Round 2....
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Small Game Hunting

#1: Round 2.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
    ----
2nd week since the opener. Got to my spot, glassed a little....bingo- two sentury's on duty. But, 40y from a ranchouse....FAK! Mad

So I hop out the truck a lil ways down the road, gab the bird bustin' stick, scramble into a wash, skinny west down it, hop out about 300y from the covey, slink along through the bushes south till I hit the road they are next to, slink some more eastbound and there they are, feeding away, fat little grey chickens, 20-30 of 'em.

My stomach's growling and I'm drooling on my Benelli. Razz

But- I gotta head these lil guys AWAY from the ranch house that they just came from gettin' some water, and brother when they bust they know where to go.
OK, I've hearded cat's, this can't be that hard....

Right. Cat's dont fly Laughing

So- I slooooowly stand up and begin coralling these guy with my arms away from the property (legal shoot limit is 150y min from a bldg.)...only 100y or so to go...how hard can this be?

Boing! there goes one, backflushes onto the ranch...boing! boing boing!

Fak, I'm losing them...slow up some...ooops, there's a few over there, comon lil doggies git back in the pack there. Good birdies, goooood birdies.....OK- back on the move...trotting along like good little chickens, OK now were running Shocked , Whoa! ...now were slowing down, this is like a reverse Pie'd Piper going ballistic. Birds are starting to peel off and head back. That's OK, just need a couple, hanging in there, few more go bye-bye but still got 10 or so, 30y more to go and we can start blasting, looking good, ooops another couple go- I'm down to 10 or so. FAK! Mad I'm controlling the tempo, or are the controlling me? I dunno I'm loading my gun at a full trot...birds are starting to drop me and I can't shoot yet.
OK- slow it up some, comon' guys, 5-6 birds left and it's almost on, quick check in the mirror and I'm good to shoot, safety off and....

Gone. Shocked

All gone. Mad

I slam on the brakes and hope a few holders bolt. Nada. Zippo. It's 90 degrees, I'm soaked, hungry, filthy hot and...no birds, no calls, nothing.

I kicked every bush in that 15 acre field- nothing. Left and came back 30 mins. later. Still nothing. Did that off and on all day 'till dark. Nothing.

And the start of my season? Nothing. Flushed a million Jack's though....swell. To depressed to shoot them. I think they were taunting me.

Birds: 2
Stovey: 0

At least I'm losing weight. Very Happy

See ya next week!

Last edited by stovepipe on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Round 2.... Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:34 pm
    ----
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy at least your keeping in shape.

#3: Re: Round 2.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:43 pm
    ----
It's cuz I'm STARVING. Running wild in 90* heat might help too.

I'm moving out to moose's place, he's got birds that wanna be shot and eaten out there.

#4: Re: Round 2.... Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:27 pm
    ----
Admit it, you're having fun trying!!

#5: Re: Round 2.... Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:57 pm
    ----
Im having fun reading keep up the updates.

#6: Re: Round 2.... Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:18 pm
    ----
Punkin wrote:
Admit it, you're having fun trying!!
Elvis wrote:
Im having fun reading keep up the updates.

Ya know what Stovey....I reckon if it wasn't fer bad luck mate, you wouldn't have any.

These birds know exactly where they are safe mate...and where they can feed and water.

Keep working them mate...you will catch them out eventually. Do you know the people in the ranch house...would they be amenable to you shooting 20- 30 yds short of the limit...or would they bust yer ars3 to the Warden?

Cheers, Vince

#7: Re: Round 2.... Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:06 am
    ----
I wonder if a hawk kite would work??? we have them over here to keep birds off a crop. stick one up by the house and the wee pesky/tasty bundles of feathers may fly the other way???

#8: Re: Round 2.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:26 am
    ----
State law = 150y min. Or it's a BIG fine. Even on private property.

Cooper's Hawks love then quail. When they fly over the fields freeze, won't see a bird for another hour or so. You can kick a bush hard as ya want but they aint bolting...sometimes I'll follow the hawk see if something pop's up after.

Yeh it's fun being in the bush- when I got there a 'yote was balling. Pretty cool and erie.

But I need some game. I'm getting frustraTed. It's another good year for birds, second in a row and everyone is limiting daily in 2 hours, doubt we'll have 3 good years in a row. Never been skunked twice. I'm moving on to a new hunk of land 40 mile east. This one's all done, too many ranches now and the johnny-come-lately's are turning the game into pets.

Stay tuned!

#9: Re: Round 2.... Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:42 am
    ----
Chuckle...Been there. Done that. Got any sunflower or saflower fields?

#10: Re: Round 2.... Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:12 pm
    ----
I feel for ya Stovey. Had a similar bad day today myself. Was terrible cold with a howling wind. Missed my first easy bird. Most of the birds we did find were flushing way ahead of us. Finally managed to connect on one, but my puppy dog was getting so disgusted with me she went out and caught a nice big old rooster herself. Darn, it was way bigger than mine.
Hang in there buddy. You'll get em. Very Happy

#11: Re: Round 2.... Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:50 pm
    ----
Good dog that, give her a extra big dinner and a pat from me please. my old bitch was known to get sick of us missing wallabies so she would run one to ground!!!.she looked not unlike your girl. ol misty was a GSP/lab and hard as nails.

#12: Re: Round 2.... Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:40 pm
    ----
Stovey...Maybe if you take the shot shells out of your mouth and put them in the chamber of your Benelli...

#13: Re: Round 2.... Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:56 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Stovey...Maybe if you take the shot shells out of your mouth and put them in the chamber of your Benelli...
Haha Haha Haha Haha

#14: Re: Round 2.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:55 am
    ----
Hmm....so that's where those go. Wha'ts this do.....WTH was that noise!

This is gonna beat the heck outta swinging this thing attem.

#15: Re: Round 2.... Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:45 am
    ----
Stovey...?? That you...?? Whaddya doin' in (and I mean "IN") that tree? Hidin' from those little birds?

-> Small Game Hunting