Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: POP!!Location: Cheyenne, Wy PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:54 am
    ----
416 WBY for antelope? Yes!

1st doe fell to the 416 WBY MAG (Heck it is a new gun with no "blood" on it and I could not wait to get to Africa in order to shoot it).

Shot was taken at 452 yds. Right behind the shoulder and out the other.

This is her with my boy! Notice the muzzle break on that 416 MAG!

2nd doe was at 277 yds again with the 416 WBY. One spine hit and she was dead. Load was 330 GS Custom bullets at 3100 fps with RL 19.

#2: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:12 am
    ----
But did you get full penetration? ROFL

Nice shot for him

-DallanC

#3: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: POP!!Location: Cheyenne, Wy PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:44 am
    ----
DallanC wrote:
But did you get full penetration? ROFL

Nice shot for him

-DallanC

Almost Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

#4: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: 515034s10ringLocation: Working my way back up and around PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:12 pm
    ----
Nifty fifty for coyotes and other varmints on farm.......target shooting when they popped up in the 'ol lookin glass, and BOOOOOOM Laughing Sniper Very Happy

Couldn't tell, (nor find out) if it were a pass through shot though Cool

#5: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: POP!!Location: Cheyenne, Wy PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:25 pm
    ----
Yeah! That's what I am talking about! Shocked

#6: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: rpounds PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:44 pm
    ----
My brother hunts most everything with a 338 mag. This includes elk, deer, antelope, pigs, the occasional coyote that happens across his path, etc. The rifle is a custom '98 Mauser that he built and barreled himself. He loves the rifle and shoots that darned cannon really well. He has several other rifles that he could choose from, but he always sticks with that one. The cartridge shoots flat and his groups are better than anything in my safe.

Sure does a number on an Antelope too! Very Happy

#7: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:43 pm
    ----
375 for everything .. Is why the 30-338 M98 will probably never be finished .. Dang Poop , you still got the 416 ?? Has to be a record for you ?? Well ya did have the 378 for a long spell !!
Jack

#8: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: POP!!Location: Cheyenne, Wy PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:15 am
    ----
Jack. the 416 Will go bye-bye when I die. That is for sure. All the others ........................................who knows. Shocked

#9: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:01 pm
    ----
Dont feel bad POP! Sad The only guns that stick around here for long are the ones I had given to me as gifts, the others are just trade materieal for the next one.
Its a never ending cycle that I LOVE! Very Happy

#10: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: POP!!Location: Cheyenne, Wy PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:26 pm
    ----
At least you're not in denial like I was for many years Very Happy

#11: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:53 pm
    ----
My son and I just had to try some big bores on prairie dogs summer before last. He used a 416 Rigby and I broke out the 458 Lott. We didn't shoot too many rounds and I am not sure we had any direct hits, however, we either got them or buryed them. They simply vanished.

#12: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: POP!!Location: Cheyenne, Wy PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:00 am
    ----
458 Lott on Prairie poodles. Ouch...hurts on both sides of the gun. Smile

#13: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: POP!!Location: Cheyenne, Wy PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:57 pm
    ----
My next weird task will be taking grouse with my 35 Whelen!

357 pistol 158 gr bullets at 1200 fps with Unique and headshots. They shoot one solid hole out of my 7600 Whelen pump! Very Happy

#14: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: Flint54Location: North Carolina PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:55 am
    ----
Shocked What do you think of a .54 cal flintlock for squirrels. Would that qualify as wierd for the task? If not how about a .50 BMG for Nutria? Viking Shocked

#15: Re: Ever use wierd calibers for the task at hand? Author: rpounds PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:13 am
    ----
Here's one more that I forgot earlier. Somewhere around here, I have a picture of a bobcat that we took with a Marlin lever in 45-70. Big, big hole . . .

-> Reloading Ammunition