Quick hunt
-> Small Game Hunting

#1: Quick hunt Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:38 pm
    ----
Had a little free time this late afternoon before dark. Was able to get in a short hunt. Now into longjohn weather here. Pup was able to find me a few quick birds. I must admit that my aim was just pathetic on both these birds. They both flew off quite some distance across a creek into heavy cover. I wouldn't have bet a plug nickel that they would be retrieved. She found both of them in no time at all. Both were still very live birds at the time of retrieval. I don't know how one can hunt these birds without a most excellent dog. I feel blessed to have her at my side. Smile

#2: Re: Quick hunt Author: inthedarkLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:50 pm
    ----
Show off! lol

#3: Re: Quick hunt Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:30 am
    ----
Man that's flat country up there.

Nice job, by the way...The Dog. Not you....

#4: Re: Quick hunt Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:01 pm
    ----
moose1 you have earned my envy! Glad you had a good day.

#5: Re: Quick hunt Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:46 pm
    ----
Simply stellar.

Again.

What's that girl's name? Xtra ear skritches and nibbles for that lass tonight.

#6: Re: Quick hunt Author: inthedarkLocation: Ontario PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:21 am
    ----
Hey Moose it looks like your girl has a major owie on her chest. Is she one of those dogs that has only two speeds stop and go fast?

#7: Re: Quick hunt Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:59 am
    ----
She did well Moose...she is a good girl.

I noticed the wet patch on her chest as well...thought maybe it was from the creek...but it does seem to have a red tinge to it mate...is she alright?

Oh...you did well too mate bagging those birds. Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

#8: Re: Quick hunt Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 pm
    ----
Well, bird season is over now for me an the pup, as we will be leaving for Montana for Christmas. Season still goes on, but we won't be here for the ending. It has been a pretty good year for birds. Hope I didn't bore you all with the pics and such. And thanks for your nice comments. Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends. Here are a few answers to a couple questions that were asked.

Bushy--Yes, the country appears pretty flat, because.... it is pretty flat.

Vince--The pup is just fine. The red you saw on her belly is from red scoria dust that had setteled on top of the snow. She picked it up from laying on the snow to cool off.

Stovey--My pups name is Dakota. She is now four years old, and this was her fifth season hunting upland birds. She's way better at it than I am. Very Happy

One last pic of Dakota taking it easy after the hunt. And remember, Never, Ever, Spoil your bird dog. Have a good one everybody.
Very Happy

#9: Re: Quick hunt Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:58 pm
    ----
Great pics Moose, and awesome dog.

#10: Re: Quick hunt Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:01 pm
    ----
Bore us with the....what? Stop it and post more, that's an order!

See ya in Montanny man, I'm up in Kalispell from the 22nd to the 25th.

#11: Re: Quick hunt Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:29 pm
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
Bore us with the....what? Stop it and post more, that's an order!

See ya in Montanny man, I'm up in Kalispell from the 22nd to the 25th.

Stovey, you kiddin me. You really going to Kalispell? I'm hopin to get there Monday night the 19th. We will be there till we decide to leave. Hey man, shoot me a phone number. Might be fun to have a meet up.--terry

#12: Re: Quick hunt Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:34 pm
    ----
Aah...Photos of you two and Montanny would be nice....

#13: Re: Quick hunt Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:12 am
    ----
What Stovey said Mooseman...no boredom here mate...great pics, great hunting, great mutleys and great peoples...what more could a man ask fer mate?

I'm with Bushy...be great to see some pics of the Mooseman and Stovey creepin' through the long grass, lookin' for quail...with Dakota wanderin' behind shakin' her head in amusement. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#14: Re: Quick hunt Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:23 am
    ----
Gonna be a lil nippy!

Moose-man's pics typify American Upland Hunting. Perky pup, break-action, couple of cocks on the line in some fading orange light with a blanket of snow on the ground.

Damn good stuff.

PM sent sir. Beer's on me! (this place is nuts...old logger sallon. super tall sink so well, ya know...)

moosessaloon.com/

-> Small Game Hunting