Stained nickel brass
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: Stained nickel brass Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:24 pm
    ----
I notice [once] a range that I was working as a Range Master that the cow sh*t from the many cattle turned loose on the range (they had the right-of-way) tended to tarnish or discolor nickel brass.

#17: Re: Stained nickel brass Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:22 pm
    ----
Pffft- don't soak 'em in Brasso- just try a bit on a rag to get the schmutz off the outside, if it dont come off instantly ya need go no further with it but if it does...then toss 'em in a bucket of suds if ya like to stop any reaction. Magic Wadding will prolly get the gunk off too. I'm bettin' some electrolosis happened, the brass trasnfered to the nickel then it oxidzed. Seen guys polish cases using a drill press and some Flitz et al. Like I said, nickel is pretty bomb proof stuff. Try some orange oil from a rind too, not the furniture polish. I've saved brass cases gone green like that and they are still going...

#18: Re: Stained nickel brass Author: inthedarkLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:55 am
    ----
Does the application of nickle on steel not involve first applying copper as the 'primer'(for lack of a better word) on the steel so that the nickle will adhere?

#19: Re: Stained nickel brass Author: inthedarkLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:57 am
    ----
As for the orange oil, it is like Kentucky Fried Chicken grease. When I was a kid and we were working on our cars, we always ordered KFC for lunch to get our hands clean from all the black grease. I think back now and we should have just licked our hands clean. lmao

#20: Re: Stained nickel brass Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:13 am
    ----
Ah- I used to plate.

There's usually a base metal or two applied prior to most plating opperations that involve nickel and chrome for shiny stuff. This takes minutes in most cases, not hours, in controlled environments and so on. And, like painting if you are going for a smooth shiny finish it's all about surface prep. But how one nickle plate ammo cases is beyond me. I'm not familiar with that process.

#21: Re: Stained nickel brass Author: inthedarkLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:20 am
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
Ah- I used to plate.

There's usually a base metal or two applied prior to most plating opperations that involve nickel and chrome for shiny stuff. This takes minutes in most cases, not hours, in controlled environments and so on. And, like painting if you are going for a smooth shiny finish it's all about surface prep. But how one nickle plate ammo cases is beyond me. I'm not familiar with that process.

When I first got out of the army, I worked at a plant that made the shiney plastic emblems for cars. They were doing a production run for Ford and my job was to wipe each plastic emblem with solvent and look for any that had waves in the plastic before they were put into a metal rack that was put into a huge container and I was told that the metal was deposited upon the emblem, by a special spray process and then heated to 200F for four hours and then when they were done, the emblems were wiped again prior to shipping to the customer. They wouldn't let anyone with a pacemaker or any electronic device near the machine because they said that it would fry it. Still makes me wonder?!

#22: Re: Stained nickel brass Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:31 am
    ----
Man plating plastic is uber tricky and at some places is a closely guarded secret!

-> Reloading Ammunition