Air show pictures
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Spam-O-Rama

#1: Air show pictures Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:42 pm
    ----
Here are a few pictures from the Winston-Salem, NC air show today. Gotta love this stuff!

#2: Re: Air show pictures Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:41 pm
    ----
The B-52, my favorite "heavy" plane.

Dimitri

#3: Re: Air show pictures Author: dan1dadLocation: St.Louis Missery PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:52 pm
    ----
excellent photos! I love aircraft. I'd love to visit Oshkosh some year.

#4: Re: Air show pictures Author: dan1dadLocation: St.Louis Missery PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:54 pm
    ----
When I had at the pool one day this summer, a B17 of the Confederate airforce stationed in St. Charles Mo flew over , very low, very loud. It was fantastic to see and i wish I had a camera then. I assume they were on their way to a air show somewhere.

#5: Re: Air show pictures Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:21 am
    ----
P51 D Mustang, the real prop fighter! In NZ there is an awesome one at the Wanaka Air Show. If you are a Fan of Air shows the Warbirds over Wanaka is an awesome display, a must see.

I watched a practice session about 5 years ago where a Spitfire came diving down on a gaggle of Russian Yaks (single engine fighters) and it was like a hawk through a pen full of chooks.
Then the P 51 took off........awesome!!!!!

#6: Re: Air show pictures Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:06 am
    ----
Nuthin nuthin nuthin better than an air show. Thanks for the pix!!

Suz

#7: Re: Air show pictures Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:14 am
    ----
Nice pics,

Dan, if you ever do make it to the Oshkosh air show, bring plenty of batteries for your camera. Very Happy

#8: Re: Air show pictures Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:24 am
    ----
I apparently took just a touch under 300 photos yesterday! Thats one way to get one good one!

#9: Re: Air show pictures Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:19 am
    ----
I'm surprised to see examples of the F-104 are still flying. IIRC it had a bit of a reputation back in its active service days.

#10: Re: Air show pictures Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:54 pm
    ----
Well, English Mike... There were supposed to be three at the show. Two showed up. After the first pass they kicked in the afterburners, or at least one did. Then they left the show for "technical problems" and one came back for an abbreviated demonstration.

#11: Re: Air show pictures Author: dan1dadLocation: St.Louis Missery PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:23 pm
    ----
Pumpkinslinger wrote:
I apparently took just a touch under 300 photos yesterday! Thats one way to get one good one!

I read an article by Art Wolfe, the famous outdoor photographer, and he said that he takes hundreds of photos to get one good shot.

So dont feel bad. The guys who make the big bucks do it the same way.

#12: Re: Air show pictures Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:33 pm
    ----
Nice photos.
People have no idea on how much work per flight hour is required to keep old jets in the air, 2 out of 3 aint bad.
They are a very complex device, designed in an era where 1/2 the aircraft were obsolete before they had finished flight testing and egronomics for the maintenance processes unheard of, and everything was mechanical.
Built for speed, altitude, ridiculas wing loading (tight turn not an option)and on the early models a downward firing ejection seat, coupled with an early developement jet engine = a reputation as the "all aluminium death tube".
That aside a spectactularly beautiful aircraft, glad someones kept them in the air.

#13: Re: Air show pictures Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:30 pm
    ----
dan1dad wrote:
I read an article by Art Wolfe, the famous outdoor photographer, and he said that he takes hundreds of photos to get one good shot.

He also digitally edits his photographs as he considers them "art", which is considered by many to be wrong.

Heck a Associated Press photojournalist was fired from his job for editing out his shadow in the photograph back in July, and they also removed every single image he ever submitted to them "just in case" he edited any more photographs and they were not caught. It caused quite a ruckus at the time among photojournalists.

Dimitri

#14: Re: Air show pictures Author: dan1dadLocation: St.Louis Missery PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:32 pm
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
dan1dad wrote:

He also digitally edits his photographs as he considers them "art", which is considered by many to be wrong.

Heck a Associated Press photojournalist was fired from his job for editing out his shadow in the photograph back in July, and they also removed every single image he ever submitted to them "just in case" he edited any more photographs and they were not caught. It caused quite a ruckus at the time among photojournalists.

Dimitri

Just my opinion, but I guess it all comes down to the venue in which they will be used. For instance, you wouldn't princess cut a diamond for use in a rock boring machine, but you would for use in a wedding ring.

Journalism , is suppose to reflect the facts, which todays journalist seem to have forgetting, were as Art Wolfe and others like him are taking pictures to hang on the wall and look at in many cases. I would hope he doesn't retouch photos used to document wildlife, but for posters and wall hangers, tea mugs and t shirts, I dont see a problem with it.

#15: Re: Air show pictures Author: dan1dadLocation: St.Louis Missery PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:38 pm
    ----
Hey Pumpkinslinger, what camera you use anyway. The shots are fantastic. I havent bought a new camera since i begrudgingly left the world of film cameras. I had thousand of dollars worth of nikons, cannons and pentax ( my fav was the 6x7 pentax) and even foreign Japaneses tourist would drop jaw in awh when i walked by clinking and clanging from all the hardware around my neck. But thats old news now.
I have bought some digitals, but didnt want to get stuck sinking a ton into them and then have them go the way of film and be obsolete. You know the way technology changes. So, do you have a bundle wrapped up into your digital equipment? or is it something most anyone can buy?

One good things about guns, they might change over time, but they never become obsolete, and they really dont change all that much either. insert projectile, aim , pull trigger, they go boom. Been that way for thousands of years now.

-> Spam-O-Rama