Clearing Land
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  :| |:
-> General

#46: Re: Clearing Land Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:06 pm
    ----
1895ss wrote:
Very nice Lester, I'm jealous! Shocked My brother had a Stihl but my Husqvarna is by far a better saw in many many ways especially starting. Smile
Mad thems fighting words Very Happy
well actually the trick to getting a stubborn to start husky to go is to threaten to buy a stihl and vice versa Very Happy Very Happy
they are both great saws and you wont go wrong with either brand. Im just a stihl man, always have been and always will be.

#47: Re: Clearing Land Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:17 pm
    ----
wtf I hate chain saws!I have two high dollar stihls and a high dollar husky,and all three need constant attention like some spoiled little cheerleader!What sucks worse is that I have a homelight that I got at a recycling center(garbage dump)that somebody had thrown away with a bent bar.I banged the bar back out,reinstalled the original chain,and have been making up firewood with it for three years!Dang thing always starts and I just replaced the original chain last month!So much for german and swedish chainsaws! Sad

#48: Re: Clearing Land Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:32 pm
    ----
Elvis wrote:
1895ss wrote:
Very nice Lester, I'm jealous! Shocked My brother had a Stihl but my Husqvarna is by far a better saw in many many ways especially starting. Smile
Mad thems fighting words Very Happy
well actually the trick to getting a stubborn to start husky to go is to threaten to buy a stihl and vice versa Very Happy Very Happy
they are both great saws and you wont go wrong with either brand. Im just a stihl man, always have been and always will be.

I hate to admit it but you are right. Very Happy I would likely have bought a stihl but they were closed that day and the husky dealer wasn't, and they were across the street from each other. Very Happy But that being said I have never been sorry for buying the husky. It has worked excellent for the last 20 years. I still starts cold on the 2nd pull every time. Smile My Brother (rest his soul) and I used to have a contest all the time in Elk camp as to who's saw would start first when needed and my Husky won hands down. Very Happy No B.S. In the timber where I hunt Elk I would be happy to have either saw with me as they would both get the job done. Smile

#49: Re: Clearing Land Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:21 am
    ----
TRBLSHTR get on to the stihl website and get in touch with them if you arent getting any joy from your local store. I just have and been given a $200 voucher for stihl product or services cause Id had a bad experience and let them know.I cant think what the heck would cause problems like you are having as all the saws Ive used and been around over the years have been super reliable.

#50: Re: Clearing Land Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:21 am
    ----
Thanks guys, been working hard, at least as hard as I can. Getting lots of help from Mike and Doogie. Clover starting to pop up, and we have several chain saws, of various sizes some good some not so good, but they all work. Heated with wood only when we were in Michigan did all the cutting and splitting myself, no hydraulic splitter either, 5 full cords per winter.

Just purchased, not done with closing yet, a 28 x 70 double wide. It is used and a repo but is only a 2007 in very nice shape and a great price, most importantly Dee likes it.

And, yes Elvis from where the back deck will be I can see down, and shoot down the best game paths, won't have to worry about someone else taking me out any more, only getting up off my butt to do it.

#51: Re: Clearing Land Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 am
    ----
Sounds good Les! I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the place when you get it like you want it.

#52: Re: Clearing Land Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:04 am
    ----
lesterg3 wrote:
Thanks guys, been working hard, at least as hard as I can. Getting lots of help from Mike and Doogie. Clover starting to pop up, and we have several chain saws, of various sizes some good some not so good, but they all work. Heated with wood only when we were in Michigan did all the cutting and splitting myself, no hydraulic splitter either, 5 full cords per winter.

Just purchased, not done with closing yet, a 28 x 70 double wide. It is used and a repo but is only a 2007 in very nice shape and a great price, most importantly Dee likes it.

And, yes Elvis from where the back deck will be I can see down, and shoot down the best game paths, won't have to worry about someone else taking me out any more, only getting up off my butt to do it.
Laughing What more could a man want in retirement.......a cold beer-faster horses-younger women-older whiskey-more money,or something like that! Laughing

#53: Re: Clearing Land Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:15 am
    ----
Update;

New house, well actually used house but very nice. I guess the folks who let it go had it as a vacation home at the beach, but never used it.

New tractor and brush hog, well obviously not new very old in fact but runs great.

Still lots going on out there, still need a disc and a scrape blade, maybe a plow sometime later, and trees lot's of trees.

#54: Re: Clearing Land Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:39 am
    ----
very nice. pleased to hear you are making progress.

#55: Re: Clearing Land Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:00 am
    ----
That's not a very old tractor... mine still carries the name "Massey-Harris" !

But I have to be honnest: to work in the field I use an old russian Bielarus.

#56: Re: Clearing Land Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:40 am
    ----
Well to some this may sound all exciting, and I am very excited about the prospects of living out there, and getting out of this city (as small a city as it is it is too big for me).

But, the stress of this is really getting bad, not to mention that I am using money that with no income I am worried about not having.

But, on the other hand everything seems to be progressing nicely and if I could just sell were I'm living now that would make me feel a lot better.

Talked to a guy at Clemson University about the things I wanted to plant out there and he is coming out to look at the place and says he may make the farm/wildlife layout a class project for some of his students, I think that is nice, but we'll see.

#57: Re: Clearing Land Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:51 am
    ----
Les, the Clemson thing sounds great! Hope you can get that worked out. I think you're getting to do something that a lot of us would like to, making a good home where you have room for shooting and hunting.

#58: Re: Clearing Land Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:36 am
    ----
Very Happy Les- Ive got an old massey just about the same as that-infact just had to replace lower radiator hose yesterday as the other one rotted out and the engine got a little warm!You have some nice ground there-I hope the game likes it as well,and at least enough open areas to target practice.I hope that your new home has provisions for a "shoot house" with a roof on it for those rainy days.........then there would never be reason to go to town! Very Happy

#59: Re: Clearing Land Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:18 pm
    ----
Im sure you are looking at the money side of things with both eyes open and wont over stretch yourselves. the old Fergie tells me you arent being a dope about things and buying brand new. those old girls go for years, there is an orchard up Nelson way that runs a whole fleet of them because they are the right size for around trees and cheap to run and easier to fix if something ever goes wrong.

-> General