with PB over the winter and I love it.
This will be my 1st shooting/reloading season using it. I printed some of the targets from point blank with MS Paint. I felt like there was some empty space left on the page that I could use to keep my records consistent and make the transmission of data from the targets to software and from software to the targets for the record books a little easier. They are also still hole punchable to go in my log book like my other targets.
I added data fields to the top for the range day data and reloading data at the bottom for each of the targets supplied by PB and I added a new target as well. There are also templates to build your own using the same 600x600 pixel size that PB requires.
I've attached a zip file of all the files and a folder. Unzip this to your PB folder and it creates a folder "Printable Targets" with the targets and templates in it and it added 1 600x600 pixel target into the PB root folder for PB to use with the target I created.
File names for my targets correspond to the file names that PB uses so its easy to select the right target in PB that you shot at on the range. The reload data fields are also in the identical to and in the same order as in PB so it easy to hand copy the data from PB to the target or vise-versa.
I scanned my zip file for virii but still recommend scanning after you download it anyway since the file is stored on a server now.
Here's an example:

here's the file:

#2: Re: Targets for printing Author: 338WinMagManLocation: South Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:59 am
    ----
Since this is about targets, I will continue the thread. Is it possible to change the scale on the targets so that if you have group that is printing 4" high and to the left that you can input the actual group location and have it on the target?

Thanks,

Tommy

#3: Re: Targets for printing Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:51 pm
    ----
Its been on a todo list for ages, supporting different sized targets. I'll revisit this probably this weekend and see if I cant come up with a solution.

-DallanC

#4: Re: Targets for printing Author: 338WinMagManLocation: South Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:09 am
    ----
Thanks I would really appreciate that if you could. I am getting a lot of use from the program as it is but to do an honest, visual comparison between targets and points of impact it would be nice if the targets could be scaled. Going from 150 gr bullet to a 180 or 190 gr bullet sometimes causes a large shift in the point of impact.

Once again thanks for the program.

#5: Re: Targets for printing Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:04 pm
    ----
I am very nearly done with this. It becomes complicated because the target's "center" can vary from scan to scan as well as the "pixels per inch".

I have it now so that it takes a BMP file, allows the user to click the target to mark "center" and a point 1" high and 1" right of center. From that I am able to compute the scale and covert bullet holes back into inch sized units. Thus far it seems to be working ok, I need to run some more tests as well as update the help system to explain this to people.

-DallanC

#6: Re: Targets for printing Author: 338WinMagManLocation: South Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:11 am
    ----
DallanC, you the man! Thanks for putting the effort into this.

Tommy in South Louisiana

#7: Re: Targets for printing Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:34 pm
    ----
wtf That thing hurts my eyes! Razz

#8: Re: Targets for printing Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:28 am
    ----
Added JPG, GIF and PNG support now as well. Its saving out and loading the data properly so I think its pretty much done. I just need to complete some further testing to make sure there are no bugs that might affect existing database information.

Its really close though Smile

-DallanC

#9: Re: Targets for printing Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:38 pm
    ----
Dallan,
Take a day off for some recoil therapy! you have been working too hard.

#10: Re: Targets for printing Author: 44martyLocation: Cheshire, MA; USA PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:14 am
    ----
DallanC wrote:
Added JPG, GIF and PNG support now as well. Its saving out and loading the data properly so I think its pretty much done. I just need to complete some further testing to make sure there are no bugs that might affect existing database information.

Its really close though Smile

-DallanC

Dallan, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the work you put into this site and the software. Love it that you have the persistence to keep after an idea, like a bulldog You are the man !!!

#11: Re: Targets for printing Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:34 am
    ----
PaulS wrote:
Dallan,
Take a day off for some recoil therapy! you have been working too hard.

My company just shifted us into mandatory overtime for the next 3 months starting yesterday. We've been at 50hrs a week for the past 6 weeks but now they want us at 60-65hrs. I really need to find a new job.

Anyway I wanted to wrap up these changes and a few other misc bugs before I get to buried at work. Hope to release a new version tonight or tomorrow.

-DallanC

#12: Re: Targets for printing Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:25 am
    ----
Dallan,

I worked for a company that would go from 4 eight hour days to 6 12 hour days too. It was a real pain and all because of poor management. When it started to wear me down I went to the doctor and she wrote me a note saying I could work no more than 9 hours a day for health reasons. Most everyone else there was on Prozac and they were all good little robots. After working there for six years I found a job that paid better and worked a steady 40 hour week.
In todays market that might not be possible though.

#13: Re: Targets for printing Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:02 pm
    ----
New version pushed. Please let me know if anyone encounters bugs.

Targets are placed in the same location as the PointBlank.exe file and may be BMP, JPG or PNG formats.

Targets must be square to eliminate stretching, but the center of the target no longer needs correspond to the center of the image. This means you can now finally have a target that has its center more towards the bottom of the screen allowing for higher groups.

This means however, all new targets must be calibrated correctly for the group size calculations to work properly.

When you select a new target, a prompt will come up to describe calibration.

It is very simple, Left click on the new target at the visual center. A Red dot should show up on the targets visual center.

Now Right click the target at a location 1" high and 1" to the right of center. You should see a Blue dot up and left of the Red dot.

Based on those two user defined positions I am able to compute center and the appropriate X and Y scaling factors.

You can repeat the process as often as you wish to reposition the calibration dots until you get it as precise as you want. The screen also allows scaling to aid in calibration.

Settings are saved out when the image is finally accepted. The calibration only has to happen once and is preserved from then on (after being accepted).

-DallanC

#14: Re: Targets for printing Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:24 am
    ----
Thanks Dallan...you are a champion mate.

-> PointBlank Software