250AI Deer Rifle
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:20 am
    ----
Been wanting to build or buy one for a long time now !!!
The price tag of said build or purchase has kept me from doing so !!!

If I were to build it would be a Remington Model 7 action with a premium barrel fitted to a trued action, a light weight composite stock and aftermarket trigger.

If I were to buy !!! Rifle Specs Here

#2: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:11 pm
    ----
Mate,
Just buy it you only live once.
Anything with "COOPER" stamped on it over here starts at $4000.
$1900 is a bargain.
Its a long term goal, make it happen.
Thats also probably the only advise you'll get from the enablers on this site.

#3: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:11 am
    ----
dhc4ever wrote:

Just wish I had more options !!!

Would love to see Remington or Browning chamber the 250AI...... even if it's a limited run.

#4: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:15 am
    ----
dhc4ever wrote:

chambered, you do have a choice, build or buy!

#5: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:16 am
    ----
Yup .....it's that simple when it's not your money !!! Laughing

#6: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:53 am
    ----
This belongs in the "never ending whats my next new blah blah..." thread buddy.

I could also do up a paint job like that on your current shooter, likity-split too! Save ya ton of cash!

What's it matter either way................. if ya aint shootin' either of 'em.

Shocked

Ya also owe me 5$ for bringing home 5 boxes of primers with my rifle.

Poke

#7: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:31 am
    ----
Was going to put it there but was hoping this would be a build/buy debate and a discussion on cartridge choice !!! (hint hint Wink )

Don't need no paint job........ I buy em to my liking so I don't have to fiddle fart around Shocked

wtf 5 bucks ??? yea....checks in the mail !!!

#8: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:07 am
    ----
Ah- so, yer opposed to changing something once you get it. Hmmm...that could get boring. Either or...I say build it. You can piece it together and upgrade it as you go or at a later date, and, you'll have the supreme satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself. As far as the caliber what's not to like? A good bullet, propperly placed and just about anything will work so pick the one that tickles your fancy.

A check, from you? Not.

Send me an Abe and we'll call it even-

#9: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:09 am
    ----
Savage makes the .250 in two models the 14 and 16. 250 AI chamber reamers/services are available. Not sure of the cost of reaming but it may be an option. This is one service I found online but I am sure there are others. Perhaps someone has had experience with one that they can recommend.

www.bryantcustom.com/s...ailabl.htm

This one has prices

www.z-hat.com/rechamber.htm

#10: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:09 pm
    ----
BUILD!! That way, you get the firearm the way you want it.

#11: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:18 pm
    ----
looks like a nice scope.
if the money was ok to build it your way would be nicer, shop around there are gunsmiths doing these types of jobs all over.

#12: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:48 pm
    ----
Thanks for the input Mac !!!

If I was a Savage guy we wouldn't be having this conversation ........ I would have bought a premium barrel and swapped it myself a long time ago.
It's about the only thing I like about them Savages, they're a great platform for the do it your selfers.

I have thought about having a smith run a AI reamer but finding a Model 7 in a .250 seems to be a bit of a challenge these days.
Remington did a .250 Classic 700 in the early or mid 80's but I've never even seen one.

#13: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:55 pm
    ----
Slim, that there Cooper pretty much sums up what I want........ Light weight, synthetic stock, 22" barrel and can be had in a .250AI !!!

#14: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:09 pm
    ----
Elvis, That Cooper in the picture is wearing a Leupold VX III

There are no gunsmiths in my immediate area that are trustworthy of such a project !!!

Should I build I will more than likely send the action to a barrel maker to be trued and fitted with a barrel contoured similar to a Model 7

#15: Re: 250AI Deer Rifle Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:42 am
    ----
Chambered...I have to agree with dhc4ever mate. Anything made by Cooper is damn fine, and as he says, they cost a motza over here because of the quality of the build.

You only live once mate...lash out...you won't be sorry. Then you can do a build of a different calibre later.

Cheers, Vince

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions