Clearing Land
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> General

#31: Re: Clearing Land Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:41 pm
    ----
Hmmm, the photo on that Mapper site shows both my Honda CR-V and my Dodge Dakota parked in my yard. That dates it to about June, 2004.

#32: Re: Clearing Land Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:05 pm
    ----
Pumpkinslinger wrote:
Hmmm, the photo on that Mapper site shows both my Honda CR-V and my Dodge Dakota parked in my yard. That dates it to about June, 2004.

In my area the maps are a little more up todate ,, I use them alot for the topo maps and infer-red img.

#33: Re: Clearing Land Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:10 pm
    ----
wow a pond thats spring fed!!!! you lucky man you... Im green with envy. shooting lanes too!! that sounds like paradise. if you are not going to build a house yet have a look at some of the gottage ideas around eg a double garage with a room on the end with toilet shower as well. they arent too badly priced and will always be an asset even after a house is added.that way you can stay in relative comfort while you get the funds ready for the big build and SWMBO will be happy to get away for a weekend, its amazing what those two home comforts add to the appeal.
$4500 sounds like a great price and if you like the fella and get on well its even better.

#34: Re: Clearing Land Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:07 am
    ----
Update:

Well the dozer guy has been did his business and gone.

Before he started I wrapped yellow caution tape around the perimeter and on trees I did not want to lose and for the most part he did a pretty good job, lost a few trees I didn’t want gone. Decided to not clear quite as much as originally planned so instead of 5 acres we have about 4 to clean up and live on.

Went out about a week ago and spread 40 pounds of Durana clover so there would be something on the ground to stop erosion. Went out yesterday to take some pics and there were about 20 turkeys in the middle just having a great old time. Lots of stuff to burn and lots of clean up too; the last owner was a pig trash and garbage everywhere. Going to let it dry till September or October and then burn.

Pond’s going to have to wait till fall. As it turns out the last guy that owned the land got fined for putting a road in to the back of the land because he just covered a stream and caused it to reroute on the neighbor’s property. So long story short an engineer from the DNR came out to look at what we had and what we wanted to do. Got the approval in the mail last week, but it is a bit more work than planned and the pond will be a bit bigger, but there is some good news, I can tie the natural spring into the pond, I get to dig out the road and put a culvert in to allow the stream to resume its natural course, and the best news is the state will pay 30% of the total cost, has something to do with creating wetlands.

Google Earth shot of the property.

Light green is the property lines, blue dashes as far back as we cleared, dark blue is the stream and pond, and the red dots are the permanent hunting blinds.

Just some pics of what it looks like now, lots of work to do.

#35: Re: Clearing Land Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:22 am
    ----
Lester, in my opinion you're earning your hunter's heaven now! Most of my farming is for the wild game and it always surprises me what changes when you create the right environment.

And it's nice when the state supports you, but I hope they don't ask too much return favours, wild game doesn't like to be visited by the schoolbusses...
feed, drinking-water, cover and rest,
when I could chose the food and the drinking part myself, then I could live with it Smile
but I'm sure nature will be very grateful.

#36: Re: Clearing Land Author: EremiusLocation: Owosso, MI PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:02 am
    ----
Love those pictures! Looks like an incredible piece of property. Good deal on the wetlands creation assistance.

#37: Re: Clearing Land Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:30 am
    ----
Lester...I'm green with envy mate...your place looks awesome.

That spring fed pond is going to bring the deer in, and if you are smart you will throw in some native fingerling fish...and maybe some crayfish (or yabbies as we call them).

As Aloys said...hunter's heaven mate.

Cheers, Vince

#38: Re: Clearing Land Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:52 am
    ----
Les, that looks great!

#39: Re: Clearing Land Author: EremiusLocation: Owosso, MI PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:22 am
    ----
Vince wrote:
Lester...I'm green with envy mate...your place looks awesome.

That spring fed pond is going to bring the deer in, and if you are smart you will throw in some native fingerling fish...and maybe some crayfish (or yabbies as we call them).

As Aloys said...hunter's heaven mate.

Cheers, Vince

I agree on the fingerling fish but crayfish likely wouldn't make it as they like hard bottoms (sand/rock).

#40: Re: Clearing Land Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:06 am
    ----
Looking nice.

#41: Re: Clearing Land Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:48 am
    ----
Very Happy Nice look ground Lester.Should have ended up with a bit of firewood also,for those after hunting stories around the "firepit",and a little brew for "purely medicinal reasons". Laughing

#42: Re: Clearing Land Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:14 pm
    ----
Awesome place Les!

#43: Re: Clearing Land Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:13 pm
    ----
are those mature oaks??? Shocked man that is a sweet set up. you wont have to go far to hunt at all. dont know if the little women will understand why the master bed room needs an outside ranchslider in it and why it has to face towards the best morning grazing spot,but Im sure when the ol smoke pole is positioned there on its bipod in the evening she will get the picture Very Happy Very Happy
if you dont already own a chainsaw go and see the guys at your nearest stihl shop and get a good saw. the cheap brands wont last or give you anywhere near as good of service.look forward to seeing more pictures later.

#44: Re: Clearing Land Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:04 pm
    ----
Photo maps can be a blessing or a curse.
We had a "near maps" photo the week of the big floods here.
Seems I was well enough to have my legs sticking out from under the car, lucky I had jocks on.....
The brother in law was photographed in his driveway on the phone (cutoff during the floods) he now officially has a bald spot that can be seen from space, Im still laughing over that.

Lester, thats a great looking property, it should turn out well.
Just dont tell the state you like ducks Smile

Last edited by dhc4ever on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

#45: Re: Clearing Land Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:06 pm
    ----
Very nice Lester, I'm jealous! Shocked My brother had a Stihl but my Husqvarna is by far a better saw in many many ways especially starting. Smile

-> General