Things you hear in a gun shop
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#31: Re: Things you hear in a gun shop Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:09 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Old (4 man) tent, Hillary.

Is that the tent Edmund Hillary used on Everest back in '53?
Don

#32: Re: Things you hear in a gun shop Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:23 am
    ----
SingleShotLover wrote:
Remington really goofed on that .. old .244 ....

Remington has a bad habit of muddying the waters. They made an unexplained and unexplainable move in simply renaming one of my pet cartridges, the .280 Remington, and nearly caused its demise through sheer confusion. Offered originally in 1957, Remington decided, for no apparent reason, in 1979 and 1980 to change the name to 7mm Remington Express...same cartridge...same rifles…different name. The resulting confusion and potentially lethal dangers of someone using the “7mm Remington Express” cartridges in a 7mm Remington Magnum chamber led Remington to return to the original designation of .280 Remington, but the cartridge suffered a minor setback as a result.

Remington blew the introduction of the 6.8mm SPC, also. They used large rifle primers in a small case, to fast a twist rate (9.5:1 which is faster than a .270 Win), and too sharp a forcing cone leading up to the lands/rifling. The 6.8 SPC II is now thriving after other manufactures got it right.

#33: Re: Things you hear in a gun shop Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:47 am
    ----
No...This is a different one... Very Happy

#34: Re: Things you hear in a gun shop Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:12 pm
    ----
...and I am prepared to bet ya wouldn't have it any other way Bushy.

Nothing wrong with travelling light and with gear that didn't cost a million...so long as the gear you do have does its job the way you want and intended.

So long as I have protection from the weather and can sleep comfy, I am a happy man. I actually enjoy sleeping under my hootchie and on the ground in a sleeping bag when the need arises. Overall value of the hootchie, ground sheet and sleeping bag would be maybe $100 tops...but it does the job admirably.

Which brings me to SSL's "mate" who shot the deer seven times with his smoothbore. The gun and ammunition he had might have been top notch stuff, but he didn't ensure that it would do the job he intended...come to think of it, he didn't do his job and intended as well.

Cheers, Vince

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions