Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:57 pm
    ----
I went to the range last week and used the bullet trap I have been developing to capture a Berger 150gr VLD and Barnes 110gr TTSX. I wanted to see what the terminal performance difference was going to be between a bullet that was designed to penetrate a couple of inches then fragment (VLD) and one designed for expansion with 100% weight retention (TTSX). From the picture below, you can see the surprise I got. The VLD is on the left and the TTSX on the right.

Detail regarding the Bullet Trap can be found in this article.

Last edited by slimjim on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:38 am; edited 3 times in total

#2: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:01 pm
    ----
The TTSX performed as expected. It mushroomed to twice its size and bored through 3 phone books and 7 magazines. The VLD, however, piled up as a flatted slug 15 magazines deep. Nice penetration but no fragmentation and in a strange state with the hollow-point tip still intact as you can see from the picture below. I've included the Hornady 130gr GMX from a prior range session for comparison.

#3: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:06 pm
    ----
That VLD doesnt look like it was stabilized when it hit the target. Really wierd result!

-DallanC

#4: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:08 pm
    ----
Investigation revealed that the VLD bullet did not expand on impact but yawed and was turned 90 degrees passing through the first phone book in the box. The VLD bullet actually went through the remaining phone books and magazines backwards until the copper jacket crumbled and the bullet expanded to a stop.

I'm going to write an article on building and using a bullet trap and wanted to use this topic for our discussion.

Last edited by slimjim on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:12 pm
    ----
DallanC wrote:
That VLD doesnt look like it was stabilized

I checked its stability factor at 1.4. That should be plenty of stabilization. The 130gr GMX has a lower stability factor and did fine.

#6: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:17 pm
    ----
That is a pretty great experiment, I think I will try it with my loads as I have several different types of bullets to try for my 7 mag and my .222 Rem. Interesting how that VLD seemed to perform like it did when I have talked to so many that swear they are great. Im sure anything you shoot with any of those rounds would go down but would you really want to risk it. I hada core lokt that performed even worse then that which is why I stopped using them.

#7: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:29 pm
    ----
The article going into more detail about the bullet trap is now posted here.

Thanks, DallanC, for posting it so quickly!

Last edited by slimjim on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total

#8: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:42 am
    ----
Slim, this is a good thread and that's a great article! I'm looking forward to more on this line of testing.

#9: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:45 am
    ----
Thanks SlimJ, that was very well done for sure. I've seen that sideways yaw reaction on one of my targets......now which rifle was it? I'm glad you did the .270, I've really liked the round and wondered how it performed. You saved me the trouble. I think I'd like to do that too. You are very analytical and got me interested.

Suz

#10: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: Donut SlayerLocation: Pensacola, Florida PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:58 pm
    ----
Outstanding post Slim. Both of them.

#11: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:42 pm
    ----
Slim, excellent post, I have also did some peniteration with both wet and dry newspaper, my best results were with wet paper.

Last edited by Ominivision1 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total

#12: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: glockman55Location: Michigan PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:37 pm
    ----
Very cool...I'm going to try this for pistol defence loads.. I tried the water jug in front of a dirt mound, but I like the phone book idea, Thanks..

#13: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: jeh7mmmagLocation: DFW, TX. PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:27 pm
    ----
Great job Slim... I like the fact the bullet penetrated the lawyer head and did not pass through. Great result. Good stuff.

#14: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:53 am
    ----
Looking at the VLD, it amazes me how that bullet came apart like that.

#15: Re: Making a Bullet Trap to Test Terminal Performance Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:17 am
    ----
Ominivision1 wrote:
Looking at the VLD, it amazes me how that bullet came apart like that.

OV1, I'm going repeat the test on the VLD again. However, when testing for reliability, I have found that 10 passes in a row is not enough to determine a high level of confidence. One failure - is way too many.

Thanks, all for the compliments.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions